TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jag 04/22/03

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-03, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jag 04/22/03

Episode: Ice Queens Part 1

Quick Summary: A murdered JAG officer teams up the JAG staff with agents of the Naval Criminal Investigative Services (NCIS).

Normally, JAG doesn't get a weekly thread. But, this is part one of a two part introduction to the spin-off series that starts next year, NCIS. (Think the CSI episode where they went to Miami last year).
Old 04-22-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
This should be an interesting one. I don't know about this spin-off though. Oversaturation of the CSI format.

I've actually been getting into JAG in the last few months. I've been watching the old ones on USA weeknights also.
Old 04-22-03, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I was going to post asking if this was going to be for a spin off. it seems to be focusing on the NCIS guys. and it had a new font for the credits
Old 04-22-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm beginning to think they have the spin-off incorrectly named. It should be NCSI
Old 04-22-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Just finished watching. Haven't seen JAG since the ep where Singer leaves for San Diego. Great show. Looking forward to next week!
Old 04-23-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<SPOILER>
I was surprised that the body turned out to be Singer. In real life, she is married to David Elliot (Harm). Since he is the star of the show, she would always have an opportunity to guest star. Unless there is a big twist, guess she doesn't want to be on the show anymore. Too bad about the kid.
<END SPOILER>
Old 04-23-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that I've seen the whole episode, it turned out to be much more of a NCIS episode guest-starring the folks from JAG rather than a spin-off starting point.

What's the deal with CBS? Is this their backdoor attempt to get a third CSI program on the air?
Old 04-23-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It looks like they wanted to create the pilot and make sure they got their money's worth. If it never got picked for a series, it can always run as a JAG episode.

THe doctor guy is annoying. If they are supposed to be military, what is a goth girl doing rthere & in those clothes?
Old 04-23-03, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by resinrats
<SPOILER>
I was surprised that the body turned out to be Singer. In real life, she is married to David Elliot (Harm). Since he is the star of the show, she would always have an opportunity to guest star.

I didn't know that.

Now that I've seen the whole episode, it turned out to be much more of a NCIS episode guest-starring the folks from JAG rather than a spin-off starting point.

What's the deal with CBS? Is this their backdoor attempt to get a third CSI program on the air?

My thoughts exactly. This was essentially a pilot episode that had some of the JAG players in it. In fact, did you notice the how they did not use the text setting format. Plus they also used different fonts for the opening credits.

I did not like the dead-body perspective. I assume that this will be a trademark of the NCIS spin-off.

Yes of course this is an attempt by CBS to capitalize on 2 of their most popular programs: CSI and JAG. They see what L&O has done for the Peacock Network.
Old 04-23-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
ok, killing Singer didn't shock me that much although it is odd for JAG to kill off a (semi)regular, but I never liked her so it's no loss to me
what did shock me was how gruesome they made it. Crows eating off her face? come on, JAG's not like that
I don't mind gory stuff, but it just doesn't fit with JAG
Old 04-23-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mikehunt
ok, killing Singer didn't shock me that much although it is odd for JAG to kill off a (semi)regular, but I never liked her so it's no loss to me
what did shock me was how gruesome they made it. Crows eating off her face? come on, JAG's not like that
I don't mind gory stuff, but it just doesn't fit with JAG
I guess the gore will be a part of the new show. Since the episode was more NCIS than JAG, I guess they went with NCIS syle.

I think JAG is probably my favorite show on TV right now. It is probably 7 years old and still going strong. Stories are still interesting and cases always seem to have a twist to them. They don't resort to people cheating on each other in love lives like other shows would. No pairing everyone up and breaking htem up every few episodes. Bud and Harriett are still in love and married. Bud has never thought of cheating. Any other show would have Bud cheating on Harriet a few episodes after they got married.

They have pulled some shocking things before: Bud losing a leg and his second child dying. The leg loss ended up giving Bud some pretty good character building plots.
Old 04-23-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by resinrats
I guess the gore will be a part of the new show. Since the episode was more NCIS than JAG, I guess they went with NCIS syle.

I think JAG is probably my favorite show on TV right now. It is probably 7 years old and still going strong. Stories are still interesting and cases always seem to have a twist to them. They don't resort to people cheating on each other in love lives like other shows would. No pairing everyone up and breaking htem up every few episodes. Bud and Harriett are still in love and married. Bud has never thought of cheating. Any other show would have Bud cheating on Harriet a few episodes after they got married.

They have pulled some shocking things before: Bud losing a leg and his second child dying. The leg loss ended up giving Bud some pretty good character building plots.

I've always thought of JAG as a throwback show. At its core, it is wholesome show - something that you could easily picture in black&white and being on in the 1950s. It hints at violence and sexuality here and there but it never throws it in your face. The characters are very attractive and likeable. The writers haven't caved in on the attraction btwn Harm and Mac by putting them together like most shows would have done by now. I suspect that whenever JAG ends its run, they will finally bring them together to give fans the payoff they have waited so long for.

This uniqueness (for a drama) of JAG is why I have started to watch it and catch it in re-runs on USA.
Old 04-23-03, 12:04 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
It's a good show, but it would be better with some Catherine Bell shower scenes like they use in NYPD Blue.
Old 04-23-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Bandoman
It's a good show, but it would be better with some Catherine Bell shower scenes like they use in NYPD Blue.

Yeah - but let's wait until next season for that since she has a bun in the oven right now.
Old 04-23-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

there's some movie she was in that shows some frontal nudity. can't remember the name of it though
Old 04-23-03, 03:11 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Originally posted by mikehunt
there's some movie she was in that shows some frontal nudity. can't remember the name of it though
FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAN, JOG YOUR MEMORY!!!!!
Old 04-23-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

I'll check mrskin.com when I get home unless somebody can go there and check it out.

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-23-03 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-25-03, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

FYI from zap2it.com...

JAG' Star Re-Enlists
Fri, Apr 25, 2003 10:27 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - David James Elliott will spend another year in uniform on the CBS military drama "JAG."

Elliott has signed a new contract with producer Paramount Network TV, according to industry reports. The agreement will give him a significant raise to about $300,000 per episode.

CBS hasn't officially picked up the series for a ninth season (the first of those on NBC), but its prospects are good. The series, which leads off the network's strong Tuesday lineup, draws close to 13.5 million viewers in an average week, and CBS is considering a spinoff for next season.

Elliott's re-signing further cements "JAG's" return, sources say. Co-star Catherine Bell was already signed through next season.