Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
re: Future DC Studios projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Suicide Squad is at least a B or C list property to start out with this early. The only reason it's sort of not is because they put The Joker and Batman in it. Also while they are giving exposure to their main characters I think the way they're used and how the films are structured plays an important role into how well received they are. Batman V Superman tried blowing it's load all at once and we saw how that worked out. So while I get what you're saying I think it is important to look at it from a larger angle of how they're piecing things together.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-11-16 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-11-16, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Booster Gold?

They're still throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

Look, guys, you need to establish your universe with the big guns... superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Flash, and Justice League... before you start looking at c-listers.
So now every film has to have a Big Guns pre-film? Fuck! I don't need to see 3 solo films to get to know a hero so he/she can be in a team up film.

God Damn Fuckin' Marvel...
Old 05-11-16, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Suicide Squad is at least a B or C list property to start out with this early. The only reason it's sort of not is because they put The Joker and Batman in it.
Suicide Squad doesn't really count to me since it's a unique concept that isn't trying to sell the DC Universe based on a titled superhero character, like the complaint appears to be here with Booster Gold. And like you said, featuring an A list villain in Joker makes it a complete odd ball in the scope of the shared universe thing.
Old 05-12-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

A Booster Gold movie? The bottom of the barrel has officially been reached.....well unless they make a Dazzler movie.
Old 05-12-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

still pumped for the Suicide Squad movie
Old 05-12-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's nothing wrong with being excited for it and I think it looks interesting. I just don't feel like it should have been something to focus on so early on when other more important characters aren't very well established. I'm sorry but introducing them in Batman V Superman was a poor attempt and while we've seen the characters now they're hardly well established (other than Superman somewhat but who's also a character a lot of people don't like the new version or are indifferent to the character in general).
Old 05-12-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Suicide Squad is going to pretty much be a Joker/Harley Quinn movie.

I do find it interesting that they're introducing the Joker in his own film before he shows up as a primary antagonist in a Batman film. It builds anticipation for the big showdown.
Old 05-12-16, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm sorry but introducing them in Batman V Superman was a poor attempt and while we've seen the characters now they're hardly well established (other than Superman somewhat but who's also a character a lot of people don't like the new version or are indifferent to the character in general).
You would say Batman is "hardly well established?"

Wonder Woman's introduction worked just fine.
Old 05-12-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This version of Batman isn't that well established. We saw him in action and we know his general backstory because of other films, shows, comics, etc. but there's still not a lot us to get attached to this version of the character with in my opinion. I don't think Affleck did a bad job but the film did a fairly poor job of making the audience care about any of the characters. Batman just was the coolest part of an otherwise shitty movie. Wonder Woman is the same only she's less established. We see her in action too and she's fairly cool but that doesn't mean she's a well established character. I just think it would have been smarter for the main three to have all gotten solo films before a team up movie happened.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-12-16 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-13-16, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Just imagine how many more times we could have seen the Waynes die if they had done it that way.
Old 05-13-16, 08:02 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

This version of Batman isn't that well established. We saw him in action and we know his general backstory because of other films, shows, comics, etc. but there's still not a lot us to get attached to this version of the character with in my opinion. I don't think Affleck did a bad job but the film did a fairly poor job of making the audience care about any of the characters. Batman just was the coolest part of an otherwise shitty movie. Wonder Woman is the same only she's less established. We see her in action too and she's fairly cool but that doesn't mean she's a well established character. I just think it would have been smarter for the main three to have all gotten solo films before a team up movie happened.
Imagine what would have happened if Bale's Batman was part of this universe. That in itself would have probably have taken this movie to the next level since we already have one really well established superhero with a trilogy of movies to bring him in with. And his age would have fit in well with the story line in BvS.

Last edited by E Unit; 05-13-16 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-13-16, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Just imagine how many more times we could have seen the Waynes die if they had done it that way.
Not saying they had to re-do the origin but they could have at least done a Batman solo film to establish where the character was at before the events of Batman V Superman.
Old 06-27-16, 10:52 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Nicholas Winding Refn would be interested in making a Batgirl movie:
http://uk.businessinsider.com/nicola...16-6?r=US&IR=T
Old 06-27-16, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Make it so!
Old 06-27-16, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuck everything else, NWR doing a Batgirl film trumps whatever else WB has it generically going in line for as it is. They need to shake it up. To just go boldly in a wild direction. Also.. Cliff Martinez doing the music. I guess Gosling would be in there too.
Old 09-07-16, 12:43 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Greg Berlanti’s Booster Gold Movie Won’t Be in DC Cinematic Universe

Back in May, superhero fans displeased with the DC cinematic universe's sludge-heavy darkness saw a ray of light when the world learned a Booster Gold movie was in development. The character is a humorous DC Comics mainstay, a cocky gent from the future who steals some high-tech equipment, travels back in time, and seeks fame and fortune as a superhero in the present. What's more, the potential film was being developed and possibly directed by Greg Berlanti, the super-producer behind sunny DC TV properties like The Flash and Supergirl. But as Vulture learned during our talk with Berlanti, it looks like Ol' Boosty won't be inhabiting the same shared universe as Batfleck and the murderous Henry Cavill Superman.

"As of right now we have no connective tissue to those worlds," Berlanti said when asked if the movie would be part of the DC Extended Universe that already includes Man of Steel, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, and Suicide Squad (with Wonder Woman and Justice League following in 2017). "It'd be a separate thing." He also said the project emerged from a long-dead Booster Gold TV show idea he was working on with longtime producing collaborator Andrew Kreisberg that "never got off the ground." After it bit the dust, Berlanti and Kreisberg got into talks with DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer (and reported new film co-chief) Geoff Johns, and the topic of the producing duo doing a movie came up.

Working with Zack Stentz, a writer who had penned an acclaimed second-season episode of The Flash and co-written on Marvel properties X-Men: First Class and Thor, they fleshed out the story. If the movie comes to pass, it will be an interesting departure for the superhero-movie world, not just as a rare lighthearted DC flick, but also because it will exist as a standalone story. The name of the game these days is complex cinematic universes, so it's interesting that Warner Bros. seems prepared to consider stepping outside that system, however tentatively and preliminarily.
http://www.vulture.com/2016/09/boost...-universe.html
Old 09-07-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

So he and Steel can exist outside of the universe....
Old 09-07-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Future DC Extended Universe projects discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.s

Oh Warner/DC I have so much faith in you faith in you that you know what you're doing...
Old 09-07-16, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Given that their extended universe has been shaky, I don't mind that at all. I'm sure there will be some way to fit it in, if necessary though.
Old 09-07-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just seems like another indication to me that most of this is being made up on the fly and there aren't many plans for what they're actually doing. Not that I care too much about Booster Gold but it's odd to me that they're trying to build up the DCEU but are also planning a separate film under the DC banner.
Old 09-07-16, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Just because there is no connective tissue at the moment doesn't mean they can't exist in the same universe.
Old 09-07-16, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Shazam isn't in universe either, from everything I've heard.
Old 09-07-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Forget the shared universe. Who cares. Just make GOOD MOVIES.
Old 09-07-16, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Just because there is no connective tissue at the moment doesn't mean they can't exist in the same universe.
The way that article reads though it sounds like they aren't intending it to be in the same universe.
Old 09-07-16, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Forget the shared universe. Who cares. Just make GOOD MOVIES.
Well they aren't doing that very well at the moment either and honestly it just kind of goes against what they're doing by making separate films from the shared universe they seem to be setting up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.