Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-28-17, 01:00 AM   #6001
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The one and only ANDROID thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Some people took advantage of a Best Buy pricing error and got a Samsung Galaxy 8 for about $100...
Wow what a fantastic price!
Old 08-06-17, 10:10 AM   #6002
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I'm starting to get bummed about my android phone. One of the main reasons I ditched my iphone was the fingerprint sensor worked only 50% of the time. (even if I would constantly relearn my fingers to it). The Moto G5 worked perfectly when I got it, and actually unlocked faster than the iphone did.

Now, only a couple months later, the sensor is starting to fail already. And when it fails, trying again won't work, it just plain refuses to recognize my finger at all until I manually unlock it.

WTF? Do I just have bad luck? Or maybe janked up fingers? Is this technology really so fragile? Do I have to keep having android re-learning my fingers? Does anyone else have this kind of problem?
Old 08-06-17, 10:24 AM   #6003
DVD Talk Godfather

No major issues with my Pixel XL, but then again my old iPhone 6 works fine too. Something someone on here suggested for me with regards to the iPhone a year or two back was to set up multiple fingerprints using the same finger to try and capture more patterns.

And of course you can GFY. -chess
Old 08-08-17, 02:08 PM   #6004
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They finally officially announced the Galaxy 8 Active today. Coming out on Friday. $850 retail! Hopefully I can find some trade in deals or something and get rid of my Galaxy 6 Active this weekend.
Old 08-11-17, 04:23 PM   #6005
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone have problems syncing photos to windows 10? I know there are new photos on my phone since the last time I synced, but windows just plain isn't finding them. I have the phone in photo mode (the usb plugin thing). This happens to me a lot lately.

The photos are all getting backed up to google drive, so at least that is working. Sometimes in order to get the damn photos on my PC I have to put the USB cable in file mode, and just drag and drop them myself.
Old 08-12-17, 12:29 PM   #6006
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
So I'm starting to get bummed about my android phone. One of the main reasons I ditched my iphone was the fingerprint sensor worked only 50% of the time. (even if I would constantly relearn my fingers to it). The Moto G5 worked perfectly when I got it, and actually unlocked faster than the iphone did.

Now, only a couple months later, the sensor is starting to fail already. And when it fails, trying again won't work, it just plain refuses to recognize my finger at all until I manually unlock it.

WTF? Do I just have bad luck? Or maybe janked up fingers? Is this technology really so fragile? Do I have to keep having android re-learning my fingers? Does anyone else have this kind of problem?
Just got a S8 a few days ago and decided to try the fingerprint thing. But I also opted for the PIN as well (just in case the print didn't work).

The S8 takes multiple scans of the preferred finger, but you can also add more fingers. However odd your fingers may be, it won't matter as it reads the prints, stores the scans, then compares them to future input of the same finger. Only thing I can think of is the sensor might not be that great in re-reading the scan.

Here's the catch I think to a successful scan for future security recognition:

Press straight down on the sensor, then when the phone does more scans, angle your finger from one side to another, so that more areas of your print are scanned, and this will translate into a better, more successful recognition.

Because if you only scan your flat finger print, the sides will not be recognized.

I don't know if your phone allows multiple scans or fingers, but the S8 seems to do a pretty good job. I barely have to touch it on the sensor and it recognizes it. I tried my other fingers just to see what would happen and it wouldn't recognize them. Kinda cool.

Love the S8, btw. I was using my S4 mini as long as I could, but the battery life would last maybe 1 hour, bought replacements and it didn't help much, and applications were crawling.

Now that I read about the S8 Active being released...it's actually what I REALLY want/need as I would like something a little more tough. But, I can wait. I got a Defender case which seems to protect it fairly well. Otterbox apparently does not have protective screens included with the Defender series anymore, and now they offer the Alpha glass as an "option" for another $45. WTF.

Fingerprint scanning tech is rather reliable, but it really depends on the type of sensor used to capture/read the print.

Swtich to an S8.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 08-12-17 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-12-17, 01:06 PM   #6007
DVD Talk Hero

Every phone that i have used with fps allows for multiple scans of the same finger
Old 08-12-17, 02:25 PM   #6008
DVD Talk Hero

Years in, I've never had a single problem with fingerprint reading on my Galaxy S6.