Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
9.59%
10.96%
56.16%
10.96%
6.85%
2.74%
0%
1.37%
1.37%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-17, 06:17 PM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: It (Andy Muschietti, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I thought this was fantastic as well. I've read plenty of Stephen king but not this one. I may have to check it out so I know about chapter 2 (I know but better details)
Old 09-12-17, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Saw it today and loved it. Not sure what one poster is on about wirh bad CGI, but i thought it was excellent throughout. The kids were great in this, cinematography excellent, score was fantastic. And Pennywise was superb. Creepy as hell and some interesting things i have never seen before.

I am glad that they didnt add in Freddy or Jason or any other known characters as it would be too much of a talking point and take away from the characters and Pennywise. I gave it 5 stars and cannot wait for Chapter 2.

Oh, and i thought the kid who played Bev was the spitting image of Amy Adams and would see her being cast in thr next movie.
I thought this as well, but it looks like we're not the only ones. Apparently, Sophia Lillis (Beverly Marsh) has already filmed an episode of Sharp Objects, playing a younger version of Amy Adams's character in the show, slated to come out next year.
Old 09-13-17, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw it this morning and really enjoyed it. The cast was terrific.
Old 09-14-17, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I remember when I read this book WAY back in jr high, I was imaging Kim Basinger as adult Bev. I suppose she's out of the running for the sequel.
Old 09-14-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Saw this last night and it was damn entertaining. I've never read the book, but have seen the TV series. If memory serves me correctly, they switched out Mike doing his history recon and replaced it with Ben, right?

Was the film perfect? No. Outside of Beverly, who rocked, all of the kids had undeveloped backstories -- we just get basic snippets of their shitty home life. I don't even think they showed a snippet of Richie's home life at all -- the head bully even got his own "backstory." Sure, one can say it's not a 1000+ page book but the film was 2hrs 15mins. The scenes of them together as a team were great and I felt that that hit home in terms of them escaping their shit world and going up against this new evil. The real bummer will be when Chapter 2 hits, because some of them will not make it and if my assumptions are correct some of the kids will be growing up into some fucked up adults.

I think Jessica Chastain should play adult Beverly. She's already worked with Andy Muschietti, so that's (hopefully) a no-brainer.
Old 09-14-17, 11:05 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The clown just ran screaming at the camera every time. It was scary like throwing a bowling ball through plate glass. It's loud, and I jump, but it's just a bunch of noise.

They turn Bev into a damsel in distress for no reason other than to give them motivation to go into the sewers. But that motivation wasn't needed.

The kids keep wandering away from the group, even when they know that staying together is their greatest defense. Even if you explain this away as "It's magic" it's still lazy filmmaking. You can't keep doing the same thing over and over again.

What was that thing in the coffin that Richie saw? It was a little mannequin of himself I guess, but for some reason it was CGI.

Oh and they just ruined Mike Hanlon. They gave his historian knowledge to Ben, they deleted his father who was possibly the best character in the whole story, and he now does nothing. He's barely in the movie.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-14-17 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think Bev was a damsel in distress. They worshipped her and even she had her own fucked up home life to deal with (that she dealt with) when she wasn't with the guys. Hell, she also fucked Pennywise up. She was awesome.

Someone here mentioned that they hated that the hobo was CGI -- that wasn't CGI that was Javier Botet -- he's like the Spanish Doug Jones he also played the "mother" character in Mama.
Old 09-14-17, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My dude, there was most definitely CGI laid over that hobo.

As for Bev... yes, she was a total damsel in distress. In the book and in the miniseries Bev plays a crucial role in defeating Pennywise the first time around. She's a better shot than any of the guys! Here, she gets kidnapped and then woken up with a kiss. If that ain't a damsel in distress cliche, I don't know what is.
Old 09-14-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws
My dude, there was most definitely CGI laid over that hobo.

Just a tad -- I wouldn't say it was a CGI creation by any means. It's 95% Javier in there.

I can almost always spot Javier and Doug Jones in creature roles -- they have distinct and trademark movements.
Old 09-14-17, 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I don't think Bev was a damsel in distress. They worshipped her and even she had her own fucked up home life to deal with (that she dealt with) when she wasn't with the guys. Hell, she also fucked Pennywise up. She was awesome.

Someone here mentioned that they hated that the hobo was CGI -- that wasn't CGI that was Javier Botet -- he's like the Spanish Doug Jones he also played the "mother" character in Mama.
She was a damsel in distress because the filmmakers had Pennywise kidnap her and take her into the sewers to creat motivation for the final trip into the sewers to confront It. That's not in the book. Or to be more precise it's something from the modern part of the book where Pennywise kidnaps adult Bill's wife. It was a stupid choice that didn't even need to be made.

Waking her up with a kiss was equally stupid.
Old 09-14-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse
She was a damsel in distress because the filmmakers had Pennywise kidnap her and take her into the sewers to creat motivation for the final trip into the sewers to confront It. That's not in the book. Or to be more precise it's something from the modern part of the book where Pennywise kidnaps adult Bill's wife. It was a stupid choice that didn't even need to be made.
Technically, but that wasn't her official role -- it wasn't the crux of the movie. She fucked up her abusive father, stood strong against the bullies, and fucked up Pennywise. She was hardly a "traditional" damsel-in-distress. I can forgive the floating scene.
Old 09-14-17, 01:33 PM
Banned

You are far too forgiving. I could nitpick all day, 1001 little flaws in this thing, but the overall film fails simply by virtue of the fact that the adult framing story is essential in order to make the point that the book is making. This is a movie about kids confronting their fears and winning. The book is about kids attempting to defeat their fears and failing. And then those fears follow them into adulthood where they continue to do damage.

This movie is like remaking Rocky and having him win the big fight.
Old 09-14-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

You are far too forgiving. I could nitpick all day, 1001 little flaws in this thing, but the overall film fails simply by virtue of the fact that the adult framing story is essential in order to make the point that the book is making. This is a movie about kids confronting their fears and winning. The book is about kids attempting to defeat their fears and failing. And then those fears follow them into adulthood where they continue to do damage.

I'm pretty sure this was planned as a two-part movie. The kids didn't win the war, just a battle - they know Pennywise is coming back. That's the point of the blood pact at the end. Plenty of tragedy ahead for the group.

Your Rocky example doesn't work because it doesn't automatically have the second part coming.
Old 09-14-17, 02:11 PM
Banned

They took the USDA Prime pieces of the story and made just an okay film. I don't see how THEY are going to make a good sequel out of the lesser parts of the book.

Part 2 could be a good movie, but judging by part 1, I don't think these filmmakers can do it.
Old 09-14-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have not read the book. I can only go by the TV movie. One thing, that I'm sure some folks missed (or that I haven't read mentioned, of the theatrical film), was that all of the adults in town are freak shows. I'm sure that has to do with Pennywise and his powers dulling and corrupting everyone around. Maybe they'll explore his origins in the sequel?

Also, this is its own film, so why nitpick that this wasn't in the book or that wasn't book, etc. If I want what's in the book I'll read the book.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 09-14-17 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 03:02 PM
Banned

Because it's a change that wasn't necessary and worsens the character. It indicates the filmmakers are bad.

And yes, it's made pretty clear that It has an overall effect on the town. It clouds their minds to violence and abuse. It's made even clearer in the book. Derry is described as a town with meanness in the air.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-14-17 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, this will definitely shed some more light on what we have just been talking about:

Horror hit 'It' to get a director's cut (exclusive)

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...201741697.html

Hide the kids and break out the red balloons, It is getting supersized. Ringmaster Andy Muschietti has exclusively revealed to Yahoo Movies that he is working on an elongated director’s cut of his record-smashing, nightmare-inducing Stephen King adaptation that will be released with the home edition at the end of the year.

Muschietti and his producer/sister, Barbara Muschietti, broke the news about the It director’s cut on Thursday morning, noting that Warner Bros. had asked them to produce the new version shortly before they came to our studios to participate in a Facebook Live.

Asked if there were any scenes that he found difficult to trim (considering the novel weighed in at 1,000-plus pages), Andy Muschietti said there was one in particular that stood out. “There’s a great scene, it’s a bit of a payoff of the Stanley Uris plot which is the bar mitzvah, where he delivers a speech against all expectations… it’s basically blaming all the adults of Derry [for the town’s history of deadly “accidents” and child disappearances], and it has a great resolution. … Maybe it will be in the director’s cut!”

“Right, we are going to do a director’s cut. We were told this morning,” Barbara Muschietti chimed in.

Andy Muschietti said there would “probably [be] an extra 15 minutes for hardcore fans” in total, including a “very funny” extended version of the quarry scene, where the group of young protagonists who call themselves The Losers Club try to gin up the courage to jump off a cliff into the water below.

“After the spitting contest it escalates into something that is completely weird and irrelevant to the scene but is so funny. Jack Grazer, who plays Eddie, does something that is completely bonkers.”

The filmmaker had assembled longer cuts during the production process before ultimately trimming the film to 2 hours, 15 minutes for its theatrical release. Warner Bros. has not announced a specific release date for DVD/Blu-ray, but it is expected to arrive in time for the holidays, because nothing says Yuletide cheer like a demonic, children-devouring harlequin.

Meanwhile, the Muschiettis said that they are already outlining the story for It: Chapter 2, which will bring back the Losers as adults for a final, fateful confrontation with Pennywise. They said they hope to bring back the young cast in flashback (“before they all have beards”), as well as Bill Skarsgεrd as their clown adversary.

Andy Muschietti also said he’d love to do a new version of Pet Sematary, the first Stephen King novel the filmmaker read, or a screen adaptation of the short story “The Jaunt,” a sci-fi/horror tale about futuristic teleportation technology that allows people to “jaunt” across the universe from the author’s 1985 collection, Skeleton Crew.

First, however, the duo will be working on an adaptation based on the work of a different member of the King clan. They begin production next month on the series Locke and Key, based on the time-hopping supernatural comic book series written by Joe Hill, the pen name of Stephen King’s son Joe Hillstrom King. That series is slated to stream on Hulu in 2018.
Old 09-14-17, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, great, more of that weird creepy quarry scene that served no purpose other than to sexualize the kids.

And I don't say that as some uptight asshole. That scene was pointless for so many reasons.
Old 09-14-17, 05:01 PM
Banned

Sounds like the deleted scenes are all things that weren't in the book, AND the guy wants to remake one of the few King movies that is excellent and doesn't need remaking.
Old 09-14-17, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Oh, great, more of that weird creepy quarry scene that served no purpose other than to sexualize the kids.
Boy, you REALLY shouldn't read the book

That scene helped drive home how ALL of the boys are in love with Barb.
Old 09-14-17, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have read the book. And I am aware of the sexuality in it, but that scene in the film did nothing.

Teenage boys are attracted to the one girl who wants to hang with them? Christ, I never would have guessed...

Again, this is why the dam building was important. That's what should've been in here instead of the quarry.
Old 09-14-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I strongly disagree. It's one of the few scenes of the kids hanging out just being kids, something that the film was lacking that the novel had in spades.

Without it, they are just a bunch of random kids taking on a scary clown.
Old 09-14-17, 09:11 PM
Banned

The dam scene was them hanging out. It killed two birds with one stone.
Old 09-14-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Thank you, that's what I was saying.
Old 09-15-17, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As far as dropping the N-word on Mike -- why wouldn't they have? He was such a passive-almost-background member of the group-character. Ben got tons of abuse, though. I think folks are still holding on too much to the source material/tv film to let some shit go. Hell, for a minute there I thought Ben was gonna get the girl.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.