Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Saw Powers Saturday night at the Troubador. It was fantastic.
Old 04-10-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I saw Rufus Wainwright on Saturday night in Iowa City, which was the second time I've seen him. He just woke up from a nap before the show, as he had two shows in Chicago the previous night, but he was still great.
Old 04-10-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Aretha Franklin at Mohegan Sun Arena (CT).

I went mostly because she's an icon, and I've never seen her live. I had low expectations (I heard she only plays a 60 minute set, and her voice isn't that great anymore). I was pleasantly surprised! She had a crack 25-piece band, she played all her hits, played for 1h40m, and she still sounded pretty good. Yes, she's lost some power at the top of her range, but her phrasing and pitch still just can't be beat. She was in a good mood - told some funny stories, called a few audibles that lengthened the set, and dedicated several songs to friends in the audience (including Clive Davis!!).

Really glad I went; she tours very rarely these days (this one-off was her first full concert since last summer).
I went to that show and my experience mirrored yours almost exactly.
Old 04-10-17, 05:08 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

Radiohead at Key Arena -not bad, not as amazing as it could have been..
Old 04-10-17, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,018 Likes on 841 Posts

Regina Spektor at the Paramount
Rebirth Brass Band (New Orleans jazz) at Benaroya Hall
Old 04-10-17, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Radiohead in Portland. Was as amazing at it should've been.
Old 04-10-17, 07:49 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Ha - I've just been lucky to have seen them a lot over the years, and I felt like they have gone a bit flat - there wasn't the energy - Musically they were solid, apart from Thom fucking up the Gloaming twice, but I just didn't feel it like I have in the past. Maybe the venue, maybe the setlist
Old 04-10-17, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BDB
Ha - I've just been lucky to have seen them a lot over the years, and I felt like they have gone a bit flat - there wasn't the energy - Musically they were solid, apart from Thom fucking up the Gloaming twice, but I just didn't feel it like I have in the past. Maybe the venue, maybe the setlist
Last night was my Radiohead cherry. And even when they played Creep, they seemed to put a lot into it (even though they hate playing it, but they haven't played Portland since it was popular )
Old 04-20-17, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sheryl Crow, last night at The Bowery Ballroom NYC. Small place and she rocked it.
Old 04-20-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Katatonia at Metro in Chicago. Awesome show.

My good friends in Novembers Doom were added late to the show as openers and killed it.

Katatonia was amazing. They definitely pull their material off live.
Old 04-21-17, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Went to this concert last Saturday:

I don't normally follow Latin music, but a friend had an extra ticket and invited me, so I went as a way of stepping out of my comfort zone and I had a good time. It was all old-school, which helped.
Old 04-21-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw Anthrax and (some of) Killswitch Engage last night because I won tickets through Sirius XM. Anthrax was great.
Old 04-24-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife and I saw The Flaming Lips in Des Moines on Saturday night, at a smallish theater. Even though they said they never really play theaters anymore, they made it a fucking great show with a ton of theatrics and played just about every song I was hoping for.

Old 04-24-17, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I am still deciding on whether to see Flaming Lips later in the year. Other than whatever current-album shit they mix in, they have been playing pretty much the same songs for years.
Old 04-24-17, 05:45 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Katatonia at Metro in Chicago. Awesome show.

My good friends in Novembers Doom were added late to the show as openers and killed it.

Katatonia was amazing. They definitely pull their material off live.
I was at this show too!

My biggest regret is getting there late and missing not only all of the Uncured and Novembers Doom sets, but most of Caspian's set as well. The portion that I did see of Caspian got me to pick up their entire catalog. Good stuff.

Katatonia was good if you like drums. The vocals and guitars were so buried in the mix that it was hard for me to hear much else. I download an audience copy of the show and my ears were not deceiving me, the drums were just that loud in the mix.

House mix aside, one reason that they may have sounded good was that some guitars, vocals, and other sounds were pre-taped. Which to me is kind of a disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Katatonia fan, and I understand why they (and anyone else) may elect to include pre-recorded tracks to augment the live stuff. And I don't think that it was used too excessively in this instance, but for some reason it was disappointing.

Then again, nothing can beat the Cult Of Luna/Katatonia show from Chicago's Bottom Lounge in 2013. One of my all time favorite shows.
Old 04-24-17, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I missed the Anthrax/Killswitch ticket giveaway

Saw Steel Panther on Friday. They take every stereotype of 80s hair metal and satirize/crank it to 11 (or maybe 15 in some cases), and yet were pretty solid musically too. Fun show.
Old 04-25-17, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Red Hot Chili Peppers last week. My pics from the show:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/223254...57680410226362
Old 04-26-17, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

I saw The Flaming Lips last night at it was a blast. Great setlist and the show was over the top fun as usual. Plus Wayne sounded great for Wayne.
Old 04-26-17, 08:48 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Saw Miyavi last night at the House of Blues. There was a 20-ish kid with his girlfriend that ran and pushed his way in front of me and pushed aside a few young girls (we were packed in already) right before Miyavi was coming out. I grabbed him and pull him straight back behind me again and we exchanged a few words. He was giving me this "he's a real fan and I'm not" and wanted me to name some Miyavi songs, but I was told him show these girls some respect, they were all po'd at the guy crashing into them.

But the show was just okay. Opening acts from Korea and Thailand were fun to watch. Miyavi plays to a lot of backing tracks and backing vocals using just a drummer and a DJ, so it's a little different to watch for a rock act, but he definitely has talent on the guitar. He recently had a starring role in the movie Broken as an evil prison camp director.
Old 04-26-17, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by bleorg
I was at this show too!

My biggest regret is getting there late and missing not only all of the Uncured and Novembers Doom sets, but most of Caspian's set as well. The portion that I did see of Caspian got me to pick up their entire catalog. Good stuff.

Katatonia was good if you like drums. The vocals and guitars were so buried in the mix that it was hard for me to hear much else. I download an audience copy of the show and my ears were not deceiving me, the drums were just that loud in the mix.

House mix aside, one reason that they may have sounded good was that some guitars, vocals, and other sounds were pre-taped. Which to me is kind of a disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Katatonia fan, and I understand why they (and anyone else) may elect to include pre-recorded tracks to augment the live stuff. And I don't think that it was used too excessively in this instance, but for some reason it was disappointing.

Then again, nothing can beat the Cult Of Luna/Katatonia show from Chicago's Bottom Lounge in 2013. One of my all time favorite shows.
I was up in the balcony for their set and up there the drums didn't seem quite as overpowering but they were definitely too prominent.

Man I wish I could have seen that show at Bottom Lounge - I love that venue. Can't wait to see Anathema there in August.

Regarding the pre-recorded material, I didn't really notice guitars and vocals were being used in the background but definitely the synth sounds since they didn't have a live player. As a musician in a band who also uses background sounds for symphonic elements, I have mixed feelings about that. Katatonia's music created a layered sound that may be difficult to recreate live with two guitar players. As for vocals, I was impressed the backing vocal ability of both guitarists, but it's possible they can't sing and play certain parts at the same time. I know I can't!
Old 04-28-17, 09:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Alton Brown at ACL Moody Theater. Apparently he sings songs now during his Eat Your Science tour.
Old 04-28-17, 11:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Hammerfall and Delain Thursday night.

Battle Beast, Leave' Eyes, and Sabaton Friday night.

Both shows at the Cleveland Agora.

So glad Sabaton is finally headlining the US. Great live band.
Old 04-30-17, 07:17 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

The Weeknd at Key Arena - amazing - superb show great stage setup..

Next up U2!
Old 04-30-17, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

John Mellencamp short radio concert @ The iHeartradio Theater NYC.
Old 05-01-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

was given free tickets to Sister Hazel and Georgia Flood

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.