Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Lego Batman Movie (2017, D: Chris McKay) S: Arnett, Cera (voice)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Lego Batman Movie (2017, D: Chris McKay) S: Arnett, Cera (voice)

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Lego Batman Movie (2017, D: Chris McKay) S: Arnett, Cera (voice)

Great movie. Loved the dance scene at the fortress of solitude.
Old 02-12-17, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Just got back ... I haven't seen The Lego Movie yet, but this was great. I was exhausted and started nodding off around the last 30 minutes, but that was because of me, not the movie.

Tons of in-jokes, voice cameos, and just flat out references to the entire Bat-history ... Hint:it all happened in one universe. Mind blown.

Draven,
Spoiler:
they also mention the Joker's "two boats" plot. That took me a second, but I busted up. I was the only one in the theater who got it though.

One of my favorite lines/exchanges:

Dick: My name is Richard Grayson, but everyone calls me Dick.
Bruce: Kids can be cruel.

Will definitely be getting this on home video so I can pick out more of the Easter eggs and references!
I just came home. I think the best compliment to give it, as that it was a kid friendly Batman movie done right. I was looking for the in jokes as well. In regards to what's in the spoiler tag, I thought I knew where that was from, and I kind of slightly forgot, after looking up an article on the easter eggs. I'll have to rewatch those Batman movies soon.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 02-12-17 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-12-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw this yesterday. Laughed my ass off. Inside jokes galore, but still entertaining for kids.
Old 02-12-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this last night. I really enjoyed it! As others have said the amount of inside jokes is amazing, especially if you are familiar with all aspects of the Batman Universe. The opening credits had me dying.

I didn't enjoy the Final Act that much though. At that point the film ran out of steam for me.

Of all the Cameos in the film, I got a bit too excited to see
Spoiler:
Blight from Batman Beyond, since my friend & I were talking about how much we loved that Series earlier in the day.
Old 02-14-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This was pretty awesome. It was basically a love letter to the history of Batman and it works incredibly well. There were so many Easter Eggs in this from the subtle(the outline of the W in the logo is done the same as in the Dark Knight) to the outright that someone with just a passing Batman knowledge would get. I also have to commend the voice acting. With the exception of Rosario Dawson I couldn't recognize a single voice actor in this movie and was surprised that so many name actors had lines in this movie.

Only gripes I had is that I wish the finale of the movie would have featured DC Heroes and villains as opposed to characters like Agent Smith and the shark from Jaws. I also wish Grant Gustin had voiced The Flash and Stephen Amell had voiced Green Arrow. Plus it would have been nice to get a Batman actor in to do the voice at some point.

I give this a 4.5/5 and definitely plan to pick it up when it's out.
Old 02-15-17, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Only gripes I had is that I wish the finale of the movie would have featured DC Heroes and villains as opposed to characters like Agent Smith and the shark from Jaws.
This is my main complaint as well. Aside from Joker and Harley Quinn, pretty much all of the DC villains were little more than cameos or background noise. It also isn't anywhere near as "Lego-centric" as The Lego Movie is, which might be a positive for some people.

I thought it was inferior to The Lego Movie in just about every way, but it was still entertaining.
Old 02-16-17, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Wish the other Bat-Villains had a bit more to do.
Internet sites went wild with the news that Billy Dee Williams is voicing Two-Face, yet he had all of one line.
But it was nice to see: Polka-Dot Man, The Eraser, Zodiac Man, and the Condiment King, plus others.
The villains in the finale act didn't interest me. Where was Zod?

Overall I give it either a C+ or a B-. Need to see it again to catch all the references.

I see it only made about 53 million. I guess BATMAN isn't the golden goose anymore.

Last edited by will travel; 02-16-17 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-16-17, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by will travel

I see it only made about 53 million. I guess BATMAN isn't the golden goose anymore.
Well its not a traditional Batman movie either.
Old 02-17-17, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Pretty damn amusing.

My second-grader and his best friend loved it.

But it was too freaking long.

Get your crap together, Warner Bros.!
Old 02-18-17, 07:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Holy shit this was funny. I agree the last act kind of puttered out, and having a couple of 3 years olds certainly makes it show. But for most of it, they loved it, and the in-jokes were funny as hell. I liked the Justice League cameos, but not at all unhappy they didn't really use them.

Even funnier this movie had a better storyline and carried more dramatic weight than any of the last live DC movies.

Last edited by E Unit; 02-18-17 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

My favorite easter egg was possibly the shark repellant:
Old 02-19-17, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Saw it tonight. I liked it a lot but not as much as I thought I might. Definitely a fun film but I think my expectations were higher. Tons of great in jokes though and I liked the voice acting. I was a tad disappointed that most of the actual Batman villains were bit parts as others have mentioned. Also I can agree that it was a tad on the long side. Still was worth seeing and I'll be picking up the Blu-ray though.
Old 02-20-17, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
Great movie. Loved the dance scene at the fortress of solitude.
Saw it last night, loved it. This scene was hilarious and it stood out the most to my kids

I'm hoping the BD has an extended version of it.
Old 02-20-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Just took my kids. I was hoping for another HR like Lego Movie but I left disappointed. I didn't like the story much and it was very light on laughs. I enjoyed all the cameo/Easter egg stuff, but this definitely was nowhere near as good as Lego Movie
Old 02-20-17, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

One thing I'll say is that this is the first time I've watched something Lego style and I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it. I kind of got sick of the style after a while. Some parts were funny because of it but other parts the gimmick of it got old to me. I still overall enjoyed it but not my favorite type of film.
Old 02-20-17, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

It's hard for me to get over the fact that the world was saved by abs... even in an absurd movie like this one, when they started stacking on each other I couldn't help but roll my eyes. And again shipping Barbara and Bruce. But everything else was great.
Old 02-23-17, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I caught a matinee the other day and liked it. It had more smile moments for me than LOL moments.

I did like Arnett's take on the Batman character. Lots of cool nods to other DC entities and previous Batman movies. I when they showed a clip from the 60's Batman and called it "Weird" Also liked Cera's Wide eyed and innocent take on Robin.

I did at the scene when Batman arrived at the Fortress of Solitude and saw the Super Friends partying without him. Nice little nod to the Super Friends cartoon there with pretty much all the primary characters, including the Wonder Twins.

Fun movie. Solid B+ from me.
Old 02-23-17, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It's hard for me to get over the fact that the world was saved by abs... even in an absurd movie like this one, when they started stacking on each other I couldn't help but roll my eyes. And again shipping Barbara and Bruce. But everything else was great.
Gotham was saved by Batman reconciling that he needed the Joker (and Barbara and Robin, etc)... abs was the running joke.
Old 03-01-17, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Saw this last night and was pretty impressed. So much history and self-reflection of the entire history of the franchise.

It was a little disappointing that the regular rogue's gallery didn't get as much time, but it was also hilarious seeing Batman versus the Eye of Sauron.

And eating the whole lobster shell

I wanted to ask about the "scuttler" vehicle? It could switch between jet and ground-crawler, is that from any other game or comic?
Old 06-18-17, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I was hoping for another HR like Lego Movie but I left disappointed. I didn't like the story much and it was very light on laughs. I enjoyed all the cameo/Easter egg stuff, but this definitely was nowhere near as good as Lego Movie
After watching it today, this is pretty much in line with my thoughts as well. Didn't really care for the final act and thought the movie could have been trimmed by 15 to 20 minutes. My kids started losing interest by the end too. It was entertaining, but The Lego Movie was still better in every way.
Old 06-19-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

yeah it was not as good as the Lego Movie and I started nodding off during some of the middle scenes. my 8 year old son loved it, tho
Old 06-21-17, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

As a huge Batman fan and fan of the original Lego Movie, this was a gigantic disappointment.
Old 06-21-17, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I finally saw this Monday night. I was thoroughly entertained. Best endorsement I can give.
Old 06-21-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Watched again last night. Even better and IMO better than the Lego Movie. But I'm a huge batfan.
Old 07-09-17, 07:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

This is so much fun and the 3D is great. Never expected to enjoy it this much. "What's the password?" "Iron Man sucks!". So well done. Think I liked this better than Lego Movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.