Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

National Wholesale Liquidators return policy

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-24-02, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a budget DVD from NWL which looked okay when I bought it but noticed when I opened it, it was damaged on the inside (broken tab, loose DVD which had scratches).

The DVD did not play on my player so I wanted to exchange for one that works (same item). The worker there pointed to a hand written 5" x 7" sign (very unprofessional looking) that says "No refund or exchanges on opened merchandise." I asked for the manager and the manager said the same thing.

I asked, "Your store claims to guarantee quality merchandise. I bought the DVD from your store and it's damaged, shouldn't I be entitled to exchange it for one that works? Where's the guarantee of quality merchandise?

The manager just leaves. The worker then leans over (like a shifty car salesman) and says, "You may have a receipt for the item but how do we know it's ours? You could just buy it somewhere else and return it here. You get where I going at, right?"

I said, "No! This DVD was bought here, there's a whole rack of them (pointing to the rack of DVDs) right here. I just want an even exchange for one that works."

He then says he wants to see the DVD, I hand it to him, and he opens the case and throws it on the floor (cracking the case near the corner). He then says, "No return, no exchange, that's that!"

Now I have a broken DVD case with a scratched DVD and it's from National Wholesale Liquidators. Don't buy from them!
Old 11-28-02, 05:35 AM

I've never had a problem with my local one. I had bought 5 dvds from the them for like 4.99 each. The first 2 I opened and played but was very unhappy with the quality (don't buy Front Row dvds).
I brought them all back thinking I'd get stuck with the 2 opened ones, but to my suprise they gave me a refund on all of them.
Old 11-30-02, 01:07 PM

I suppose it depends on who runs each store. I got my DVD from Bay Parkway and 59th Street in Brooklyn.

I've tried contacting the main office and even emailed the NWL site and still got no response.
Old 12-02-02, 03:47 PM

I had an experience with them once and I would never buy from them again. At the time, their return policy was 10 days. I returned the item in that time frame and also produced my receipt. The cashier kept insisting that it was past due. We exchanged some "words" back and forth. She finally did give me a refund but the item should have been taken back with no questions asked. I left with a bad attitude toward NWL.