Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Apple TV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: The Apple TV Thread

It took freaking 3 months to acknowledge that there was a problem with the Netflix app so maybe it's going to take another 3 months to fix it. I have been watching Netflix on my PS3 and will continue to do so until they fix this "glitch".
Old 06-10-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just checked the Netflix app on my ATV and it seems that they have finally "fixed" the 5.1 DD issue. Hopefully it stays that way...
Old 07-10-14, 08:29 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

iTunes Extras are now available on AppleTV. Compatible titles have a blue iTunes Extras icon. Hit the Play button and it brings up a menu screen with options for Play, Extras and Related titles.

Apple brings iTunes Extras to Apple TV, HD Extras to Macs today & iOS 8 in fall

Apple today released iTunes version 11.3 and with it is making its iTunes Extras feature available for HD movies on Macs. Apple also announced today that the feature is now available for Apple TV with update 6.2 and will arrive on iOS 8 this fall.

While we’ll have to wait for iTunes Extras to arrive on iOS with the release of iOS 8 this fall, the Apple TV OS 6.2 update rolled out late last month to users alongside iOS 7.1.2.

iTunes Extras offers an interactive experience for some video content on iTunes that often includes behind-the-scenes videos, image galleries, commentary from the creators, cast interviews, exclusive clips, short films, and more. Content creators decide whether or not to offer the iTunes Extras feature and create the experience using templates provided by Apple. Apple also notes that “new iTunes Extras will be automatically added to your previously purchased HD movies as they become available- at no additional charge.”

The iTunes update, version 11.3, is available now through Software Update in the Mac App Store. The Apple TV update, version 6.2, which also brought general performance and stability improvements, is available now as an over-the-air update.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/10/apple-...ios-8-in-fall/
Old 07-21-14, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Netflix app on the Apple TV has finally added the "continue the next episode" feature present in most of the other streaming Netflix apps like the PS3.
Old 07-29-14, 11:13 PM

Today's update added Fox Now and CNBC.

Apple TV adds CNBC, Fox Now

Apple on Tuesday said it grew its lineup of channels on its Apple TV set-top box, this time with CNBC, Fox Now, and two regional channels.

With Tuesday's additions, Apple's set-top box now carries offerings from more major networks. The CNBC channel will provide real-time streaming of daily programs and on-demand video clips. To view live CNBC content and full episodes, Apple TV users will need to authenticate through their cable or satellite providers. Fox Now will offer full episodes of shows such as Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Sleepy Hollow, New Girl and Glee. The Fox service, as well, requires authentication of a Fox subscription.

Also, Apple TV added Esporte Interativo, a sports channel available in Brazil that becomes the device's first local channel in Latin America. TV 2 Sumo, a sports channel available in Norway, will be Apple TV's first local channel for the Norwegian region.

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-tv-adds-cnbc-fox-now/
Old 07-31-14, 10:07 AM

Lots of reports going around today say that the next AppleTV has been delayed until 2015.

Apple TV overhaul not expected to debut until 2015

A new report from The Information published today discussing the next generation of Apple TV says the new set-top box won’t be ready for prime time until at least 2015. This expectancy timeline aligns with previous 9to5Mac reporting on the Apple TV development progress.

According to the report, Apple employees managing the project have informed Apple TV engineers working on the next generation set-top box that it is currently not expected to reach completion in time to debut in 2014.

The new Apple TV product, which is said to tackle content access more aggressively than the current product offered, is taking longer than previously expected due to deals with cable companies as well the Comcast-Time Warner Cable merger currently pending.

FULL ARTICLE - http://9to5mac.com/2014/07/30/apple-...ut-until-2015/
Old 08-05-14, 12:08 PM

NFL Now app coming to Apple TV this month

The NFL will be launching a new NFL Now service later this month, and it will be coming to the Apple TV with a dedicated application, according to an image of the app in testing taken by an NFL employee. NFL Now was introduced in January, and it is a personalized NFL content application with on-demand highlights, extensive archives, and news broadcasts.

The launch will occur later this month in order for fans to prepare for the 2014-2015 NFL season, and a source says that the debut may even occur later this week.

The NFL Now application will be the first app on the Apple TV dedicated to football, but, of course, NFL content has been previously available via application such as ESPNNow. NFL Now will also launch on the iOS App Store for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, and it will be available on the web and Apple TV competitors like the Roku and Xbox. The NFL will also be conducting a digital push for NFL Sunday Ticket this fall, but there have been no indications that Sunday Ticket will, too, arrive on the Apple TV.

FULL ARTICLE - http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/04/nfl-no...tv-this-month/
Old 08-13-14, 12:52 PM

Get a $25 iTunes Gift Card when you buy an AppleTV ($99 + Free Shipping). Offer expires Sept 30th.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-appletv/appletv
Old 08-14-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Lots of reports going around today say that the next AppleTV has been delayed until 2015.
I think we are the only two people posting in this thread
The rumour is that there will be a new ATV 4 this fall and what has been delayed until next year is the TV version. I guess we have to wait and see.

I hope the new OS8 upgrade coming up won't screw up the current apps specially Netflix.
Old 08-14-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
The rumour is that there will be a new ATV 4 this fall and what has been delayed until next year is the TV version. I guess we have to wait and see.
No, the rumors are that the Apple TV 4 has been delayed to 2015.
Old 08-14-14, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
No, the rumors are that the Apple TV 4 has been delayed to 2015.
Not according to this report that a new set-top box will be released this year.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...-2015---report
Old 08-14-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

It would be nice if Apple would fix the connection issues with itunes streaming. Sometimes it will work for hours, more often it will lose the connection until I close and reopen itunes.

Other than that, I do like the AppleTV. Being able to throw something from the ipad up to the tv is pretty cool, especially if my wife is watching something annoying.
Old 08-14-14, 01:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That is most likely a problem on your end
Old 08-14-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not according to this report that a new set-top box will be released this year.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/...-2015---report
What part of that story's headline is unclear to you?

New Apple TV 'stalls' because of cable companies & content deals, likely not arriving until 2015
And from the story itself:

Earlier reports had suggested that a revamped Apple TV set-top box was on track for release this year. Wednesday's report suggests that was Apple's intent, but snags in negotiations behind the scenes for content may have prompted the company to delay its launch past the lucrative holiday shopping season.
Old 08-14-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What part of that story's headline is unclear to you?

And from the story itself:
All of it obviously. I did not read that properly.
Old 08-14-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All of it obviously. I did not read that properly.
I sure wish the situation weren't true. My Apple TV is getting a little long in the tooth, but I'm equally perturbed that Apple is trying to enter deals with cable companies. I think they'd better serve cord cutters by putting OTA DVR capabilities in the thing.
Old 08-14-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sure wish the situation weren't true. My Apple TV is getting a little long in the tooth, but I'm equally perturbed that Apple is trying to enter deals with cable companies. I think they'd better serve cord cutters by putting OTA DVR capabilities in the thing.
I hope you eventually get the features that you are looking for in the Apple TV.

Here is my long rant about the Apple TV:
I like my ATV3 and I think it does a great job for me since I can't use the set-box to its fullest anyway. I stated before in this thread that my reason for owning it was because I watch US content for Hulu+ and Netflix. I also have a subscription for the WWE network and a great deal of digital movies and TV shows thanks to my Blu-ray purchases. Since most of the other network apps require a cable/satellite verification, they are useless to me. The ATV allows you to set up the DNS to change regions very easily compared to the Roku set-boxes.

The issues that I have been noticing has been in regards to the app themselves most specifically the Netflix app which I use a lot. I think the Netflix app on the ATV is half-assed compared to the Roku for example. The whole issue of not having 5.1 sound after the OS 6.1 update for months and Apple and Netflix not doing anything about it plus getting features that have been present on the apps in other set-boxes long before and we are just getting it now, it's ridiculous. I just read recently that the Roku Netflix app got an update making it "faster". Plus I think they have something called DD 5.1+ for sound too.

I know Apple is there to push their products (iTunes for example) but they should make more of an effort with their app makers to optimized their apps to the fullest.

I also would like a subscription type of service for movies, TV shows and music (which I'm hoping this become reality with the purchase of Beats).
Old 08-15-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Philly30
That is most likely a problem on your end
Such as?

I have no issues streaming anything else through the AppleTV, so it's not a connection issue between the AppleTV and the router. I've never had problems streaming anything with my computer, so it's not a connection issue between the computer and the router. That leads me to believe that the connection between the AppleTV and the computer should be good. No changes are made to restore connectivity other than closing itunes and reopening.

When I first purchased the AppleTV, it worked with no issues. After one of the updates, I started experiencing the problems. It appears there are several others who have the same problem, starting with the same update.
Old 08-16-14, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I love my Apple TV!
Old 09-23-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FXNow has finally come to the Apple TV.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...es-to-apple-tv
Old 09-24-14, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the way the apps look on the Apple TV after the update. I think the "flat" look works better here than on the iPhone or iPad.
Old 11-05-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So my ATV has been updated to 7.0.1 and it seems that the iTunes TV shows app has gone missing. It shows Movies, Music, Radio, Computer and settings but where the heck is TV now? Is it just me?
Old 11-05-14, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So my ATV has been updated to 7.0.1 and it seems that the iTunes TV shows app has gone missing. It shows Movies, Music, Radio, Computer and settings but where the heck is TV now? Is it just me?
Never mind. It was just me.
Old 11-05-14, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Hope they can add Nick Reboot at some point as a channel.
Old 12-10-14, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The ATV has updated the YouTube app and has a few new apps: The Scene, UFC, DailyMotion and Fusion.

Apple needs to steps up and introduce more worthwhile apps if they want the ATV to compete with the other streaming devices.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.