Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

what are the best TV commercials ever?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-02, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there's a commercial for a pest killing company where a cockroach crawls across the screen. i loved it because it actually scared people and a few even threw things at their television, breaking them, and tried to sue the company for new tv's.

aside from that, fox sports west has commercials featuring 2 lakers fans, alan and jerome, i think. they erase all the lakers players out of game footage and insert these two guys playing against different teams. i think they're some of the funniest, coolest commercials i've seen. there are 3: utah, san antonio and los angeles.

they're listed here

Last edited by monkeyboy; 06-14-02 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-14-02, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My all time favorite are the Miller Light comericals.

"All we need is one pin Rodney!!!!"
Old 06-14-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by UWSarge
Outpost.com had some great ones. Two of them come to mind. One was firing gerbils at a sign, the other was wolves attacking a marching band.
I loved these commercials. Also, Jack in the Box commercials usually make me laugh.
Old 06-14-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JaxComet

Yeah, everybody gets a Jaguar for their birthday. I thought that one was pushing things a bit.......

I have to admit there's a reson why I asked about the Jag spot. I wrote it. I was wondering if many people had seen or remembered it. Did you happen to catch SNL's parody of it? In the ad world, that's one of the best compliments you can get.

And by the way, the guy in the spot got the Jag for Christmas, not his birthday. Getting a Jag on your birthday would be just plain silly.
Old 06-14-02, 02:31 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by monkeyboy
there's a commercial for a pest killing company where a cockroach crawls across the screen. i loved it because it actually scared people and a few even threw things at their television, breaking them, and tried to sue the company for new tv's.

I hate that commercial. The first time I saw it, I freaked!
Old 06-14-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Pac-Rat
1984 Apple commercial
This was the very 1st commercial I thought of. I remember watching it live, I was impressed with the quality because I had never seen anything like it before. It truely did turn the Ad world in a whole new direction.
Old 06-14-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by monkeyboy

aside from that, fox sports west has commercials featuring 2 lakers fans, alan and jerome, i think. they erase all the lakers players out of game footage and insert these two guys playing against different teams. i think they're some of the funniest, coolest commercials i've seen. there are 3: utah, san antonio and los angeles.

they're listed here
My wife saw this commercial the other day and yelled at me to get the big bug on the TV. Very Funny moment in our family life. I tried not make her feel to silly, but it was not easy to keep my mouth shut.
Old 06-15-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked the one for AWIA, i think thats how it's spelled. the guys driving waving and rocking to Another bites the dust with an older dude sitting next to him frowning, then it pans out to show he's driving a hearse in a funeral proccesion.

I also get a kick out of the jetta commercial where the guy drags his wife out side to show her the windows going down when he turns the key in the lock.

and that breast exam by cam commerical is funny as hell too. shame adcritic went away.
Old 06-16-02, 12:38 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

The coca-cola commercial where people from all over the world are singing: "...I'd like to buy the world a coke ..."

A VW commercial where the couple is in the car after returning a video and the husband says "Remember the video that we made? I think I just returned it." The car screeches to a halt and you see people in the video store with their mouths open.
Old 06-17-02, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by UWSarge
Outpost.com had some great ones. Two of them come to mind. One was firing gerbils at a sign, the other was wolves attacking a marching band.
Outrageously funny!!! Especially the Gerbil one! I also loved the fashion shows from behind the Iron Curtain back in the 80's "Dayvear" "Eveninkvear" "Svimvear" and each was wearing the same thing just adding an innertube or flashlight!

The latest commercials to have me screaming deal with the old lady backing her car out of her garage and she rips it all to hell not too mention knocking down the tree as well.

Lastly, the dunkin donuts commercial with the guy and the pager is just so me...it cracks me up!
Old 06-17-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One of my favorites is a Lee Jeans commercial in the early 90s.

It starts off with a guy on a gurney who looked as if he had just had a nasty car accident. He was surrounded by doctors and machines (that go PING). The camera pans to the guy's face as he's listening to the machines. He suddenly realizes the machines are all beeping to the same rhythm as "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell, so he begins to softly sing:

"Now I know I've got to" (beep beep) "run away, I've got t" (beep beep) "get away..."

The doctors notice and begin singing along.

Then the guy flatlines and the doctors defib him while singing "I can't sleep at night OOOOH!" and as they sing OOOOH, the guy jerks back to life and the machines start beeping to the song again.

I also like the new California Cheese commercial with the two cows laying inside a barn at dawn while a rooster is crowing, talking about what they want to do that day. One of them says, "There's no rush, hit the snooze."

The next thing you hear is a THUMP and a rooster comes flying through the barn door and smacks into an old metal tub.

Good cheese comes from happy cows.
Old 06-17-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Some favorites are actually foriegn commericals...

One where the whole family gets into the car, and the song says something like, "I want to ***** you in the A$$!". It was an ad for English Lessons.

Another good one was from Japan I thnk. It was for some soap and you see all these kids using the soap and washing with it. Then there's a big tub full of kids an one farts so little bubbles pop up and all the other kids stop singing and such and all move away.

Plus there's a pretty good one of a guy fighting a bear for his beer. Not sure what beer that was.

But on the whole I have to give the best commeicals to Nike, Budweiser, and ESPN.

Anyone like those black and white ESPN hockey commericals? Or the Football ones with that old vobrating toy football game? And one of my personal favorites, the one where they get the next hot-shot young sportcaster...

"Jimmy Key? What is he, like 45 now? Even I can hit Jimmy Key"

"He just wasn't ready..."
Old 06-17-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked those Bartles and Jaymes wine cooler ads from the mid-80s. I remember when the ads first started, some thought the guys (actually two actors) were really struggling entrepreneurs. I think one of the early ads had one of them saying they spent all their money for the TV commercial and didn't have any money left to print labels for their bottles.
Old 06-17-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I forgot to add the two commericals for a video game, I think it was BattleTank or something like that. It's the one where they chase and run over Snuggle the Bear with a Tank, and in the second one, rebuild him only to hit him with a Tank. Classic.
Old 06-18-02, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts
Originally posted by mllefoo
One of my favorites is a Lee Jeans commercial in the early 90s.

It starts off with a guy on a gurney who looked as if he had just had a nasty car accident. He was surrounded by doctors and machines (that go PING). The camera pans to the guy's face as he's listening to the machines. He suddenly realizes the machines are all beeping to the same rhythm as "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell, so he begins to softly sing:

"Now I know I've got to" (beep beep) "run away, I've got t" (beep beep) "get away..."

The doctors notice and begin singing along.

Then the guy flatlines and the doctors defib him while singing "I can't sleep at night OOOOH!" and as they sing OOOOH, the guy jerks back to life and the machines start beeping to the song again.
Jusdt what I was going to post, except that the commercial is for Levi's Wide Leg Jeans. That's the problem with brilliant commercials like that, you centainly enjoy the spot, but can't remember what the ad is for. I wonder if there's double meaning to using the music of "Soft Cell" in the ad. BTW, that ad was directed by the brilliant Spike Jonze of "Sabatoge" and "Buddy Holly" music videos as well as Being John Malkovich.

Anyone else here live in Indiana? There was a recent Hoosier Lottery commercial set at an Antique Roadshow. The "expert" is appraising a scratch-off ticket that the woman brought in "I got it at a convience store for a dollar." He says "In my opinion, this could be worth.. I'd say.. up to ONE MILLION DOLLARS!" The stunned woman says "Get out!", then she asks "But I scratched it, will that hurt its value?" "Not at all." He points her to the "markings" that show she's won a chance to be on some millionaire show. Then he says "Thank you for bringing this in." Pretty funny stuff for a local ad.
Old 06-18-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
I saw one I had seen before for Outback Steakhouse last night. I had forgotten how funny it was.

Wife is working on a casserole-thing and the husband wanders into the kitchen. She turns to put the casserole in the fridge and says "Honey, I made my salmon loaf for tonight." She puts it in the fridge and turns back to the counter. He doesn't say anything, just reaches down and unplugs the fridge and wanders out.

Cut to the Outback. The waiter says "Fridge out again?" The husband goes "Yeah, it's weird."

Hysterical.

There's a Sears one where a wife is sitting at a counter. The husband walks in behind her, opens the fridge, checks to see if she is looking and then starts to drink from the milk carton. She doesn't turn, just says "Fridge is out again" as he spits (and he REALLY shoots it out there) the curdled milk into the sink.

Good stuff.