TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone watching new Adult Swim cartoons?

Old 06-11-03, 07:00 AM
Banned

Anyone watching new Adult Swim cartoons?

We've finally got some new Harvey Birdman! I liked the 2 parter that opened the season, but wasn't too crazy about the Eliminator X one (did I get that name right?) ATHF has been good too. I haven't seen the new Sealabs yet...

FS
Old 06-11-03, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know there are people who hate Japanese animation, but I'm looking forward to viewing Kikaider (currently TIVO'd). I'm a big fan of the original live action series and Ishinomori's original designs.
Old 06-12-03, 06:37 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

I'm the other way around- Once I got past the excitement of new episodes, I found I didn't care for "Deadomutt", but the 'X, the Exterminator" was great.
Sadly, it looks like that's it for a while because reruns are scheduled through August.
Old 06-13-03, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Uh oh!
Old 06-13-03, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by fujishig
I know there are people who hate Japanese animation, but I'm looking forward to viewing Kikaider (currently TIVO'd). I'm a big fan of the original live action series and Ishinomori's original designs.
I'm a huge anime fans but so far it doesnt look good. I'll stick with it a while longer but the animation is really bad and all the episodes seem exactly the same.
Old 06-13-03, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pac-Rat
I'm the other way around- Once I got past the excitement of new episodes, I found I didn't care for "Deadomutt", but the 'X, the Exterminator" was great.
Sadly, it looks like that's it for a while because reruns are scheduled through August.
So, a whole three new episodes and now reruns for two months?

Wow, sounds like they're taking the South Park route.
Old 06-13-03, 08:36 AM

I checked out Kikaider last night. I liked the soundtrack, but the animation wasn't very good and varied in its quality from scene to scene. Plus, it really doesn't seem that original of a series. I could be wrong but it looks like yet another "invincible hero" who will win a fight every episode.
Old 06-13-03, 09:57 AM
Banned

I wish they'd get more off-the-wall programming like Aqua Teen and The Brak Show, because I despise this crappy anime that they run on weeknights. Give it a couple nights a week, and balance it out with programs that appeal to those of us that don't like Anime.
Old 06-13-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by JestersTear
I wish they'd get more off-the-wall programming like Aqua Teen and The Brak Show, because I despise this crappy anime that they run on weeknights. Give it a couple nights a week, and balance it out with programs that appeal to those of us that don't like Anime.

I can't really stand anime myself.
Old 06-13-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The way Adult Swim shows it, I don't know how anyone could.
Old 06-13-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JestersTear
Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Lupin the 3rd, Inu Yasha all crap? That's a bold statement.
Old 06-13-03, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by outcastja
Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Lupin the 3rd, Inu Yasha all crap? That's a bold statement.
No, it's an assessment. They all look like crap to me. The dialogue blows, the animation is horrible. Cowboy Bebop's commerical on Cartoon Network is absolutely retarded.

I don't have a problem with CN airing the stuff, but they need to give more balanced attention to the Adult Swim fans that don't like anime.
Old 06-13-03, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Chew
So, a whole three new episodes and now reruns for two months?

Wow, sounds like they're taking the South Park route.
Could be even longer. I was just going by what CN's site said, and it only went until August.
Old 06-13-03, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, it's an assessment. They all look like crap to me. The dialogue blows, the animation is horrible. Cowboy Bebop's commerical on Cartoon Network is absolutely retarded.
Don't worry, I agree with you. It looks terrible. I don't know how it makes fans... Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorite shows ever, if not my favorite... but I can't belive how bad it's looks here. If I didn't know what it was, and I saw one of those commericals or tuned in for 30 seconds, I'd make a point to never watch it again. I get ill when I see it like that, I feel violated! lol. I wish Cartoon Network wouldn't air any anime.
Old 06-14-03, 04:47 PM
mwj

What I have watched, Harvey and Sealab, has been funny but I still don't catch it as often as Futurama and Family Guy.
Old 06-16-03, 09:54 AM
Banned

DVD's are coming!

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/42...html?fromint=1

IGNFF Exclusive: ''Adult Swim'' Block Paddles to DVD
Space Ghost C2C, Aqua Teen being readied for big push.

June 06, 2003 - In a move that will delight viewers of Cartoon Network's "Adult Swim" programming block, a number of original programs produced for the block are being prepped for DVD release.

In an exclusive interview with IGN FilmForce's Ken Plume, set to run in early July, Cartoon Network executive Mike Lazzo clued us in on some details for the upcoming releases.

First up is Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, one of the first original productions for Cartoon Network.The first set for the series, which has recently returned to the Adult Swim line up, will include the first season-and-a-half of the series as well as tons of extras, including special promotional materials produced with the characters and extra on-air bits, such as a New Year's countdown and a special for the premiere of the Jim Carrey film, The Mask.

The next set due out is the more recent series, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, the first of the new Adult Swim programs to reach a full season of 24 episodes. Soon after, Sealab 2021 will reach the 24-episode mark, making it eligible for DVD release. Other Adult Swim series, such as the recent addition, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, and the returning Space Ghost spin-off, The Brak Show, are expected to follow as soon as they reach the 24-episode mark.

Lazzo also clued us in on some changes for the Adult Swim block, including some new series and hopes for new episodes of old favorites. Keep an eye out for our exclusive interview during the first week of July!
Old 06-18-03, 11:54 AM

Are the Japanese versions of the Lupin shows worth tracking down? I just started watching it and find it enjoyable (I am a fan of old style anime: Gatchaman 1...) What season are they showing in English now?
Old 06-18-03, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by FlashStash
DVD's are coming!

There's a thread about the DVD's in the Talk forum for those interested.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=297435