Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-14, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: What's the last TPB/Graphic Novel you bought?

Originally Posted by sinned
Yeah, they still had the codes. Maybe I should eBay them & get a dollar or so back.

Marvel's latest solicitations in Previews has Captain America # 22-25 in premeire hardcover (regular sized) format for $25. That's 4 issues for $25! Crazy! I'm starting to think they are deliberately overpricing their books because they know we can get them at a discount from online stores.
Ouch...even if 25 is double-sized, you have a point about the msrp. Of course, I will be picking this book up from instocktrades, which helps reduce the sticker shock.
Old 09-15-14, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned
Marvel's latest solicitations in Previews has Captain America # 22-25 in premeire hardcover (regular sized) format for $25. That's 4 issues for $25! Crazy! I'm starting to think they are deliberately overpricing their books because they know we can get them at a discount from online stores.
People connected with Marvel have publicly stated their pricing is a direct reflection of that market reality. When fans have complained about pricing on their various Twitter and Facebook accounts, Marvel responds to buy them at discount from places like Instocktrade.

I still consider most of their normal hardcovers overpriced, though I admit they don't make the same amount of publishing mistakes that DC commonly makes.
Old 09-18-14, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently there was a deal recently at Best Buy to get this for $3 if you bought the Blu-ray, or something like that. I opted for the Target exclusive for the Blu-ray and decided to just order the comic online, since I could get a hardcover version. I'm not expecting it to be as good as Dark Horse's excellent Godzilla comics from the 90s, but I liked the new movie enough to want something else set in that world, and the reviews are decent enough.

Plus I'm just a big fucking sucker for trashy tie-in fiction.
Old 09-20-14, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Best Buy had a whole mess of that graphic novel by the Blu-ray copies.
Old 10-04-14, 07:57 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory

Apparently there was a deal recently at Best Buy to get this for $3 if you bought the Blu-ray, or something like that. I opted for the Target exclusive for the Blu-ray and decided to just order the comic online, since I could get a hardcover version. I'm not expecting it to be as good as Dark Horse's excellent Godzilla comics from the 90s, but I liked the new movie enough to want something else set in that world, and the reviews are decent enough.

Plus I'm just a big fucking sucker for trashy tie-in fiction.
I think I own that on Comixology, but for $3 I'd probably pick it up for a nice Halloween hand out after I read it.
Old 10-12-14, 07:59 PM

Dollar Tree had a new little rack of graphic novels; mainly licensed stuff like Speed Racer.

I picked up The Official Movie Prelude to Legion: Prophets and the Igor Movie Adaptation for Horror Challenge reading.
Old 10-13-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grabbed the john carteromnibus for 15 bucks to try
Old 10-16-14, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Donald Duck "Ghost of the Gretto" besides this long story it also reprinted 2 ten page stories and 4 or 5
one pagers all by the GREAT Carl Barks.
Old 10-26-14, 08:06 AM

Found this in the bargain bin of my local shop late last night.
Old 11-05-14, 06:58 PM

i obtained the following from the Tales From Another World Progressive 70% Off sale:

- Kerry and the Scary Things GN Michael Golden Sketch Edition. TFAW was asking $150, so $45 for a B&W Golden sketch is a great deal.
- Sorceress The Enchanting Art of Dan Brereton Sketch Edition (Hardcover). TFAW was asking $119, so $35.70 for a color Brereton sketch was also another wonderful deal.

From my final batch, I received what was supposed to be a nick and dent copy of Marvel's The Evolutionary War Omnibus (70% off), but the copy I received is new, as I cannot find the damage to this copy that would hurt its resale value. This was a classic mistake, or they were kind to me and sent me a new copy because I dropped over $300 on the Progressive Sale.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 11-09-14 at 02:06 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This bad mf'er

Old 11-14-14, 09:49 AM

I'm seriously contemplating that one.

I have lots of Barks and Rosa in Gladstone singles and trades, but they really do deserve deluxe treatment.
Old 11-14-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Barks and Rosa
Old 11-14-14, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some nefarious villain must have slipped it in the bargain bin for some unknown scheme. Truly worth its weight in gold.
Originally Posted by Trevor

Found this in the bargain bin of my local shop late last night.
Old 11-15-14, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I just got the Spider-Man: Civil War hardcover from GoHastings for 21.75 including shipping! I usually wait for sales before buying things there, but I knew I couldn't wait on this. Although this does raise the question, do I have to read the main CW mini-series or anything else, or will I be able to understand it on its own? I know the general gist of the event, but not many specifics.
Old 11-15-14, 08:17 PM

The last hardcover I bought, Tomb of Dracula Omnibus#3 looks great on my shelf next to.... the same book that I forgot I owned. Anyone want to trade?
Old 11-15-14, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

B&N has a sale going on. Buy 2 get the 3rd TPB free. Got Gotham Central Vol. 1-3. Nice....

used a 20% coupon too. came up to 35 bucks good deal for those three.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 11-15-14 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-15-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don't know how I missed it but DC just released The Batman Adventures Volume One which is the comic based on Batman: The Animated Series. That's possibly my favorite version of Batman ever and I had some of the comics growing up and had been hoping this would become a reality so I ordered it and also pre-ordered the second volume which is slated to come out next June. There's also Mad Love and Other Stories out which I'll get eventually.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-15-14 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-16-14, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor
The last hardcover I bought, Tomb of Dracula Omnibus#3 looks great on my shelf next to.... the same book that I forgot I owned. Anyone want to trade?
That has happened to me once or twice. I've never really cataloged my collection very well since I lost the electronic records for it a few years ago.
Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't know how I missed it but DC just released The Batman Adventures Volume One which is the comic based on Batman: The Animated Series. That's possibly my favorite version of Batman ever and I had some of the comics growing up and had been hoping this would become a reality so I ordered it and also pre-ordered the second volume which is slated to come out next June. There's also Mad Love and Other Stories out which I'll get eventually.
I've been eagerly anticipating those trades. I've not read more than one or two issues from that series.
Old 11-19-14, 06:07 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black Science. It has breathtakingly amazing artwork by Matteo Scalera. Each panel is so lovingly rendered, and such beautiful detailing has gone into it that it looks like something you'd want to frame and hang up on your wall or make it your FB cover image! Even though it is a bit unrealistic (after all, it's fiction we're talking about), but each new universe depicted in the book is more inventive than the last.
Old 11-19-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've been eagerly anticipating those trades. I've not read more than one or two issues from that series.
I think if you enjoyed Batman: The Animated Series or even The New Adventures of Batman you'll enjoy this series. Its very similar in tone obviously and the stories are usually decent. I hope that DC releases the entire series because there's quite a few incarnations of it over the years.
Old 11-22-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
B&N has a sale going on. Buy 2 get the 3rd TPB free. Got Gotham Central Vol. 1-3. Nice....

used a 20% coupon too. came up to 35 bucks good deal for those three.
A 30% coupon is supposedly coming for Black Friday. I hope they have what I want in stock.
Old 12-13-14, 01:39 PM

I buy a ton of books from instocktrades, mostly to read and sell on eBay (helps me put a wee bit back in my pocket to help pay for my habit), so in this thread I will only mention books I bought that are likely to stay on my shelves for potentially 1+ years. That being said, my latest book is Mars Attacks Complete Collection Limited Trading Card Edition (purchased during ist's BF/Cyber Monday Week sale).

If this book pops in value relative to what I paid, then buh bye, it gets eBayed, otherwise, I am happy it is part of my collection.
Old 12-13-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got Bendis' Age of Ultron hardcover. I've seen mixed reviews for it, but I snagged it fairly cheaply.
Old 12-14-14, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Just got this:

It's the deluxe over-sized hardcover, collecting the first 18 issues.
Haven't read the series yet, but if it's half as good as Vaughn's Y The Last Man, I'll be stoked.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.