Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Directivo: 35 hours enough record time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-02, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Directivo: 35 hours enough record time?

I've noticed a lot of people talking about very large record times on their Tivo hard drive (80+ hours). I'm not a TV addict, but I can see how having a Tivo could turn me into one. Did any of you think 35 hours was enough only to find out you wanted more?

(I can get the whole enchilada for $99... Hughes)
Old 10-30-02, 09:10 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I have the 35 hour, and it pretty much works no problem, occasionally I run out of space, but not very often, Tivo could be a bit more clever as sometimes it tells you it can't record when there is clearly space available.

I think it bases some of the calculations on upcoming shows you will record also.

Are you not going for the Serires 2 Driectivo??
Old 10-30-02, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have upcoming shows set to record as "Save Until I Delete" those take higher priority than a show you're about to schedule.

I find that 139 hours on my DirecTiVo isn't enough, but then I record lots of 4-hour blocks for sporting events and such.

das
Old 10-30-02, 10:24 AM

And it's actually not even 35 hours of recording time. I find that I get between 25 and 30 hours, depending on how much action (movement) (data) is included in the program.

This year, I have had to cancel 3 or 4 season passes, since I am running out of space. I find that since I got DSL for my computer, that I am spending less time watching t.v.

But hopefully I should be picking up 2 of the new Directivo's within the next 2 weeks for $139 each at Circuit City. As long as they don't cancel the transaction.

Chris
Old 10-30-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
Assuming that DirectTivo is like regular TIVO and Replay, that is 35 hours on the lowest quality setting so keep that in mind. I always record my programs on the medium setting which gives about half as much space.
Old 10-30-02, 10:34 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
Assuming that DirectTivo is like regular TIVO and Replay, that is 35 hours on the lowest quality setting so keep that in mind. I always record my programs on the medium setting which gives about half as much space.
Actually, Directivo is actually a perfect quality. You have the digital signal coming in and that is what you see / playback when you watch your program. There is no changing of qualities. All of the other TIVO's and Replay's bring in digital, convert it to analog, and then play it back in digital format, so the signal you get is not the same digital signal that Directv is sending.

That is why with Directivo you cannot record the music stations, since it is a pure / perfect digital signal. Which is why I will only buy Directivo from now on. That and the 2 tuners are the 2 best reasons to get Directivo.

Chris

edit : if you haven't been to the Tivo Community Forum, it is a great place to get all the info you need regarding Directivo.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...p?s=&forumid=7

Last edited by mrpayroll; 10-30-02 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-30-02, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mrpayroll
That is why with Directivo you cannot record the music stations, since it is a pure / perfect digital signal.
Oh, there's an easy way to do that, actually. Just create a wishlist using the keyword "New Wave" or whatever the name of the station is that you want to record, and it will record it just fine. Only downside is that it doesn't record the artist info and names of the tunes.
Old 10-30-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
For me, 30 hrs. on a standalone TiVo was clearly *not* enough.
Adding an extra hard-drive was one of the best things I did in 2001...
Old 10-30-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a 60-hour Replay Tv and with all my guaranteed shows I usually only have 20-25 hours left for other hsows.

If you watch alot of shows 35 would really be cutting it close.
Old 10-30-02, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
Oh, there's an easy way to do that, actually. Just create a wishlist using the keyword "New Wave" or whatever the name of the station is that you want to record, and it will record it just fine. Only downside is that it doesn't record the artist info and names of the tunes.
Which is important if you want to download an MP3 of that song

Chris
Old 10-30-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for your opinions so far. Any sporting events I would record would be watched and deleted quickly. We aren't subscribing to movie channels so that will save disc space, too (I hate HBO. Don't care for their movies or original programming... yes, I know what shows I'm missing!).

I know that series II are on the way, but from what I've read they aren't that different. I found a good deal of getting a Hughes Directivo, dish and installation for only $99. Good enough for me. I'm sure I'll be happy as long as it works with the 2 tuner setup.
Old 10-30-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by atlantamoi
I know that series II are on the way, but from what I've read they aren't that different. I found a good deal of getting a Hughes Directivo, dish and installation for only $99. Good enough for me. I'm sure I'll be happy as long as it works with the 2 tuner setup.
can you post the details of that $99 deal? Parents are looking for something similar, and don't have to wait until Series 2 either if a good deal comes along.
Old 10-30-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

230 hours for me on my DTiVo seems about right. I archive some shows (24 being one of them) and watch all episodes during the summer when there's nothing new on. Seems to work out great.
Old 10-30-02, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

djbrown, I got the deal at www.orbitsatellite.com Just scroll down to the Hughes GXCEBOT.

Make sure you read the fine print very closely. Somebody on this website warned about these guys charging a very hefty price for someone who didn't follow the rules. For example, after you sign up you have to have DirecTV up and running w/in 30 days. Anyway, this site has a lot of good references as well. I believe this same deal could be had for less earlier this year, but I didn't find anything better than $99 at the moment for a Directivo.
Old 10-30-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mrpayroll
Which is important if you want to download an MP3 of that song
MP3? What's that?