Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Coldplay -- "Ghost Stories" -- May 20, 2014

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Coldplay -- "Ghost Stories" -- May 20, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 08:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Coldplay -- "Ghost Stories" -- May 20, 2014

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Ghost Story is the best song and that is the extra on the Target Exclusive.

I liked Vida and Mylo but not that his album.

Where are the anthems and the melodies in the new album?

A Sky Full of Stars might have weak lyrics but it is better than most of the songs on the album.

Maybe if Martin was still with Gwyneth the album would have been better and he would have not have written so many slow boring songs.

At least now I can watch their NBC concert after hearing all of the songs.
yeah, my friend and I concluded that fact while listening to this in the car this afternoon - how ironic
Old 06-05-14, 03:05 PM
RIP

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Gave it a few listens. Lyrically, it's ridiculously bad. Musically, it's decent. But it's boring as fuck. I mean, if you have insomnia, pop this bad boy in and find instant relief. Loved their first two albums. X&Y was a bloated mess with some decent tracks. Viva la Vida was great, and Mylo was decent. But this is a boring ass piece of fuck meat.
Old 06-05-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,364 Likes on 4,355 Posts

First Coldplay album I've ever skipped. I didn't like the first two singles at all.
Old 06-05-14, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts

Something tells me this album's concept is inspired by (ripped off from) Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused To Sing which released early 2013.

I'm sure Wilson wasn't the first to do an album where each song was about some kind of supernatural story, but the proximity of the two makes me suspicious. Plus, they ripped off Joe Satriani - they're known offenders!
Old 06-05-14, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Gave it a few listens. Lyrically, it's ridiculously bad. Musically, it's decent. But it's boring as fuck. I mean, if you have insomnia, pop this bad boy in and find instant relief. Loved their first two albums. X&Y was a bloated mess with some decent tracks. Viva la Vida was great, and Mylo was decent. But this is a boring ass piece of fuck meat.

--- can I quote you on my blog? that's by far the funniest but true statement of the album bar none.
Old 06-06-14, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 749 Likes on 612 Posts

I was looking forward to this and the last Depeche Mode album and both were disappointments.

I hope the same does not happen when U2 releases their next album whenever that comes out.
Old 06-06-14, 09:39 AM
RIP

Originally Posted by Giles
--- can I quote you on my blog? that's by far the funniest but true statement of the album bar none.
Of course!

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I was looking forward to this and the last Depeche Mode album and both were disappointments.

I hope the same does not happen when U2 releases their next album whenever that comes out.
The last Depeche Mode was light years better than this garbage. And the last U2 single was ridiculously good, especially compared to Coldsore's latest Paltrow yearning, ball throbbing wankfest.
Old 06-06-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good but long article on Coldplay and the artists they seemingly rip-off.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmess...d-be-grateful/
Old 06-08-14, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Good but long article on Coldplay and the artists they seemingly rip-off.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nickmess...d-be-grateful/
So they are the Apple of the music industry?

I still haven't listened in full to the new album, but some of the songs have grown on me. I will admit the lyrics are lacking since they mostly repeat nonsensical terms, but the music is layer, catchy and melodic. That's something I don't find in other bands.
Old 06-08-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
So they are the Apple of the music industry?

I still haven't listened in full to the new album, but some of the songs have grown on me. I will admit the lyrics are lacking since they mostly repeat nonsensical terms, but the music is layer, catchy and melodic. That's something I don't find in other bands.
Regarding the bolded, you should definitely check out Steven Wilson's solo work or Porcupine Tree if you haven't.
Old 07-20-14, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is not what I envisioned when I hear Sky Full of Stars

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VPRjCeoBqrI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-22-14, 09:56 AM

Is there anything more pretentious than having a "A Film By..." opening credit for the director before that sloppily shot, partially overexposed and unimaginitive music video?
It's not even the second-best extended-shot music video I've seen in the past month (OK Go, Weird Al) and I rarely watch music videos.
Old 07-22-14, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Magic. Lol
Old 07-22-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After being really non enthusiastic about this one, I finally got around to picking it up. I'm actually enjoying it, more than I thought I would.
Old 07-24-14, 11:35 AM
RIP

That video is a rancid slab of goat shit.
Old 07-24-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That video is a rancid slab of goat shit.

Yes I didn't think anything could make that song more wretched than just hearing it blasting at a Walmart but that video does just that.
Old 07-25-14, 11:46 AM
RIP

Amazing what this band has become. It's truly fucking sad.
Old 07-31-14, 07:43 AM
Banned

Midnight awesome
Old 07-31-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Old 07-31-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 10-27-14, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Coldplay concert that aired back in May on NBC will be released on DVD on Nov 24.

Filmed by Grammy-nominated director Paul Dugdale, the Ghost Stories Live 2014 film documents the band’s unique performance of the Ghost Stories album to a small handful of fans in March 2014, two months prior to the album’s release. Shot in a custom-built amphitheatre at Sony Studios, Los Angeles, the ground-breaking production sets the band’s performance against stunning 360-degree and overhead imagery.

Parts of the performance were first broadcast in May 2014 as a Coldplay TV Special by major broadcasters around the world, including NBC in the US and Sky Arts in the UK (where the film has already been nominated for Best Live Coverage at this year’s UK Music Video Awards). But Ghost Stories Live 2014 is the first time that the performance has been sequenced as originally conceived: a visual representation of the Ghost Stories album.

The release also contains an exclusive Ghost Stories live album, with audio recorded at the band’s rapturously-received shows in London, Sydney, Paris, Cologne, New York and Los Angeles between April and July 2014.

The package is completed by eight music videos from the Ghost Stories era, including two never-before-seen films for B-sides All Your Friends and Ghost Story plus the exclusive Extended Director’s Cut of the Magic video (with a brand new cameo from Peter Fonda).

Ghost Stories Live 2014 is Coldplay’s first DVD / Blu-ray release since the Grammy-nominated Live 2012 concert film.
http://www.coldplay.com/newsdetail.php?id=1741

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yoXLp4x8Sys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-27-14, 04:44 PM

I read recently someone's comment that Coldplay's last good song was 'The Scientist'
Old 10-27-14, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't really enjoyed a Coldplay cd since Parachutes, and really don't consider myself a fan. However, I believe I have listened to every album of theirs at least once or twice, so when I saw this CD in the New to the Library section at our local library, I grabbed it.

And... I really dig it!

Because I don't have great knowledge or recall of many of their previous albums, I'll just note some general observations.

* Yes, this album seems quite a more subdued than many of their previous albums. My main music interests are the slower side of jazz, electronica, etc., so I imagine this is the main thing drawing me to the album.

* The music seems very rich and carries considerable depth on my sound system. I think the harmonies and instrumental interplay are more interesting to listen to in these songs than some of their more pop/radio-friendly songs.

* My listening behavior is such that I barely pay attention to lyrics in most/all music. I see previous comments that the lyrics here are ridiculous. There are some lines that seem silly and draw me out of the music a bit, so probably have to agree. That said, I normally share no particular affinity to Martin's voice. In this case, with voice-as-instrument, I feel that it succeeds better than most Coldplay albums.

Conclusion: don't let this thread throw you off from giving it a good listen.
Old 10-27-14, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
I read recently someone's comment that Coldplay's last good song was 'The Scientist'
I think it was "Viva La Vita".

Man I hate that I keep hearing "A Sky Full of Stars" on the radio constantly. Each time I hear it, I hate it a little more. Wish I could consciously uncouple it from my memory.
Old 11-20-14, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blame Katy Perry

Ever wonder if there was something addictive stirred into Coldplay’s “Sky Full Of Stars“? That’s because there’s a dash of heartbreak, a pinch of EDM and a splash of Katy Perry in the mix. In a Beat x Beat webcast produced by Beats by Dre, Coldplay frontman Chris Martin explains how the song came to be and how it was built.

Martin said he was listening to Katy Perry when he was writing the album, explaining that her songs have a repetitive chord pattern with a sing-along melody over top. He stole that idea and used to for the track. He also got help from Avicii, who would inject it with the EDM feel he wanted — giving the whole song the sense of unity he saw at EDM shows.

“Every time I sing it, I’m like, yep, that’s how I want to live my life,” Martin said.
http://www.mtv.com/news/2001367/katy...full-of-stars/