Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pearl Jam Official Bootleg = Good!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

I was taking a yearly trip to Denver to watch a Bronco game and realized Pearl Jam would be there the day before my arrival. I've never seen them live, so changed my flight and arrived in time to see them.

It was fantastic! Literally one of the best concerts I've ever seen. I had a blast and they seemed to play all night! It was amazing!

My son (who is really into music) tells me that Pearl Jam releases their concerts as "official bootlegs". And while not studio quality, they are good and better than a fan recording or anything.

So when released I got the Denver show I went too. 40 songs, 198 minutes of just greatness. I love it and recommend!

http://pearljam.com/goods/index.php?cPath=11_13
Old 12-14-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Pearl Jam Official Bootleg = Good!

Yeah I've always liked that Pearl Jam does this with their live shows (or at least the ones from the past decade or so I believe). Kind of a nice memento of the concert to have and re-listen to or if you're like me and a big fan just pick and choose some that have good set lists or show reviews just to add to your collection. I wish Eddie would do the same thing for his solo shows.
Old 12-15-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

They started it in 2000:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_J...icial_Bootlegs

Also, Pearl Jam started the "Vault" series of releases in 2011 to release live recordings made prior to 2000, starting with a January 17, 1992 show at the Moore Theater:
http://www.twofeetthick.com/2011/10/...he-moore-1992/
Old 12-15-14, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

The only Perl Jam live cds I ever purchased, were a set of discs titled "Dissident" back in 1995. (IIRC, it was a concert in Atlanta).

After that, I largely lost interest in Pearl Jam.
Old 12-15-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy
The only Perl Jam live cds I ever purchased, were a set of discs titled "Dissident" back in 1995. (IIRC, it was a concert in Atlanta).
That was a box set of the three "Dissident" singles released in Europe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disside...ive_in_Atlanta
Altogether, the three "Dissident" singles compile the band's April 3, 1994 concert in Atlanta, Georgia, with the only omissions being three songs from the yet-to-be-released Vitalogy ("Whipping", "Better Man", and "Satan's Bed") and the Dead Boys cover "Sonic Reducer". All three singles were available as a box set entitled Live in Atlanta released in Europe.
Old 12-15-14, 03:47 PM

Back in the day, I only really listened to that live in Atlanta set and the first two cds. I never got into Vitalogy, in spite of listening to it over a hundred times back when it was first released.

Did they ever officially re-release any Mookie Blaylock era demo tapes, on cd?
Old 12-15-14, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Still need to see them live... gotta get on that, next time around for sure - what's the best way to get the first word on new tours?
Old 12-15-14, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Either sign up on their web site for the Ten Club newsletter or you could go to the Ticketmaster web site and add them as one of your favorite bands and they'll notify you when they'll be close to where you want to see them. You're basically in their backyard so I would think they'd be fairly easy to see.
Old 12-15-14, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I got to see the NO CODE Moline show and bought it's official bootleg. It's great but the fan one hold so much of the energy because of the crowd noise is cut back obviously on the soundboard recording but I'm thankful to have both. Now if that show of the tour poster wasn't going for $300-500 on ebay...

It was my first time I ever seen them and knew something magic was going on that night.
Old 12-16-14, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Did they ever officially re-release any Mookie Blaylock era demo tapes, on cd?
Not the full session, but some of the songs were released as bonus tracks on a re-issue of Ten:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_(Pe...#Track_listing
Old 12-16-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I really wish more bands would do this. At the very least a single recording from the tour just completed. I've bought every official bootleg available from a show I've seen (which is only a few), and try to pick up a DVD/Blu if one is put out documenting the tour.

Metallica and STS9 are two other bands who put out recordings of their shows.
Old 12-16-14, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I really wish more bands would do this. At the very least a single recording from the tour just completed. I've bought every official bootleg available from a show I've seen (which is only a few), and try to pick up a DVD/Blu if one is put out documenting the tour.

Metallica and STS9 are two other bands who put out recordings of their shows.
Another band that does this is Iron Maiden. Typically a live album cd and dvd (or bluray) are released after every tour.

Though I didn't buy many of their live albums after Bruce Dickinson rejoined the band in 1999. I only really listen to the studio albums after the y2k album "Brave New World". I have very little to no interest in their live albums after 2000.

Last edited by morriscroy; 12-16-14 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-17-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sort of off topic but on the topic of Pearl Jam. I wonder if we'll ever get more of the big deluxe box sets for the remaining albums in their catalog like we got for Ten and Vs./Vitalogy. I have both those sets and would totally go for the rest of their albums in that format if they're ever released.
Old 12-17-14, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here. A No Code/Yield box would be amazing (hopefully). The Jack Years! Maybe throw some Merkinball tracks in there.
Old 12-19-14, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 555 Posts

Well, there's gotta be a reason for the No Code / Yield full-album runs in Moline and Milwaukee, respectively...