Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Ohio sues Best Buy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Ohio sues Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ohio sues Best Buy

Saw this on Chubby Wallet... thought some might get a kick out of it. http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/stor...7D&siteid=mktw
Old 08-19-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The basics....

Ohio sues Best Buy over 'unfair acts'
By Russ Britt, CBS.MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 1:28 PM ET Aug. 19, 2004

LOS ANGELES (CBS.MW) - Ohio's attorney general said Thursday that it is suing electronics retailer Best Buy, alleging the company repackaged used goods and sold them as new as well as failing to honor several consumer agreements.

Attorney General Jim Petro is charging Best Buy (BBY: news, chart, profile) with "a pattern of unfair and deceptive acts and practices." In a press release, Petro said he has received hundreds of complaints in the last few years over Best Buy practices.

"The sheer number of complaints, coupled with the types of allegations my office received prompted us to file this lawsuit," Petro said. "The primary objective of this lawsuit is to bring Best Buy into conformity with Ohio's consumer protection laws and ensure that Best Buy's Ohio customers receive the service they deserve."

Petro said that in addition to repackaging used goods, Best Buy failed to honor rebates, refund and exchange programs, as well as service contracts.

49 more to go.......
Old 08-19-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
are they talking about the open box items best buy sells or the ones they get from returns?

also in california I have heard talk of one of the senators I forget exactly, but she was trying to make it a law for companies to mail out rebates within 48 hours or something. she said too many people get taken in when they go buy something and get a mail in rebate that they never get. she is also trying to get a lot of rebates taken off in store. I don't know what the status is on all this though, saw this on the news last month
Old 08-20-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by asianxcore
are they talking about the open box items best buy sells or the ones they get from returns?

also in california I have heard talk of one of the senators I forget exactly, but she was trying to make it a law for companies to mail out rebates within 48 hours or something. she said too many people get taken in when they go buy something and get a mail in rebate that they never get. she is also trying to get a lot of rebates taken off in store. I don't know what the status is on all this though, saw this on the news last month
If only everyone would be like Michelin. I bought four Michelin Aquatread tires, sent in the rebate form and two weeks later I had the check for $50.

As for reselling opened items as new, there used to be a chain called Caldor's, they were notorious for this. Fortunately, they no longer exist.
Old 08-20-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tarantino, where are you?????????
Old 08-20-04, 08:14 PM

Good deal. I hope they win one, or a few million, for the consumer.
Old 08-22-04, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dabaomb
Tarantino, where are you?????????
Here I am! And I could care less.
Old 08-23-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Tarantino

Tarantino not defending Best Buy, I'm shocked, shocked I say. Teh Gay has finally consumed him.
Old 08-23-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this had to happen sooner or later and im happy for it. Best Buy has been blatantly lying to their customers for years now. they will tell you ANYTHING to sell those service plans and when you try to use them you are told the employee who sold it to you didnt know what he was talking about and doesnt work there anymore.

they will lie about every product they sell to make you think it will break instantly. they will trick you to try to get extra money anytime you use a credit card. every state that has a BB should sue, and i cant believe the companys that do business with BB dont raise hell because BB tells you how the product sucks everytime they sell one, just to try to sell their service plans.

it really is a SCUMMY company, ive seen crackheads in the ghetto selling raw meat with more integrity. i will continue to buy DVDs with cash from them, whenever the price is right, but thats all they get from me now.

thumbs up ohio, whos next?
Old 08-24-04, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dabaomb

Tarantino not defending Best Buy, I'm shocked, shocked I say. Teh Gay has finally consumed him.
I'm just tired to death of debating for Best Buy, that's all. It won't change anything on this board. Shop elsewhere, sue the world, who fuckin cares. Not me.
Old 08-24-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You realize that if Ohio sues Best Buy, more than likely the most that will happen is a bunch of hourly employees will take the heat and get canned.
Old 08-25-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would like to hae read exactly what this A.G. means by "repackaged used goods". It will seem pretty sad if this is just the open items that Best Buy sells. And it will seem worse if these people bought items were the boxes were already opened or beat up and just assumed they were new.
Old 08-25-04, 03:28 PM
Retired

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
I would like to hae read exactly what this A.G. means by "repackaged used goods". It will seem pretty sad if this is just the open items that Best Buy sells. And it will seem worse if these people bought items were the boxes were already opened or beat up and just assumed they were new.
It sounds like it might be opened items BB is putting back out as new, which is illegal.

I stopped shopping at video game stores for this reason as lots of the games they sell as new have been opened and taken home by employees, used in the demo machine etc. and you get it home and there's fingerprints, scratches etc. on the discs.
Old 08-26-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
It sounds like it might be opened items BB is putting back out as new, which is illegal.

I stopped shopping at video game stores for this reason as lots of the games they sell as new have been opened and taken home by employees, used in the demo machine etc. and you get it home and there's fingerprints, scratches etc. on the discs.
Hmm...Then by definition isn't what they are doin illegal?

Different thread I suppose.
Old 08-26-04, 09:57 PM

Hey what's all this about Tarantino sticking up for Best Buy this is the first I've heard of this. What all has he said in the past does anyone have links or anything? Thanks.
Old 08-26-04, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jordb2k4
Hey what's all this about Tarantino sticking up for Best Buy this is the first I've heard of this. What all has he said in the past does anyone have links or anything? Thanks.
Just look up any thread dealing with how shitty BB is in any forum, I'm usually there with an opinion (for) my company. No big deal.
Old 08-30-04, 07:24 PM
Retired

Originally posted by tanman
Hmm...Then by definition isn't what they are doin illegal?

Different thread I suppose.
Yes, I believe what the game stores do is illegal. I think their might be an ongoing suit about that as well.
Old 09-03-04, 10:07 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Yes, I believe what the game stores do is illegal. I think their might be an ongoing suit about that as well.
There has been in the past with GameStop I beleive. However, every electronic store does the same thing. Ive seen it done at Target, Wal-Mart, Wherehouse, Sam Goody...dosn't matter.
Old 09-03-04, 10:48 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino
So, you do care some, cool...
Old 09-12-04, 01:58 PM

Borders did stuff like this all the time with their CDs. Anything(return, demo, opened) that wasn't visibly damaged or marked would get re-shrink-wrapped, a new price sticker, and then placed out on the shelves to be sold as new...