DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acclaim (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/623900-bands-where-all-members-more-less-equally-well-known-receive-equal-acclaim.html)

Hazel Motes 12-03-14 05:40 PM

Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acclaim

The Beatles- George Harrison, John Lennon, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney (Even though Ringo didn't possess much talent as a songwriter, he's still as well known and well regarded as the rest)

Metallica- James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Dave Mustaine, Cliff Burton

KISS- Gene Simmons, Peter Criss, Paul Stanley, Ace Frehley

inri222 12-03-14 05:59 PM

Re: Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acc

Rush
The Who

cungar 12-03-14 07:01 PM

Re: Bands where all members are more or less equally well known and receive equal acc

The Band - Though Robbie has his detractors
The Police
Cream - Nah Ginger's an ass

auto 12-03-14 07:27 PM

r.e.m.

van der graaf 12-03-14 07:28 PM

Led Zeppelin

KISS ? :lol:

wendersfan 12-03-14 07:40 PM

The Traveling Wilburys. ;)

tommyp007 12-03-14 08:01 PM

Not a "Band", but I'll go with New Edition

Ricky Bell
Michael Bivins
Bobby Brown
Ronnie DeVoe
Johnny Gill
Ralph Tresvant

The Infidel 12-03-14 08:42 PM

Duran Duran's members were all pretty well-known. I wasn't even the biggest fan, but I can still name all of Simon LeBon, Nick Rhodes, Andy Taylor, Roger Taylor, and John Taylor.

Speaking of Taylors, Queen is another one. Freddie Mercury, Brian May, John Deacon, and Roger Taylor (no relation, obviously).

auto 12-03-14 08:51 PM

If we're going by the thread title, the only correct answer so far is the Wilburys. In all other examples (including my own) they haven't enjoyed "equal" acclaim. Even Ringo hasn't enjoyed the same level of acclaim as the other three Beatles.

hdnmickey 12-03-14 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 12322946)
If we're going by the thread title, the only correct answer so far is the Wilburys. In all other examples (including my own) they haven't enjoyed "equal" acclaim. Even Ringo hasn't enjoyed the same level of acclaim as the other three Beatles.

But even the Wilburys had Lynne. But otherwise I agree. Even in these "supergroups" the acclaim is not equal. In most cases not even close. Knowing their name is not the same as equal acclaim.

Michael Corvin 12-03-14 09:23 PM

No love for the Eagles?

The Infidel 12-03-14 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 12322946)

Actually, in the thread title, he said "more or less equally well known", which to me says as long as most people can name every member of the band, they qualify. But, yes, "acclaim" is another story, and probably a term whose definition varies from one person to the next.

hdnmickey 12-03-14 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 12322999)
Actually, in the thread title, he said "more or less equally well known", which to me says as long as most people can name every member of the band, they qualify. But, yes, "acclaim" is another story, and probably a term whose definition varies from one person to the next.

But I can name pretty much every member of every band I listen to. Acclaim is far more than just name recognition.

Groucho 12-03-14 09:40 PM

The Proclaimers

Franchot 12-03-14 10:01 PM

Spinal Tap

auto 12-03-14 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 12322999)

Yes, I was referring to the acclaim piece. I would argue for Jeff Lynne, but I can appreciate the thought that he is a rung below the others.

The Cow 12-03-14 10:27 PM

ZZ Top

Decker 12-03-14 10:46 PM

Fleetwood Mac is 80% there. Poor John McVie.

Mondo Kane 12-04-14 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 12322983)
No love for the Eagles?

There's a bunch of dudes in here.

windom 12-04-14 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 12322983)
No love for the Eagles?

Doesn't fit the criteria. Only Henley, Frey and Walsh are really well known and have received more 'acclaim' over the years than Leadon, Meisner, Felder and Schmit.

How about One Direction? Although Harry may receive a little more attention than the others.

What about The Monkees?

rw2516 12-04-14 06:11 AM

Van Halen
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Early 70s YES
Genesis
Rolling Stones
Deep Purple through House of Blue Light
Black Sabbath- original 3 + Ozzy or Dio
If you're old enough Jefferson Airplane

If I understand what were looking for, I'd say any band where the term "original line-up" is highly relevant to people, or a particular secondary lineup.

benedict 12-04-14 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12322971)
But even the Wilburys had Lynne. But otherwise I agree. Even in these "supergroups" the acclaim is not equal. In most cases not even close. Knowing their name is not the same as equal acclaim.

I knew far more of Jeff Lynne's work, through ELO, then I did either Tom Petty or Roy Orbison's or, for that matter, Bob Dylan's!

That may be because of my age, or what side of The Pond I live, or simply my musical taste. But I'd certainly heard of all of them (incl George, of course) and knew that each had a considerable body of work.

If I'd been pressed, at the time, I'd've put Tom Petty down as the "least well-known"!

ytrez 12-04-14 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Franchot (Post 12323030)
Spinal Tap

The drummers though?

Trevor 12-04-14 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by hdnmickey (Post 12323001)
But I can name pretty much every member of every band I listen to. Acclaim is far more than just name recognition.

I can name all the members of one band, The Beatles.

There are albums by other bands I've listened to a thousand times, and I can name maybe one member. Names just aren't my thing. I like the sound, I listen and enjoy; beyond that :shrug:

bralph 12-04-14 07:36 AM

Bell, Biv, Devoe