DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hide Wikipost
Old 05-24-17, 08:11 PM   -   Wikipost
DVD Talk Forum Thread Wiki: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: caligulathegod
CHECKLIST
GENERAL
WHEN
Watch a film that takes place during five different centuries prior to the 21th Century (Note Century of setting):
--- Movie 1 (Century)
--- Movie 2 (Century)
--- Movie 3 (Century)
--- Movie 4 (Century)
--- Movie 5 (Century)

WHERE
Watch 5 movies about historical events of different countries (Note Country of setting).
--- Movie 1 (Country)
--- Movie 2 (Country)
--- Movie 3 (Country)
--- Movie 4 (Country)
--- Movie 5 (Country)

WHO _/10
Watch at least five of the ten following subcategories:

FOLKLORE & FAITH
--- Film about prehistory
--- Film about the mythology of Antiquity (i.e., Greek gods, dramatization of Homeric poems, etc.)
--- Film about religious history (based on either recorded historical events or fables arising from Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc.)
--- Film about a folk hero
--- Film about either the Humanities (fine arts) or Sports figure/event

HEY, THEY WERE THERE, TOO!: A LOOK AT MARGINALIZED PEOPLES
(Focus on prominent figures from history and/or depictions of their minority group's oppression, etc.)
--- Film about Women's History
--- Film about Race Relations
--- Film about the LGBTQ Community
--- Film about Religious Minority
--- Film about Immigrants

TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY
--- Watch at least two movies about the same person/event where each movie is from a different perspective (1/2)
--- Watch at least two movies about the same person/event where each movie is from a different perspective (2/2)

WAR _/10
Watch at least five of the following ten War subcategories:

--- Anti-War film
--- Military Comedy
--- Prisoner of War/Escape film
--- Resistance Movement/Civilians film
--- Submarine film
--- War Spy
--- War film that was produced *during* that war
--- Film about war criminals
--- Film about veterans after the war (framing a "flashback" film doesn't count, so no Saving Private Ryan for this one)
--- Wartime propaganda film OR a film produced by the military

WESTERN _/10
Watch at least five of these ten Western subcategories:

--- The Union Pacific story. (The plot concerns construction of a railroad, a telegraph line, or some other type of modern technology or transportation.) Wagon train stories probably fall into this category.
--- The ranch story. (The plot concerns threats to the ranch from rustlers or large landowners attempting to force out the proper owners.)
--- The empire story. (The plot might involve building up a ranch empire or an oil empire from scratch, a classic rags-to-riches plot.)
--- The revenge story. (The plot often involves an elaborate chase and pursuit, but it may also include elements of the classic mystery story.)
--- The cavalry and Indian story. (The plot revolves around taming the wilderness for white settlers.)
--- The outlaw story. (The outlaw gangs dominate the action.)
--- The marshal story. (The lawman and his challenges drive the plot.)
--- "Export Western" - a Western not actually set in America. There have been numerous Westerns set in Australia, for instance. Samurai films could count for this, too, given the relationship between the two genres.
--- Western movie with a direct connection to a TV show, since Westerns were part of TV's golden age before the Space Generation
--- Neo-Western (i.e., a Western set in more contemporary times, to demonstrate the genre is still alive)

ZEITGEIST WILD CARDS
Because an argument can be made that some movies which fall outside the "obvious" scope of our challenge really are consistent with its spirit, you're permitted to watch and check off up to three optional movies of your choice.
--- Zeitgeist Wild Card #1
--- Zeitgeist Wild Card #2
--- Zeitgeist Wild Card #3[/QUOTE]

Print Wikipost

Old 06-18-17, 12:55 PM   #126
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbercrunch View Post
speaking of long films i watched Das Boot yesterday and its 3 1/2 hours
You should watch the original, uncut, version. It's 4 hours 53 minutes. I still have that version sitting in my unopened pile. Partly due to the length but also due to it being in German with English subs. That takes far more effort than watching a English language film of the same length. I have to be in the right frame of mind for subtitled films, even more so for that film. In spite of that, it's a favorite but not one I can just put in for a casual viewing.
Old 06-18-17, 01:00 PM   #127
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started the BBC series The Musketeers last night. Overall I'm liking it but they really play fast and very loose with the original tale. I'm generally not overly fond of films/shows that bastardize their source so significantly. At least do the "origin" properly. Still, it's entertaining and I just ignore the discrepancies from Dumas' novel going with the premise that they just borrowed the names. The music sometimes gets in the way, frequently having a track when I feel it would work better without one, but that's a minor annoyance.
Old 06-18-17, 01:13 PM   #128
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last night I watched my copy of Full Metal Jacket. I've always enjoyed that movie, though I do prefer the boot camp part to the part in Vietnam. I once knew someone who was a friend of my dad's that when he was in the Marines, his Drill Instructor was actually R. Lee Ermey.

Being a Stanley Kubrick film, I'm sure the scene
Spoiler:
where Joker shoots the sniper means something, but I don't know what it means
Old 06-19-17, 01:31 PM   #129
DVD Talk Hero

I originally saw Das Boot in theaters, and it's even more claustrophobic that way.

Saw The Theory of Everything and kept wondering who played the wife, not recognizing Jyn Erso.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-19-17, 08:29 PM   #130
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokitty View Post
I own both Gods And Generals, and Gettysburg. I'd like to watch them again sometime this month, as I do enjoy them, but I've been having trouble convincing myself to sit down and watch a four hour movie, let alone two of them.
I would like to get in Gettysburg. Couldn't do the both of them though. Those long movies take up too much time. I could get in about 2 other regular timed movies in the same amount of time as one of these longer acts.
Old 06-20-17, 09:49 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
You should watch the original, uncut, version. It's 4 hours 53 minutes. I still have that version sitting in my unopened pile. Partly due to the length but also due to it being in German with English subs. That takes far more effort than watching a English language film of the same length. I have to be in the right frame of mind for subtitled films, even more so for that film. In spite of that, it's a favorite but not one I can just put in for a casual viewing.
agree. i just ordered the 5 hour version on dvd. pretty cheap 5 bucks
Old 06-20-17, 09:50 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I originally saw Das Boot in theaters, and it's even more claustrophobic that way.
I did too. Back in 1981 / 1982 with my dad
Old 06-20-17, 11:10 AM   #133
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yesterday, I finished all of the episodes of Ancient Assassins that were available on AHC GO. I found it to be a very interesting show, that ran the gamut from ancient times to the Middle Ages. Every episode had a segment that tied it in to a modern military engagement as well. I also started Apocalypse: WW1. That was a good show as well, and I think sometime I will watch the second part.

I wish the channel was available on my Roku, but I can only watch AHC GO on my tablet.
Old 06-20-17, 11:48 AM   #134
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Does your tablet have "screen mirroring"? My phone does. It can connect to the Roku and the big TV.
Old 06-20-17, 12:01 PM   #135
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligulathegod View Post
Does your tablet have "screen mirroring"? My phone does. It can connect to the Roku and the big TV.
That's something I have to look into. I am sure it probably does, as I know most phones and tablets do.
Old 06-20-17, 01:19 PM   #136
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for asking me about screen mirroring Caligula. My tablet does indeed have that, and I will use that a lot, as many times I notice I get better streaming quality from my tablet than I do on my Roku. A prime example is Direct TV Now.
Old 06-20-17, 05:28 PM   #137
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 06-20-17, 10:28 PM   #138

Quote:
This morning I watched Gods and Generals, the Extended Director's Edition. Man... that's a looooong film! It clocks in at 4 1/2 hours *before* the credits roll! I found it interesting but there were times it dropped to a crawl... mostly telling the story of Boothe, which felt mostly fictional (but I've never read enough about him to know just how much *is* known), but also at other times. Due to the length I don't know how often I'll watch this one but do feel it deserves more than 1 viewing.
saw this in the theater - it was a tough watch.

saw the extended director's cut on bluray - the difference was night and day, it was superior to the theatrical cut.
Old 06-21-17, 10:19 AM   #139

I remember seeing Gods and Generals in the theater. I enjoyed it a lot, but it was memorable to me for lousy reasons as my eyes exploded in severe pain about 5 minutes into the movie. I think it came out shortly after I had finished college and was working full time, so my eyes had gone from like -0.75 nearsightedness to -5 overnight and the fatigue from ineffective glasses all came to a head during that movie. It was an experience.

Last night, I watched a major list of shame movie for the first time with Fistful of Dollars. I'm sure I saw bits and pieces before on TV, but it was good to finally see it. My father comes over once a week for movie/TV night, so I look forward to watching the other two in the trilogy for the first time in the coming weeks.
Old 06-21-17, 09:57 PM   #140
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's the 21st already.
I better get busy with a few more titles.
Ugh....the 21st.
Old 06-22-17, 11:13 AM   #141
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've started watching Against The Odds, on AHC On Demand. The first episode available was about the Marines battle at Hue during the Vietnam War, and while watching that episode, I began to relate with what those Marines were feeling about not wanting to leave their brothers, even to get medical treatment. I wasn't a Marine myself, but I clearly remember the close knit feeling of family in all of the units I served in during my time in the military.
Old 06-22-17, 03:20 PM   #142
DVD Talk Hero

I watched Assassin's Creed but am not going to count it. It really doesn't have anything to do with the past other than costumes and weapons.

I'm now watching the title we discussed earlier, the 2011 Three Musketeers with Milla Jovovich and Logan Lerman. It's so absurd but every couple years I get the hankering to watch it for this challenge. Maybe I'll get it if it appears in a $5 digital sale somewhere. Funny that I'm also finishing off HBO's Rome series, and one of the main characters there plays Porthos here.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 06-23-17, 06:59 AM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

I watched one of my favorite Errol Flynn swashbucklers on TCM last Saturday, THE MASTER OF BALLANTRAE (1953), which was released to theaters in the U.S. on the day after I was born. It's based on a novel by Robert Louis Stevenson. And then, three days later, the Encore Western Channel ran an episode of "Death Valley Days" about Robert Louis Stevenson and how he pursued a woman to California, married her and lived there for a spell before the two moved to England where he finally achieved literary success. I love when that happens.

I also watched an episode of Tales of Wells Fargo about Lola Montez, played by Rita Moreno. Sadly, she doesn't get to perform in it, she's simply one of several passengers on a stagecoach being pursued by Indians. Death Valley Days ran an episode on Lola Montez earlier this year that was more of a straight biopic. But the unknown actress who played her wasn't very good.
Old 06-23-17, 10:38 AM   #144
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I watched a sporting event that was at least 10 years old, would that count? I know that the WWE Network has very old PPVs in their archive, and YouTube has very old football, baseball, and racing events available to watch.
Old 06-23-17, 12:58 PM   #145
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It may be a longer version, but I think after the talk of the Extended Director's Cut of Gods And Generals being much better, I need to buy that version. I just attempted the theatrical version, and I didn't enjoy it near as much as I remember, with lots of parts dragging on and on. It got to the point that by the two hour mark, I just turned the movie off. I feel bad that I won't be able to reach my goals of Gods And Generals and Gettysburg before the month is out, but I just wasn't enjoying the movie.
Old 06-23-17, 05:13 PM   #146
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
I watched one of my favorite Errol Flynn swashbucklers on TCM last Saturday, THE MASTER OF BALLANTRAE (1953), which was released to theaters in the U.S. on the day after I was born. It's based on a novel by Robert Louis Stevenson. And then, three days later, the Encore Western Channel ran an episode of "Death Valley Days" about Robert Louis Stevenson and how he pursued a woman to California, married her and lived there for a spell before the two moved to England where he finally achieved literary success. I love when that happens.
Nice story about Stevenson.

I like that one as well, but would have to put The Adventures of Robin Hood at the top of my Flynn list, followed closely by Against All Flags (but that one also stars Maureen O'Hara, an actress I'd watch if all she did was watch paint dry) and then ...Ballantrae. But then I like almost every film in which he appeared and rank most of them highly.
Old 06-23-17, 06:35 PM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Nice story about Stevenson.

I like that one as well, but would have to put The Adventures of Robin Hood at the top of my Flynn list, followed closely by Against All Flags (but that one also stars Maureen O'Hara, an actress I'd watch if all she did was watch paint dry) and then ...Ballantrae. But then I like almost every film in which he appeared and rank most of them highly.
What I love about BALLANTRAE is that it got Flynn out of Hollywood and onto Scottish soil. The Technicolor location photography in that film (Scotland, Cornwall, Sicily, etc.) is breathtaking. The plot structure is vaguely similar to that of CAPTAIN BLOOD.
Old 06-23-17, 10:23 PM   #148
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hoo boy, I watched a weird one last night, Hammer's THE VIKING QUEEN. No Vikings in it, it's druids vs. Roman soldiers. The druid princess has a distinctly Nordic accent. The actress/former model who played her never made another movie. And there is a Nubian slave girl who is obviously an Anglo actress covered from head to toe in brown make up. No classic, but I enjoyed it.
Old 06-23-17, 10:26 PM   #149
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a couple of days late, but tonight I celebrated the 75th birthday of Brian Wilson by watching the excellent bio-pic LOVE AND MERCY.
Old 06-23-17, 11:19 PM   #150
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just finished an interesting documentary on FilmOn On Demand, called the Air War In Vietnam. I actually learned something from it, as I never knew F-5 and F-100s were used in Vietnam.