Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
14.12%
30.59%
41.18%
8.24%
3.53%
0%
2.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
Yes. It was the same actor. The picture of Jim Morita was in the office. He's playing the grandson of his Cap character.
Old 07-10-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I didn't think about it until now, but with the wonky way continuity is set up between the movies, will the next movie even be Spidey still in HS? I'd almost think it has to be at least his senior year, or will they just say screw it and pretend only a year has passed in movie time?
Old 07-10-17, 01:15 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I didn't think about it until now, but with the wonky way continuity is set up between the movies, will the next movie even be Spidey still in HS? I'd almost think it has to be at least his senior year, or will they just say screw it and pretend only a year has passed in movie time?
Their plan (currently) is to do Junior and Senior year.
Old 07-10-17, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

They already screwed up the timeline by saying that the events in the Avengers took place 8 years ago. Not sure why they bothered with that time cut title card to begin with.
Old 07-10-17, 01:24 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Saw this floating around:

Old 07-10-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

^^

I mentioned that in my post about the 8 years later thing. But, no one seemed to know or acknowledge it. I guess that timeline kind of helps.

What confused me was The Avengers being a 2012 movie. But, I guess it doesn't necessarily mean it takes place ion 2012.
Old 07-10-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it's been said before that the Spider-Man films will ignore what happens in other movies going forward, or the continuity is going to be really screwed up and they'll have to Secret Wars it.

Another thing I just thought of... Peter should be kind of freaking out. The villain who knows his identity told him just a little while ago that if he screws with him, he'd kill his family. The viewer knows that he won't tell anyone yet, but Peter doesn't. Minor nitpick, though, I don't really want him in witness relocation or anything.
Old 07-10-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Another thing I just thought of... Peter should be kind of freaking out. The villain who knows his identity told him just a little while ago that if he screws with him, he'd kill his family. The viewer knows that he won't tell anyone yet, but Peter doesn't. Minor nitpick, though, I don't really want him in witness relocation or anything.
I think he kinda forgave him that since Peter kinda risked his own life to save his.
Old 07-10-17, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Liked SMH but can't say I loved it.

Pros:
+ Tom Holland as Spider-Man. Best of the bunch though hardly heads above the others, I still liked Andrew Garfield, shamed he got saddled with dumb scripts
+ Thank god they got Michael Keaton as that villain wasn't great (his minions even worse), but did like his different motivations; and nice little twist with him later
+ Nice homage to 1980s high school movies
+ Funny enough. Unlike GOTG2, the jokes didn't feel forced

Cons
- A tad too long
- Spidey's Eyes are just a bit too distracting and weird. Was okay in CA: CW, but seeing it so much just didn't work
- The "MJ" reveal didn't have much of an effect, felt a lot like the end of The Dark Knight Rises revealing Gordon-Levitt's name was Robin *role eyes*
- The finale was a bit too bland and forgettable

And that's it. I'll see it again in 4K but not in theaters.

4/5
Old 07-10-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Liked SMH but can't say I loved it.
Ditto.

I think Holland is hands-down the best Spider-Man actor we've ever gotten, but Raimi's first two Spider-Man movies were overall better than this one. They had more heart and better characterization.

I didn't care one lick about any of the supporting cast, who were all extremely one-note. Holland and Keaton owned the screen (and Tomei was fine in her small part), but the rest of the cast made absolutely zero impression on me. MJ was especially irritating.

I'll disagree w/the TheMovieman and say that GOTG2 was much funnier than this, and the humor here felt more forced. It didn't help that anytime I did laugh out loud, I was the only one in the theater who did so. Everyone else at my viewing stayed dead quiet. (I was also the only one who LOL'd at the Captain America post-credit scene; most everyone else groaned.)

I just didn't feel quite as invested in this movie as the first two Raimi films. I thought the Washington Monument scene was quite good, but the other action set pieces (the boat, the airplane, the van, the bank) were not very exciting.

I did like it. But it could've been better.
Old 07-10-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The more I think about this, the more disappointed I am and I think I will drop my rating down to a 3/5. I watched the first Raimi movie this morning and while it does have it's problems I think it was better in every way.

The biggest thing that the Raimi movie had going for it was heart. You really sympathized with Peter and you got caught up in his struggle. In this one, he never really has any struggle. Actually, stuff seems to happen for him pretty dang easily. He's no longer a high school outsider, here he actually seems pretty damn popular with everyone but Flash unlike in Raimi's where even when he has a proud moment beating Flash he's immediately called a freak.

The scenes with the suit were funny, but I also thought they started to border too much on the slapstick side. It kind of takes any tension out of what he's doing when he's arguing with a robotic suit.

What is it with him needing Ned to by his other man? Seems like ever since TDK came out, everyone needs to have someone telling the hero where to go.

I really cant say enough negative things about the high school parts. Everything about it sucked and brought the movie down. It reminded me of Power Rangers in that it seemed like they were more concerned with being diverse and showing every nationality, that they didn't care about making them good and instead made them all uninteresting stereotypes. Why wasn't Betty Brandt used more? She could have been a love interest and become a main character down the line. Why didn't we establish the Daily Bugle, or J Jonah Jameson, or Peter's love of photography? And no I don't count that stupid movie at the beginning as counting. Why do so many people know Peter's secret identity? Aunt May finding out was funny, but why does it have to happen now? Why do we have to spend so much time with the worst side characters in any Marvel movie ever.

It feels like they went too far away from the source material. Flash is changed. The only thing that Peter appears to do on his own is stick to walls and shoot webs. Peter seems to have no spider sense and is basically Iron Man light. He isn't an outsider anymore. He seemed to date the most popular and hot girl in school even though she was a senior and he was a sophomore.

Honestly it feels like this was more concerned with shoehorning in diversity and Marvel movie references than being a great Spider-Man movie. I don't really blame Marvel studios though since these all feel like demands Sony would have made and with Amy Pascal still being a producer it wouldn't surprise me. The fact that I gave it 3/5 shows how great I thought Keaton and Holland were. That's what's so frustrating. It feels like the textbook definition of good but could be better and should have been better.
Old 07-10-17, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Comic book Peter Parker, despite supposedly being a geek and a loser, dated all the hot girls in school.
Old 07-10-17, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

How come the hottest girls in movies like Liz here and Debora in Baby Driver never have boyfriends when the protagonist asks them out? I went to high school and the pretty girls ALWAYS had a boyfriend.
Old 07-10-17, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Honestly it feels like this was more concerned with shoehorning in diversity and Marvel movie references than being a great Spider-Man movie. I don't really blame Marvel studios though since these all feel like demands Sony would have made and with Amy Pascal still being a producer it wouldn't surprise me. The fact that I gave it 3/5 shows how great I thought Keaton and Holland were. That's what's so frustrating. It feels like the textbook definition of good but could be better and should have been better.
They didn't "shoehorn" diversity. Peter goes to high school in Queens. A high school in Queens is going to be culturally diverse.
Old 07-10-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, it would've been way more "shoehorned" if it were a mostly white set of students in a Queens high school. Queens is one of, if not the most ethnically diverse little cities in America. There's people from all around the world there, and none of them have a majority in the city.

Last edited by slop101; 07-10-17 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by robin2099
Why didn't we establish the Daily Bugle, or J Jonah Jameson, or Peter's love of photography? And no I don't count that stupid movie at the beginning as counting.
Dude, he's 15 years old and a sophomore in High School. Hell, I would be fired up being asked to be part of the Avengers. I wouldn't call that stupid. I liked seeing the Airport battle in Berlin from his POV (an innocent kid) was kind of neat. It was him being a kid and being excited to be part of something big. Even Happy said that he can never post that video. It was just him wanting a record of it.

And regarding the Daily Bugle and his love photography. Again, he's only 15. He's a smart, yet awkward and sometimes dorky kid. That can be established at a later time.

This isn't another origin story. We don't need to see Uncle Ben, the tragedy of his death and it's long-running impact on Peter yet again. For all we know, Ben could have been dead 1-2 years already in this world. Both him and May have already moved on with their lives.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-10-17 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-10-17, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning to dropping my 4/5 rating...
Old 07-10-17, 08:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I also love the fact that a Freaks and Geeks wrote this...

Old 07-10-17, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I also love the fact that a Freaks and Geeks wrote this...

Didn't realize that, but that makes it even cooler that Starr got a part. Plus Franco's involvement in the previous films and Cardellini as mrs. Hawkeye.
Old 07-10-17, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk God

I find it interesting that this movie had 6 writing credits and it somehow turned out decent.

I've noticed in the past that movies with more than 2 writing credits are usually a bad sign.

As for John Francis Daley ^^^ I recall he quit acting on the FOX series Bones after being on it for 7 years so he could focus on screen writing.

This is definitely his biggest work post-Bones.
Old 07-10-17, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
As for John Francis Daley ^^^ I recall he quit acting on the FOX series Bones after being on it for 7 years so he could focus on screen writing.
He did. And you know what was one of his first following that?

Which he co-wrote and co-directed.
Old 07-11-17, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

That timeline posted seems off. 3 years between Avengers and Iron Man 3? Tony's PTSD seemed rather fresh, but shrug.

Looks like the timeline has been sliding around:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/7/10/15...arvel-timeline
Old 07-11-17, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah that 8-years later thing really screwed things up. How did they let that fly?

That story seems to think now that Homecoming would take place after the events of Infinity War, which makes things kind of confusing since this seemed like a direct follow up to Civil War.
Old 07-11-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
How come the hottest girls in movies like Liz here and Debora in Baby Driver never have boyfriends when the protagonist asks them out? I went to high school and the pretty girls ALWAYS had a boyfriend.
Once upon a time screenwriters came up with clever ways to deal with this. In REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955), the hot girl in HS (Natalie Wood) has a boyfriend already (Corey Allen), but when he races in a "chicken run" against the hero (James Dean), he was unable to get out of the car in time and went over the cliff to his death, thus freeing up Wood to date Dean, who wasted no time. Allen has just gone over the cliff and Dean's already holding her hand:

Old 07-11-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
Maybe you're not the protagonist in your own film?

Of course this is a magnet high school where this version of Flash is considered a bully, Zendaya has no friends and Aunt May is cool with her sophomore nephew sneaking out every night and dropping him and his friends off at a party in the suburbs and leaving them there.

Seriously though, she they did drop the line that she was too busy planning homecoming so they at least addressed it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.