Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek TOS "Balance of Terror"

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
Originally posted by Chew
Although this is true, I meant: based on Balance of Terror, Starfleet of Archer's time should only be capable of audio communication and not ship-to-ship visual.

Yeah but as I said before, maybe in Archer's time, ship to ship visual required both ships to have visual capacity in order to communicate visually, while in Kirk's time, they did not (see how Spock was able to lock on to the Romulans signaling home base to show their bridge). If so, that could explain the discrepancy.
Old 06-18-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Dog
Yeah but as I said before, maybe in Archer's time, ship to ship visual required both ships to have visual capacity in order to communicate visually, while in Kirk's time, they did not (see how Spock was able to lock on to the Romulans signaling home base to show their bridge). If so, that could explain the discrepancy.
OK, I'll accept that.

But, how the Romulans can have a decent cloaking device in Archer's time and be unable for ship-to-ship visual communication is a little strange!
Old 06-18-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk God

OK, I'll accept that.

But, how the Romulans can have a decent cloaking device in Archer's time and be unable for ship-to-ship visual communication is a little strange!

Well they didn't have warp capability in Kirk's time either. I assume that they got warp capability when they traded cloaking techology to the Klingons for Klingon warships (equipped with warp drive).

Maybe they negotiated the treaty right after a battle and their 'satellite dish' was knocked out.
Old 06-18-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alright, I'm in a devil's advocate mood (mainly 'cause it's Trek and I'm bored).

While the Bird of Prey in Balance of Terror didn't have Warp capability due to the energy required for it's cloaking device and deadly weapon, I'm not so sure the Romulans didn't have warp ability during Kirk's time.

Case in point: The Deadly Years. Commodore Stocker took command of Enterprise while Kirk and Spock were afflicted. In order to get to his new Starbase post, the Commodore took the ship through the Romulan neutral zone. Logic dictates ( ) that the Enterprise had to be at high warp in order to get there as quickly as possible, yes? If so, why did they bother to drop to impulse in order to engage the Romulans at all when they could've zipped right by them without any effort?

On the other hand, it's been so long since I've seen the episode, the Romulans may have knocked them out of warp with their first shot and the point is moot.

God, I miss good Trek......
Old 06-18-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Alright, I'm in a devil's advocate mood (mainly 'cause it's Trek and I'm bored).

While the Bird of Prey in Balance of Terror didn't have Warp capability due to the energy required for it's cloaking device and deadly weapon, I'm not so sure the Romulans didn't have warp ability during Kirk's time.

Case in point: The Deadly Years. Commodore Stocker took command of Enterprise while Kirk and Spock were afflicted. In order to get to his new Starbase post, the Commodore took the ship through the Romulan neutral zone. Logic dictates ( ) that the Enterprise had to be at high warp in order to get there as quickly as possible, yes? If so, why did they bother to drop to impulse in order to engage the Romulans at all when they could've zipped right by them without any effort?

Scotty clearly says that the Romulan's engines are simple impulse. It kind of makes sense as well when they put the map of the area up - Romulus is very close to the neutral zone so they would not necessarily need warp capabilities. Although it is inconsistent that their weapons can move at high warp speeds (the Enterprise retreats from the Romulan plasma shot at 'emergency warp speed' and the plasma eventually catches up with them).

Now in The Deadly Years, who knows? We already know that Stocker is an paper pushing idiot so maybe he had no clue. Of course - you could be right - maybe when you get hit, it at least temporarily knocks you out of warp.