Reload this Page >

Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: caligulathegod
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

The following have unknown expiration -- these are old coupon that has been active online for months Please let me know if it's active
15% Off One Item A
15% Off B
15% Off C

ONLINE CODES
25% off single item
None

20% Off Online Single Item
UM2JEPTJDFNG4 - exp 6/19 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF
3DFK58XQZ9AC4
9FBB4LT8D32KS
CN2QAS5VJSQ54
DEXWXAT2199K1
EASTWGZS8XJP4
QR59YQMGEANX8

MOREISMORE
10% off $35 or more, 15% off $60 or more
valid from May 15, 2017 at 12:01am to May 18, 2017 at 2:59am Eastern Time

"New Member" Welcome Coupons ONLINE ONLY EXPIRES February 27, 2016 2:59am ET
Looking for a new member who got these via Joining Email

"New Member" Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business February 26, 2017
Print Wikipost

Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-17, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
speaking of long films i watched Das Boot yesterday and its 3 1/2 hours
You should watch the original, uncut, version. It's 4 hours 53 minutes. I still have that version sitting in my unopened pile. Partly due to the length but also due to it being in German with English subs. That takes far more effort than watching a English language film of the same length. I have to be in the right frame of mind for subtitled films, even more so for that film. In spite of that, it's a favorite but not one I can just put in for a casual viewing.
Old 06-18-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I started the BBC series The Musketeers last night. Overall I'm liking it but they really play fast and very loose with the original tale. I'm generally not overly fond of films/shows that bastardize their source so significantly. At least do the "origin" properly. Still, it's entertaining and I just ignore the discrepancies from Dumas' novel going with the premise that they just borrowed the names. The music sometimes gets in the way, frequently having a track when I feel it would work better without one, but that's a minor annoyance.
Old 06-18-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Last night I watched my copy of Full Metal Jacket. I've always enjoyed that movie, though I do prefer the boot camp part to the part in Vietnam. I once knew someone who was a friend of my dad's that when he was in the Marines, his Drill Instructor was actually R. Lee Ermey.

Being a Stanley Kubrick film, I'm sure the scene
Spoiler:
where Joker shoots the sniper means something, but I don't know what it means
Old 06-19-17, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I originally saw Das Boot in theaters, and it's even more claustrophobic that way.

Saw The Theory of Everything and kept wondering who played the wife, not recognizing Jyn Erso.
Old 06-19-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I own both Gods And Generals, and Gettysburg. I'd like to watch them again sometime this month, as I do enjoy them, but I've been having trouble convincing myself to sit down and watch a four hour movie, let alone two of them.
I would like to get in Gettysburg. Couldn't do the both of them though. Those long movies take up too much time. I could get in about 2 other regular timed movies in the same amount of time as one of these longer acts.
Old 06-20-17, 09:49 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
You should watch the original, uncut, version. It's 4 hours 53 minutes. I still have that version sitting in my unopened pile. Partly due to the length but also due to it being in German with English subs. That takes far more effort than watching a English language film of the same length. I have to be in the right frame of mind for subtitled films, even more so for that film. In spite of that, it's a favorite but not one I can just put in for a casual viewing.
agree. i just ordered the 5 hour version on dvd. pretty cheap 5 bucks
Old 06-20-17, 09:50 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I originally saw Das Boot in theaters, and it's even more claustrophobic that way.
I did too. Back in 1981 / 1982 with my dad
Old 06-20-17, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yesterday, I finished all of the episodes of Ancient Assassins that were available on AHC GO. I found it to be a very interesting show, that ran the gamut from ancient times to the Middle Ages. Every episode had a segment that tied it in to a modern military engagement as well. I also started Apocalypse: WW1. That was a good show as well, and I think sometime I will watch the second part.

I wish the channel was available on my Roku, but I can only watch AHC GO on my tablet.
Old 06-20-17, 11:48 AM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Does your tablet have "screen mirroring"? My phone does. It can connect to the Roku and the big TV.
Old 06-20-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Does your tablet have "screen mirroring"? My phone does. It can connect to the Roku and the big TV.
That's something I have to look into. I am sure it probably does, as I know most phones and tablets do.
Old 06-20-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for asking me about screen mirroring Caligula. My tablet does indeed have that, and I will use that a lot, as many times I notice I get better streaming quality from my tablet than I do on my Roku. A prime example is Direct TV Now.
Old 06-20-17, 05:28 PM

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 06-20-17, 10:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

This morning I watched Gods and Generals, the Extended Director's Edition. Man... that's a looooong film! It clocks in at 4 1/2 hours *before* the credits roll! I found it interesting but there were times it dropped to a crawl... mostly telling the story of Boothe, which felt mostly fictional (but I've never read enough about him to know just how much *is* known), but also at other times. Due to the length I don't know how often I'll watch this one but do feel it deserves more than 1 viewing.
saw this in the theater - it was a tough watch.

saw the extended director's cut on bluray - the difference was night and day, it was superior to the theatrical cut.
Old 06-21-17, 10:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember seeing Gods and Generals in the theater. I enjoyed it a lot, but it was memorable to me for lousy reasons as my eyes exploded in severe pain about 5 minutes into the movie. I think it came out shortly after I had finished college and was working full time, so my eyes had gone from like -0.75 nearsightedness to -5 overnight and the fatigue from ineffective glasses all came to a head during that movie. It was an experience.

Last night, I watched a major list of shame movie for the first time with Fistful of Dollars. I'm sure I saw bits and pieces before on TV, but it was good to finally see it. My father comes over once a week for movie/TV night, so I look forward to watching the other two in the trilogy for the first time in the coming weeks.
Old 06-21-17, 09:57 PM

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

It's the 21st already.
I better get busy with a few more titles.
Ugh....the 21st.
Old 06-22-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've started watching Against The Odds, on AHC On Demand. The first episode available was about the Marines battle at Hue during the Vietnam War, and while watching that episode, I began to relate with what those Marines were feeling about not wanting to leave their brothers, even to get medical treatment. I wasn't a Marine myself, but I clearly remember the close knit feeling of family in all of the units I served in during my time in the military.
Old 06-22-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I watched Assassin's Creed but am not going to count it. It really doesn't have anything to do with the past other than costumes and weapons.

I'm now watching the title we discussed earlier, the 2011 Three Musketeers with Milla Jovovich and Logan Lerman. It's so absurd but every couple years I get the hankering to watch it for this challenge. Maybe I'll get it if it appears in a $5 digital sale somewhere. Funny that I'm also finishing off HBO's Rome series, and one of the main characters there plays Porthos here.
Old 06-23-17, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I watched one of my favorite Errol Flynn swashbucklers on TCM last Saturday, THE MASTER OF BALLANTRAE (1953), which was released to theaters in the U.S. on the day after I was born. It's based on a novel by Robert Louis Stevenson. And then, three days later, the Encore Western Channel ran an episode of "Death Valley Days" about Robert Louis Stevenson and how he pursued a woman to California, married her and lived there for a spell before the two moved to England where he finally achieved literary success. I love when that happens.

I also watched an episode of Tales of Wells Fargo about Lola Montez, played by Rita Moreno. Sadly, she doesn't get to perform in it, she's simply one of several passengers on a stagecoach being pursued by Indians. Death Valley Days ran an episode on Lola Montez earlier this year that was more of a straight biopic. But the unknown actress who played her wasn't very good.
Old 06-23-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I watched a sporting event that was at least 10 years old, would that count? I know that the WWE Network has very old PPVs in their archive, and YouTube has very old football, baseball, and racing events available to watch.
Old 06-23-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It may be a longer version, but I think after the talk of the Extended Director's Cut of Gods And Generals being much better, I need to buy that version. I just attempted the theatrical version, and I didn't enjoy it near as much as I remember, with lots of parts dragging on and on. It got to the point that by the two hour mark, I just turned the movie off. I feel bad that I won't be able to reach my goals of Gods And Generals and Gettysburg before the month is out, but I just wasn't enjoying the movie.
Old 06-23-17, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I watched one of my favorite Errol Flynn swashbucklers on TCM last Saturday, THE MASTER OF BALLANTRAE (1953), which was released to theaters in the U.S. on the day after I was born. It's based on a novel by Robert Louis Stevenson. And then, three days later, the Encore Western Channel ran an episode of "Death Valley Days" about Robert Louis Stevenson and how he pursued a woman to California, married her and lived there for a spell before the two moved to England where he finally achieved literary success. I love when that happens.
Nice story about Stevenson.

I like that one as well, but would have to put The Adventures of Robin Hood at the top of my Flynn list, followed closely by Against All Flags (but that one also stars Maureen O'Hara, an actress I'd watch if all she did was watch paint dry) and then ...Ballantrae. But then I like almost every film in which he appeared and rank most of them highly.
Old 06-23-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Nice story about Stevenson.

I like that one as well, but would have to put The Adventures of Robin Hood at the top of my Flynn list, followed closely by Against All Flags (but that one also stars Maureen O'Hara, an actress I'd watch if all she did was watch paint dry) and then ...Ballantrae. But then I like almost every film in which he appeared and rank most of them highly.
What I love about BALLANTRAE is that it got Flynn out of Hollywood and onto Scottish soil. The Technicolor location photography in that film (Scotland, Cornwall, Sicily, etc.) is breathtaking. The plot structure is vaguely similar to that of CAPTAIN BLOOD.
Old 06-23-17, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hoo boy, I watched a weird one last night, Hammer's THE VIKING QUEEN. No Vikings in it, it's druids vs. Roman soldiers. The druid princess has a distinctly Nordic accent. The actress/former model who played her never made another movie. And there is a Nubian slave girl who is obviously an Anglo actress covered from head to toe in brown make up. No classic, but I enjoyed it.
Old 06-23-17, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a couple of days late, but tonight I celebrated the 75th birthday of Brian Wilson by watching the excellent bio-pic LOVE AND MERCY.
Old 06-23-17, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished an interesting documentary on FilmOn On Demand, called the Air War In Vietnam. I actually learned something from it, as I never knew F-5 and F-100s were used in Vietnam.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.