Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who Spin-off Series: TORCHWOOD

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked the Greeks Bearing Gifts episode (OK, in part due to the lesbian action)

I'm enjoying Torchwood too, but it seems like only the swearing/sex/gore is keeping this at the 9pm timeslot in the UK, and not mature, dark stories (necessarily). I'm betting this was could get a UK 15 rating (or US PG-13).

What happened at the end of the Small Worlds fairies episode?
Old 12-05-06, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Harkness is a good "hero" type character but more than once (the Cyberwoman episode and this one) he seems like a heartless asshole, and doesn't understand others' feelings. He only saw Lisa (Cyberwoman) and Mary as evil/dangerous whereas Tosh/Ianto (sp?) felt differently.

Last edited by grim_tales; 12-05-06 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-05-06, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I happened to catch the BBC Christmas commercial where they advertise the new shows for the month. A few quick shots of the Dr. Who special. Finally, the TARDIS is put to more interesting use.
Old 12-05-06, 08:11 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I thought episode 8 was quite good, better than the rest of the bunch (which, overall, have been quite disappointing).

I must admit, however, that I was a bit at the ending.
Old 12-05-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually thought GBG was a great character episode, giving insight into Tosh. She is so sad It showed how lonely she was - she loves Owen, but she doesn't get any male attention so when Mary comes along and gives her compliments or is nice to her, she is seduced by it.
You can see how the device changed her, normally we have something to fall back on "so-and-so is my best friend" or whatever, but all Toshiko heard was her colleagues being mean to her so she doesn't even have that
While I do like Jack's CHARACTER as a whole, I don't his heartless acts at times.

Last edited by grim_tales; 12-05-06 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-05-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Slowly but surely losing interest in this show. I'll finish out the series but my "need-to-watch-now" mentality is slipping away.

Rumor has it that The Sarah Jane Adventures pilot premieres on New Year's Day.
Old 12-05-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the series is silly but good fun, GBG was probably the best episode so far IMO.
Old 12-05-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Slowly but surely losing interest in this show. I'll finish out the series but my "need-to-watch-now" mentality is slipping away.

Rumor has it that The Sarah Jane Adventures pilot premieres on New Year's Day.
I'm completely with you on that one. I got halfway through episode 4 and had enough. Now I'm just checking in on them (via FF) to make sure I don't miss any important cameos.

New Who special and Sarah Jane within a week of each other? Sweet.
Old 12-05-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The BBC1 Christmas and New Year schedule has been confirmed by the BBC Press Office.

Christmas Day sees the Doctor Who special The Runaway Bride starting at the traditional time of 7pm on BBC1.

There is also a special Doctor Who Confidential on BBC1 earlier at 1pm, entitled Music And Monsters.

On New Year's Day The Sarah Jane Adventures begin with Invasion Of The Bane at 4.50pm.
Old 12-05-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really get what problems people are having with the show. I've been enjoying it just as much as the Doctor Who eps.
Old 12-05-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just don't care for any of the characters, including Captain Jack (who was a much more interesting character on Who).

If I don't like any of the characters, it's a very rare occurance I'll like the show.
Old 12-14-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched Cyberwoman last night. It was pretty good. Sad for a bit but Chew is right in saying, the characters aren't really that interesting and Captain Jack is not as fun anymore with no Doctor or Rose to bounce off of.

I thought what the Reception guy did, even though he cared for his girlfriend was just ludicrous. How did he sneak her in under everyone's nose? And how did everyone not know she was there? I would have shot the guy that put everyone's life in danger.

Are we ever going to find out how Jack got back?

I just don't think John Barrowman has the gravitas to play a dark character like this.
The person who was watching this episode with me said the same thing. He didn't think he had the range (kinda like Scott Bacula on Enterprise) to play such a dark character.

Last edited by riley_dude; 12-14-06 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-14-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I just finished Cyberwoman as well. I think the worst part of the episode was Yanto and the Woman. I didn't have a problem with Jack - but I do agree he could have been a bit darker. I have a feeling we'll see more as the series progresses.

Anybody else have a problem with the female "lead"? She just isn't getting it done on a lot of levels for me - mainly her acting. Likewise, I'm not fond of the female scientist.

Anyway, I have a feeling I should have finished watching Who 2 before beginning this series, as it appears some of the events that will happen at the end of that happen before this series.
Old 12-14-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cyberwoman was the episode where I lost interest in Torchwood. I have the other episodes but I haven't watched them yet. I'm sort of collecting them out of habit.

Apparently, the show is doing well. There was a bidding war between BBC 2 & BBC 3 over who's going to show Series Two first (BBC 2 won).
Old 12-14-06, 10:22 PM

The most recent episode, "Random Shoes" was practically a frame-for-frame remake of "Love & Monsters."
Old 12-30-06, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Liked Small Worlds and Countrycide but disliked Greeks bearing gifts. Lame.
The writing needs work and there needs to be more of a comradery between the Torchwood members/cast.
Old 12-30-06, 12:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
After watching and enjoying most of Dr. Who Series 2, I could not resist watching Torchwood so after a day or two of waiting I was able to watch all the episodes broadcast so far. I thought it started out pretty strong with Ep. 1 but went downhill quickly from Ep. 2 to Ep. 5. Then Eps. 6 to 10 redeemed the show for me with some great writing, acting, and direction. Ep. 11 was a slight letdown but I'm looking forward to the last 2 episodes to wrap up the season. I have to say that this Capt. Jack seems like a totally different character than the one from Dr. Who Series 1 probably due to the different tone between the two shows, and so far has not been a very sympathetic character until Ep. 10 "Out of Time". I'm enjoying Torchwood so far, it's not as good as Dr. Who Series 2 but still pretty decent.
Old 01-01-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Cyberwoman- Here we have tie in with Dr Who. It appears that one of the members of torchwood rescued his girlfriend part way through a cyberman upgrade. The only thing I didn't like about this episode was the design of the cyberwoman, way to sexy. She should have been more manly.

Small worlds - Little monsters fly around pretending to be fairies or maybe they are fairies. They protect some girl they chosen to join them. Child molester is killed, a fake daddy is killed, a old lady is killed all to protect the child. Well the old lady was killed just shits and giggles but any way. Oh I guess the fake daddy was killed because he made a fence that blocked the kid from going to the magic fairy garden. Child molester was killed because he was a bad man. Crappy episode.

Crazy people killing people? = forgot the name of it. Anyway we have a town that gets up and decide to kill people every 10 years. Then they eat them. The kicker is these are regular people and not magic beings or aliens, just regular people like the ones that live next to you. You know the ones that teach your kids, bring you your mail, and serve your food. Yeah those people are going to kill you and eat you up. Pretty good episode. I like the little love triangle they started in this episode. Well actually it started in cyberwoman. To bad all the ladies are ugly, though I'd screw each of them twice. hmmm mabye I'd to the asian twice the other one is kind of scary with those bug eyes.

Greeks bering gifts - Alien crash lands on earth, how many freaking times is this going to happen, and starts killing. How come aliens don't crash to earth and start giving out gifts. Oh I guess this one did give out a gift, but it fucked that girl up so it doesn't count. If you like lesbian sex scenes this is a good episode. What's this like the second lesbian kiss scene. Oh Jack kissed that one guy in cyberwoman, man that was hot. All in all a pretty good episode with a bad ending. The asian girl should be put in jail for what she did. Now that I think about it that one guy that brought in the cyberwoman should be put in jail also.

I can see why this is one of th top rated shows in the UK.
Old 01-01-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xraybies
I have to say that this Capt. Jack seems like a totally different character than the one from Dr. Who Series 1 probably due to the different tone between the two shows, and so far has not been a very sympathetic character until Ep. 10 "Out of Time". I'm enjoying Torchwood so far, it's not as good as Dr. Who Series 2 but still pretty decent.
Capt Jack has been on Earth for at least 100 years if all the little clues are correct. Time changes a man. Unless he has some kind of time machine which is actually possible.

I just thought of something. He went back in time to point before he first came to Earth in Dr Who. hmmm maybe I have my timetable mixed up.
Old 01-02-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They keep killing Suzie = A return of the glove. If the glove doesn't fit you must aquit. Suzie is brought back to life to stop a killer. And guess who the killer is. Wrong its someone else or maybe you were right. Interesting episode. Not good but not bad. It seems to be setup for something big and bad. Kind of like Bad Wolf in the Dr Who. I'm thinking satan or the alien playing satan from Dr Who will make a visit either that or some alien with another glove is coming.
Old 01-02-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How many episodes total for the first series?

John Barrowman tied the knot over the Christmas Holidays.
Good for him!
Old 01-02-07, 12:46 PM

13 total episodes, with the first two and the last two shown back to back. So, the finale aired last night in the UK.
Old 01-02-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How is this show being received in the UK? Do people find it kinda dull like most of the people in this forum?
Old 01-08-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Managed to finish up the first series. Below may contain spoilers...

I actually don't feel in the mood to talk about the plot points in the final epsiodes. I did feel as though "Out of Time" was rushed, but I think it actually helped develop a lot of the characters more than we had seen to date.

I think the added character development in "OoT" really helped set up the final two episodes. I think I actually cared for each of the characters, although in some scenes I still wasn't exactly sure what their motivation was. All-in-all I think this series got progressively better as the season went on, and the commont plot string throughout the series becomes clearly evident in episode 13. Brilliant really. Especially since it appears to be linked to "Who" in more ways than one.

One some levels a chliffhanger and other not. Actually looking foward to this coming back for a second series (confirmed).

Has anybody heard anything about BBCA or SciFi picking this one up?

Just finished, so I'm sure I'll have more later as others chime in.
Old 01-09-07, 10:54 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've only made it through episode 6 but enjoying the series so far. By aiming it towards adults it mostly avoids the pitfalls of the many Star Trek sequels. Room for improvement, to be sure, but lots there to like, too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.