Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Apple TV Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Apple TV Thread

Without an App store the Roku 3 really blows it away.
Old 12-15-14, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Yeah, if it was easier to change the DNS on the Roku, that's what I would be using instead of the ATV. However, being part of the Apple environment lessens the blow a little bit...
Old 01-08-15, 08:11 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Looks like Apple is developing Reverse Airplay. I'm not sure how useful that would be.

Apple Patent Details Reverse AirPlay Mirroring

Imagine a future where the Apple TV streams content via AirPlay to mobile devices. An Apple patent titled "Displaying a synchronized instance of content on a portable electronic device" explains this very process in detail. Normally, content is sent from an AirPlay enabled app on an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to the Apple TV.

The patent explains the reverse of this process, with a fixed display system such as the Apple TV feeding synchronized content to the portable device. The iOS device viewing the content would automatically determine if the content being streamed is compatible and can be viewed. If so, the content would be synchronized and delivered via AirPlay on a Wi-Fi network.

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/974128
Old 01-08-15, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It'll be useful when an actual Apple TV comes out, Samsung is doing the same thing with their sets.
Old 01-18-15, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ATV just added a Tennis app channel.
Old 01-19-15, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Give me Nick Reboot!!
Old 03-05-15, 10:24 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

so if i buy this...http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NLM7QQ0/...I1ZTRLHLEKEVB9

i can stream content from my iPhone 6 via WiFi to my Sony Bravia via HDMI cable?

thanks.
Old 03-05-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy

i can stream content from my iPhone 6 via WiFi to my Sony Bravia via HDMI cable?

thanks.
Yep.

First, you want this one: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-TV-MD199.../dp/B007I5JT4S -- It's $13 cheaper w/ an HDMI cable, all Apple TVs come with a remote. The one you linked to is a ripoff.

Second: The Apple TV hooks into your Bravia via HDMI

Third: Connect Apple TV to Wifi, Connect iPhone to Wifi, Mirror/Stream to your hearts content.
Old 03-05-15, 11:36 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yep.

First, you want this one: http://www.amazon.com/Apple-TV-MD199.../dp/B007I5JT4S -- It's $13 cheaper w/ an HDMI cable, all Apple TVs come with a remote. The one you linked to is a ripoff.

Second: The Apple TV hooks into your Bravia via HDMI

Third: Connect Apple TV to Wifi, Connect iPhone to Wifi, Mirror/Stream to your hearts content.
perfect. thanks Rich!
Old 03-09-15, 12:25 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy

thanks.
they just announced appletv is dropping from $99 to $69. if you haven't bought it yet, hold off a few days for new price to kick in.
Old 03-09-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

$69 is a great deal but I want the updated one, so I will continue. At this point I'm thinking it will be released in the fall. I can wait.
Old 03-09-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What all features are people expecting on a "new model" of the Apple TV? I've always thought the device works well enough (AirPlay specifically) but was never a fan of the Netflix interface and (obvious) exclusivity to iTunes. But I am curious whats missing from the current version (It's been what, close to 3 years now? It has to need a refresh soon.)

Last edited by RichC2; 03-09-15 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-09-15, 01:41 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i got it specifically for airplay to play videos off my ipad/iphone. i don't subscribe to any video services and the only apps ive ever opened on it is youtube and trailers.

still completely satisfied for airplay alone. i'd only wish for local storage which i'm sure is never gonna happen.
Old 03-09-15, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
What all features are people expecting on a "new model" of the Apple TV? I've always thought the device works well enough (AirPlay specifically) but was never a fan of the Netflix interface and (obvious) exclusivity to iTunes. But I am curious whats missing from the current version (It's been what, close to 3 years now? It has to need a refresh soon.)
My biggest complaint is the lack of an App Store. There are companies like AcornTV that have been trying to get on Apple TV for years. I've heard that an App Store would require a hardware upgrade, and couldn't be implemented into the current model.

I'd also like to see the ability to attach a webcam for Skype/Facetime video chat.

Maybe add Siri voice control. And a Universal Search would be great.

They'll definitely need hardware upgrades for 4K streaming.

And until they offer Amazon Prime and Vudu, they'll always be stuck in 2nd Place behind the Roku.
Old 03-09-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I was always curious if they were going to go the App Store route, but it seemed unlikely since it would be difficult to keep it iTunes exclusive like it is now (They'd almost have to allow Vudu, Cinemanow, Amazon, etc; on board). Skype/Facetime makes sense.
Old 03-09-15, 02:01 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oh, if you missed the apple event today, they announced this HBO Now service:

HBO Now:
"A stand-alone streaming service: HBO Now. Apple is the exclusive partner at launch."

"Coming in early April for $14.99 a month.
All original programming, past, present and future. No cable or satellite subscription. Just broadband connection and Apple device."

First month free....In time for Game of Thrones premiere
Old 03-09-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking that HBO Now is for US residents only. I wonder if I can subscribe to it like I do for Hulu Plus?
Old 03-09-15, 03:57 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I'm thinking that HBO Now is for US residents only. I wonder if I can subscribe to it like I do for Hulu Plus?
fine print has US residents only unfortunately:

"HBO NOW℠ is accessible only in the U.S. and certain U.S. territories..."

http://www.apple.com/appletv/hbo-now/
Old 03-09-15, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HN
fine print has US residents only unfortunately:

"HBO NOW℠ is accessible only in the U.S. and certain U.S. territories..."

http://www.apple.com/appletv/hbo-now/
Thanks for the link! I think I will be able to sign up using my US iTunes account through my ATV. I only need to make sure that my account has sufficient funds.
Old 03-09-15, 04:46 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

You'll be paying about $18.90 CAD, man! That's a bit much for HBO NOW, isn't it?
Old 03-09-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to see if it's going to be worth it for me. Right now the only shows that I watch are Game of Thrones and True Detective.
Old 03-09-15, 05:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Yeah I understand. I was just joking about our joke of an exchange rate.
I'd consider giving it a shot if I had an ATV. Since I don't, I'll wait three months. I'd love to sign up for a couple months and binge-watch a ton of shows, but HBO NOW isn't a subscription I would keep active throughout the year, personally. I get more out of Hulu Plus right now.

Oh, and HBO Canada is owned by Bell & Shaw (of course...), so I don't think we'll get a proper Canadian version of HBO NOW for years, if ever. Or it'll be tied to a "premium edition" of CraveTV or SHOMI or some bullshit.
Old 03-09-15, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I have been getting my money worth with Hulu Plus even with our poor exchange rate

I don't think we'll ever get HBO Now app but I have been thinking getting the Sling Dish and getting rid of Rogers cable. I heard that it works with Unblock-us.
Old 03-09-15, 05:18 PM

How does this usually work? Is it handled through iTunes billing? If you have credit on your Apple account, will iTunes deduct from the credit or bill your credit card in full?

You can often pick-up iTunes cards at 20% Off. If they'll deduct from credit, that'll bring the monthly price down to $12.
Old 03-09-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
How does this usually work? Is it handled through iTunes billing? If you have credit on your Apple account, will iTunes deduct from the credit or bill your credit card in full?

You can often pick-up iTunes cards at 20% Off. If they'll deduct from credit, that'll bring the monthly price down to $12.
Yes. I signed up last year to the WWE online using my US iTunes account billing since I had credit. They deduct from your account first and if there's not enough funds, they bill your credit card. Since they require US credit card, (I don't have it and can't use my Canadian), I just buy US iTunes cards and make sure that there's credit available for the deduction.

I'm pretty sure it would work the same way for HBO Now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.