Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I buy the Buffy episode "Once More With Feeling" on DVD for $40?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-02, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can I get some feedback on this? I can be very compulsive when it comes to Buffy stuff. There is an auction for a DVD on Ebay and the seller says it was one of the preview disc for the Emmys. It's not a VCD. It has really nice cover art too.

Someone else is selling a VHS of the same show for $9.99 and claims it to was used for pre-viewing the show and wasn't copied from tv.

I was so dumb to not tape it and now I want to see it so badly and I don't know what to do. I am sure it will air again on FX, but who knows when and certainly not with the added minutes.

What should I do? Is $40 a good deal for something "offically" put out by UPN?

Did anyone else forget to tape it and then wish you had? What did you do? I don't see any other choice but the tape or the DVD. I simply can't wait for the official DVD to come out in like 2 years.

So, if there isn't a choice but to get one or the other, should I get the VHS and just be happy to be able to see it or go all out and buy the DVD?

Buffy fans, please weigh in with your thoughts.

Thanks.
Old 10-28-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't believe it's technically legal to sell or buy those copies, since they were specifically made for Emmy voters. I could be wrong, I'm just assuming it's not ok.

However, I do think $40 is a bit pricey, since I've seen those auctions before. If you are a huge Buffy fan, I don't think the price is so outrageous, though.
Old 10-28-02, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts
be glad it's only $40.. they went for over $200 when they first hit ebay.

read more about what it offers here:
http://www.buffysdomain.com/musical/dvd.shtml
Old 10-28-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by freedexter
I don't believe it's technically legal to sell or buy those copies, since they were specifically made for Emmy voters. I could be wrong, I'm just assuming it's not ok.
I'm sorry if that is true. I didn't think it wasn't legal to sell something that wasn't copied illegally.

I knew VCDs weren't ok to sell, but I didn't think this (both the VHS and the DVD) was the same. I also thought Ebay didn't let auctions go on if they weren't ok.

Damn, this is even worse. Now what do I do? I'll see this show sometime in 2004. I feel like I'm going as crazy as Spike. I keep hearing voices. "Buy it." "Don't Buy It." "Buffy wants you to buy it."
Old 10-28-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by devilshalo
be glad it's only $40.. they went for over $200 when they first hit ebay.

read more about what it offers here:
http://www.buffysdomain.com/musical/dvd.shtml
Thanks. I took a look and that site shows a dvd cover that isn't the same as the one being auctioned.

Now I might just get the VHS to have the show. This person has an excellent rating and doesn't seem to be someone who would scam people. But I checked the last auction for this DVD and no one even made a bid at $40. That doesn't make sense for something that was selling for $200.

And how would someone in Texas get 21 copies of a DVD sent to Emmy voters in California?

Is there a website where Buffy fans might sell or trade a copy of that show (on VHS) to another rapid (literally, at the moment) fan? I have the musical soundtrack and Buffy season 1 and 2 and 3 on pre-order. So, with my apologies to UPN, can I please get this show before I end up moving into the basement of the local high school?

Please?
Old 10-28-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Won't it be on the season 5 (or 6) box set?

If so, I would just apply the 40 bucks to that. You'll just have to wait a little longer.
Old 10-28-02, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Alien Redrum
You'll just have to wait a little longer.
The middle of 2004 if they go at the same rate as they have been. That's not a little longer.
Old 10-28-02, 11:28 PM
Cool New Member

Got usenet access? You can probably download it off of there. I think they just finished posting all of season 4 and are starting up with 5, so it shouldn't be that much longer till it hits season 6.
Old 10-29-02, 12:36 AM
Banned

I remember them going for $200.00 bucks a few months ago. I wanted a copyso I boughgt a VCD, and ask yourself do you really want to watch any other episode of Season 6 other than Once More with Feeling? I dont.

I remember reading that it may be released seperately also like the Soundtrack. It was some interview with Joss and he said it may be sooner than later.
Old 10-29-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by dolphinboy
And how would someone in Texas get 21 copies of a DVD sent to Emmy voters in California?
if you were looking at this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=727876307

Read the description more carefully:

This is the episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer that was sent as an Emmy considerate show. "Once More, With Feeling" uncut and on DVD format. This is a high quality DVD of this episode.

nowhere does it say that it's the actual EMMY DVD, only a HIGH QUALITY DVD of the EPISODE. smells like a bootleg to me...

Last edited by devilshalo; 10-29-02 at 03:07 AM.
Old 10-29-02, 02:40 AM

Dvd & vhs are the same. I have had both at one time.
Its the first broadcast version.

Think I have a sealed emmy vhs somewhere around here.
(i just can not listen to the singing anymore)
My suggestion is get the vhs version, and save
your bucks for the set when it comes out.

Though the cover art is cool...Vhs art is the same also.
I doubt it will be used again??? But a $40 dvd is too much.
Better to trade for this one. Unless U have $$$ to burn.
Old 10-29-02, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

here's the original thread about it when it first came out back in May.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...=buffy+musical
Old 10-29-02, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AAAARRRGGHHHH!!!!

Sorry, I had to get that out of me. First, VCD's are perfectly LEGAL to buy, sell and own. They started out going to foreign markets to get the shows over there that take longer to get on TV over there. I have all the episodes of Crusade this way. The WB owns it and released it over in Asia.

Second, what this person is doing could be illegal, as far as I know. The Emmy tapes are just for voters/studios etc to preview to see what's been nominated and why. Flunkies for the studios manage to get copies of these all the time, mass produce them and sell them on Ebay for outlandish prices. I'm surprised Ebay hasn't pulled the auctions. Usually they're good at getting illegal stuff off of their site.

My suggestion would be a region free player. I got one and have the first two Seasons of Angel on DVD and the first four seasons of Buffy. They are already out in the UK and Australlia. If you would like to see if your manufacturer left a loop hole for you to turn off regional encoding, then go to www.vcdhelp.com and they will tell you if that's the case or not.

Either way, good luck.
Old 10-29-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
After reading most of the auctions, 3 different things are being sold.

First is a "legal to own/sell" DVD that was included in Variety Magazine. It was not a true Emmy screener, but included "For Your Consideration".

Second is many ILLEGAL copies in VCD form/DVD/VHS form.

Third, I did find one legit looking VHS Emmy Screener VHS
Old 10-29-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 353 Likes on 229 Posts
Are you sure it was an Emmy dvd or a dvd out of Variety magazine (put there to get Emmy votes--all subscribers got them, it was like a bonus in the magazine.)

If you're sure it's legit and not just a copy, and authenticity matters to you, then go for it. Otherwise, I'd just make a copy (I'll email you in a sec if you have a valid email list). I'm a HUGE Buffy fan and have seasons 1-4 on dvd right now, but I download the recent episodes because I don't want to wait till they're out on dvd in the US (I bought a few out of region box sets, but I'm waiting for 5 to come out in the US since US releases seem to be about half the cost of UK releases).

Anyway, good luck. We watch the Buffy Musical a couple times a month at my house, so it's got great replay value.

tasha

A few minutes later: Never mind about the email since you opted out of getting them. I don't think we're allowed to talk about download websites etc, but if you look, you shouldn't have any trouble downloading Buffy eps.

Last edited by tasha99; 10-29-02 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-29-02, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So I'm not the only one that has the melodies from OMWF running through my head on a daily basis?
Old 10-29-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
question, is it legal to tape a tv show off of tv and then sell it on ebay. i see plenty of these all the time. so i was just wondering
Old 10-29-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unfortunately, it happens to me too much!
Old 10-29-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I find myself humming "Life's a show" a lot, and also the group ensemble for the "Walk through Fire" bit.
Old 10-29-02, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
question, is it legal to tape a tv show off of tv and then sell it on ebay. i see plenty of these all the time. so i was just wondering
No, it isn't.

It's a violation of copyright laws and a violation of eBay policies. (Of course, eBay doesn't do a damn thing about it... but they still have policies forbidding it. The warning comes up right before you try to sell anything in the movies/tv category.)
Old 10-29-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Chrisedge
After reading most of the auctions, 3 different things are being sold.

First is a "legal to own/sell" DVD that was included in Variety Magazine. It was not a true Emmy screener, but included "For Your Consideration".
if you look closely... it clearly states on the back cover NOT FOR RENTAL OR RESALE. i'm too lazy to scan my copy again
Old 10-29-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Rypro 525
a lot of the old school martial arts movies are like this because no one holds the rights.. however, i'm not so sure what celestial pictures will do now that they own the shaw bros. library.
Old 10-30-02, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would just wait til the set comes out...or just keep watching and they will probably re-air it.
Old 10-30-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
So I'm not the only one that has the melodies from OMWF running through my head on a daily basis?
Nope. Everytime I put laundry away my daughter and I croon "They got the mustard out!!!!!"
Old 10-30-02, 02:29 PM

I found my sealed emmy video last nite.
Plus a few other dvd's & video's
Forgot how goofy the cover looked on the musical.

Says on the back of the box not for rental or resale.
Doesn't say anything about trading though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.