Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acclaim

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acclaim

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

The Beatles- George Harrison, John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney (Even though Ringo didn't possess much talent as a songwriter, he's still as well known and well regarded as the rest)

Metallica- James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Dave Mustaine, Cliff Burton

KISS- Gene Simmons, Peter Criss, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley
Old 12-03-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acc

Rush
The Who
Old 12-03-14, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acc

The Band - Though Robbie has his detractors
The Police
Cream - Nah Ginger's an ass
Old 12-03-14, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

r.e.m.
Old 12-03-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Led Zeppelin

KISS ?
Old 12-03-14, 07:40 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

The Traveling Wilburys.
Old 12-03-14, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Not a "Band", but I'll go with New Edition

Ricky Bell
Michael Bivins
Bobby Brown
Ronnie DeVoe
Johnny Gill
Ralph Tresvant
Old 12-03-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Duran Duran's members were all pretty well-known. I wasn't even the biggest fan, but I can still name all of Simon LeBon, Nick Rhodes, Andy Taylor, Roger Taylor, and John Taylor.

Speaking of Taylors, Queen is another one. Freddie Mercury, Brian May, John Deacon, and Roger Taylor (no relation, obviously).
Old 12-03-14, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If we're going by the thread title, the only correct answer so far is the Wilburys. In all other examples (including my own) they haven't enjoyed "equal" acclaim. Even Ringo hasn't enjoyed the same level of acclaim as the other three Beatles.
Old 12-03-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
If we're going by the thread title, the only correct answer so far is the Wilburys. In all other examples (including my own) they haven't enjoyed "equal" acclaim. Even Ringo hasn't enjoyed the same level of acclaim as the other three Beatles.
But even the Wilburys had Lynne. But otherwise I agree. Even in these "supergroups" the acclaim is not equal. In most cases not even close. Knowing their name is not the same as equal acclaim.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 12-03-14 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

No love for the Eagles?
Old 12-03-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Actually, in the thread title, he said "more or less equally well known", which to me says as long as most people can name every member of the band, they qualify. But, yes, "acclaim" is another story, and probably a term whose definition varies from one person to the next.
Old 12-03-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Actually, in the thread title, he said "more or less equally well known", which to me says as long as most people can name every member of the band, they qualify. But, yes, "acclaim" is another story, and probably a term whose definition varies from one person to the next.
But I can name pretty much every member of every band I listen to. Acclaim is far more than just name recognition.
Old 12-03-14, 09:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The Proclaimers
Old 12-03-14, 10:01 PM

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Spinal Tap
Old 12-03-14, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Yes, I was referring to the acclaim piece. I would argue for Jeff Lynne, but I can appreciate the thought that he is a rung below the others.
Old 12-03-14, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

ZZ Top
Old 12-03-14, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Fleetwood Mac is 80% there. Poor John McVie.
Old 12-04-14, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No love for the Eagles?
There's a bunch of dudes in here.
Old 12-04-14, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No love for the Eagles?
Doesn't fit the criteria. Only Henley, Frey and Walsh are really well known and have received more 'acclaim' over the years than Leadon, Meisner, Felder and Schmit.

How about One Direction? Although Harry may receive a little more attention than the others.

What about The Monkees?
Old 12-04-14, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Van Halen
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Early 70s YES
Genesis
Rolling Stones
Deep Purple through House of Blue Light
Black Sabbath- original 3 + Ozzy or Dio
If you're old enough Jefferson Airplane

If I understand what were looking for, I'd say any band where the term "original line-up" is highly relevant to people, or a particular secondary lineup.

Last edited by rw2516; 12-04-14 at 06:30 AM.
Old 12-04-14, 06:33 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
But even the Wilburys had Lynne. But otherwise I agree. Even in these "supergroups" the acclaim is not equal. In most cases not even close. Knowing their name is not the same as equal acclaim.
I knew far more of Jeff Lynne's work, through ELO, then I did either Tom Petty or Roy Orbison's or, for that matter, Bob Dylan's!

That may be because of my age, or what side of The Pond I live, or simply my musical taste. But I'd certainly heard of all of them (incl George, of course) and knew that each had a considerable body of work.

If I'd been pressed, at the time, I'd've put Tom Petty down as the "least well-known"!
Old 12-04-14, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Franchot
Spinal Tap
The drummers though?
Old 12-04-14, 06:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
But I can name pretty much every member of every band I listen to. Acclaim is far more than just name recognition.
I can name all the members of one band, The Beatles.

There are albums by other bands I've listened to a thousand times, and I can name maybe one member. Names just aren't my thing. I like the sound, I listen and enjoy; beyond that
Old 12-04-14, 07:36 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Bell, Biv, Devoe

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.