Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly- New Remaster w/ both cuts this Summer 2017!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly- New Remaster w/ both cuts this Summer 2017!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-17, 08:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly- New Remaster w/ both cuts this Summer 2017!

just ordered this.

so which is better cut of movie?

haven't seen in forever. maybe once or twice in life, and not sure which cut i saw, but definitely not for many many years...
Old 07-17-17, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
just ordered this.

so which is better cut of movie?

haven't seen in forever. maybe once or twice in life, and not sure which cut i saw, but definitely not for many many years...
very partial to the US cut, if only because, as the movie was shot silent & had to be dubbed in post, the 'new' scenes have much older versions of Clint and Eli and its obvious. Though it does fill in a hole or 2.
Old 07-18-17, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

My personal favorite version has always been the theatrical cut. The pacing is better and some of the newest scenes in the Extended Cut IMO don't. It's the primary reason I've held on to the 98 MGM DVD.

Last edited by Ringmaster; 07-18-17 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-18-17, 10:09 AM

Really? I always thought the extended was the preferred...
Old 07-18-17, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For me, the scenes drag out a bit. They also stick out like a sore thumb since Eastwood and Wallach recently dubbed the extended scenes and they don't match to what was recorded in the 60s.

The actor who dubbed Lee Van Cleef sounded great to me and I felt they should have done the same with Eastwood and Wallach.
Old 08-09-17, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Go...9/#Screenshots
their reviewer gave it a 3.5 in the picture department. and noted that Kino Lorber "listened" to those that bitched about the yellow tint of the MGM disc. I'd have to see these in motion but these certainly look better than the old extended cut dvd, and while i didn't have any issue w the 'yellow' tint, this new release doesn't look unnaturall to my eyes
Old 08-10-17, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a lot of hostility and rude behavior being exhibited by certain Blu-ray.com members about this release. They're acting this way towards a Kino Lorber representative too which I find distasteful.

I'm going to judge the disc myself when it arrives on my doorstep but hopefully reviews from other sites, including this one, will pop up soon with a different perspective.
Old 08-10-17, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also if i recall the 4K MGM disc was supervised by the cameraman so maybe "yellowish" is how its supposed to look
Old 08-14-17, 01:03 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Also if i recall the 4K MGM disc was supervised by the cameraman so maybe "yellowish" is how its supposed to look
I'm no where near as bothered by the MGM 4K color as what I've read elsewhere. There are a few spots where the yellow does seem a little heavy, not sure why that is, but for the most part it looks good. The detail and film texture in the 4K re-master is excellent.
I have the Kino pre-ordered, and should get it by early next week.
Anyone here have it yet?
Old 08-14-17, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Grainy
I'm no where near as bothered by the MGM 4K color as what I've read elsewhere. There are a few spots where the yellow does seem a little heavy, not sure why that is, but for the most part it looks good. The detail and film texture in the 4K re-master is excellent.
I have the Kino pre-ordered, and should get it by early next week.
Anyone here have it yet?
got my email saying it should be at home by tomorrow
Old 08-14-17, 06:40 PM

anyone prefer the extended cut?
Old 08-14-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
There's a lot of hostility and rude behavior being exhibited by certain Blu-ray.com members about this release. They're acting this way towards a Kino Lorber representative too which I find distasteful.

I'm going to judge the disc myself when it arrives on my doorstep but hopefully reviews from other sites, including this one, will pop up soon with a different perspective.
I do have this already, of course, from prior releases. The reviews haven't been good that i've seen. So i'm going to wait a bit and save a little on my wallet. But if it turns out to be better I will get it at a later time.
Old 08-14-17, 07:50 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was nice to have, but I was too used to the original U.S. cut. My favorite version is in the MGM Trilogy LD Box. I think it's closest to the original, which I saw on a triple bill in the early 70s. That LD cut is different from the later MGM DVD for some reason.
Old 08-14-17, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Only you, Inane Thread Master.
Old 08-15-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

because i don't know how to post photos from the phone, this is how the new GBU blu looks on my tv, an LG 4k 43 in tv
also noteworthy, the Kino blu has Lossless mono on both cuts in both English and the original itallian. the MGM 4k blu has a 1.0 lossy track

Last edited by Rypro 525; 08-15-17 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-15-17, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

My copy arrived -- may watch it tonight or tomorrow.
Old 08-15-17, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 979 Likes on 690 Posts

The movie is supposed to be yellow. It's the green/cyan that's the problem. From what I've seen of the new disc, Kino simply did a universal yellow reduction without using any real reference. Some shots look ok. Some look like crap. The teal skies in a lot of shots is the dead giveaway that something's still amiss. In Kino's defense, the master they were provided with is heavily compromised, and even if they would've put in the proper time and energy to do a real color correction, they still couldn't have gotten it right. Hopefully another label somewhere in the world gets a crack at the raw 4k master and can do a proper color grading at some point. Until then, I think I'll stick with my fan edited Mondo disc.
Old 08-15-17, 09:58 PM

wait this was originally in Italian? i think i saw the English version. is that not the preferred?
Old 08-16-17, 07:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..I just rec. my copy and it is a big disappointment..the colors are really muted and all the extras have a shakiness to the pq..this is a big let down..i will happily sell this version and keep my mgm release which is a 100% better
Old 08-16-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

wait this was originally in Italian? i think i saw the English version. is that not the preferred?
Do you really think Clint Eastwood delivered all his lines in Italian?
Old 08-16-17, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Do you really think Clint Eastwood delivered all his lines in Italian?
i don't know, but it is Leone, which is why i asked bc i was confused that an Italian track was mentioned. plus, i thought Eastwood got his start in Italian spaghetti westerns or something...

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-16-17 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-16-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

i don't know, but it is Leone, which is why i asked bc i was confused that an Italian track was mentioned. plus, i thought Eastwood got his start in Italian spaghetti westerns or something...
Eastwood got his start in American B-movies and TV. (He was a major character on Rawhide.) The Spaghetti Westerns propelled him to big time stardom.

European productions like this were typically shot without any live dialogue recording. The actors spoke a mix of languages on set, all of which would be dubbed to a common language for each release market. Because Eastwood, Van Cleef and Wallach (the three title characters) all delivered their lines in English, that's generally considered the "original" soundtrack.

However, when the extended cut of the movie was put together in 2003, it was discovered that the main cast had never actually recorded dialogue for some of the new scenes. As a result, the much-older Eastwood and Wallach dubbed their lines at that time and sound noticeably different than they did when they were younger. Voice doubles were used for Lee Van Cleef and some of the other actors that had passed away.
Old 08-16-17, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Eastwood got his start in American B-movies and TV. (He was a major character on Rawhide.) The Spaghetti Westerns propelled him to big time stardom.

European productions like this were typically shot without any live dialogue recording. The actors spoke a mix of languages on set, all of which would be dubbed to a common language for each release market. Because Eastwood, Van Cleef and Wallach (the three title characters) all delivered their lines in English, that's generally considered the "original" soundtrack.

However, when the extended cut of the movie was put together in 2003, it was discovered that the main cast had never actually recorded dialogue for some of the new scenes. As a result, the much-older Eastwood and Wallach dubbed their lines at that time and sound noticeably different than they did when they were younger. Voice doubles were used for Lee Van Cleef and some of the other actors that had passed away.
thanks for the detailed clarification! i really need to see this extended cut. but, having them dub the lines seems weird and i hope doesn't take me out of this magnificent opus...
Old 08-16-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you've never seen either version of the movie, then I suggest you don't look up which are the extended scenes and which aren't because maybe it won't make a difference to you, Oldboy. I've seen the 98 MGM cut so many times that the extra scenes in the Extended Version stick out.
Old 08-16-17, 09:51 PM

i think i only saw this once and i think it was theatrical. really don't remember, maybe saw both, but who knows. just know i really loved it. think i will start with extended and see how that plays out...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.