Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

De La Soul at 25: Giving away their entire catalog for one day (TODAY 2/14/14)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-14, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

De La Soul Is Celebrating Their 25th Year By Giving Away Their Catalog For Free, For 25 Hours

In just over two weeks, De La Soul’s groundbreaking debut album, 3 Feet High And Rising turns 25 years old. The first time Heads heard Posdnous, Trugoy, and DJ Maseo has already turned a quarter century old, as has the shapeshifting production from Prince Paul, and all the colorful artwork, three-sided singles, and amazing videos that kicked off the D.A.I.S.Y. Age.

In the years that followed, De La has released five more albums with Tommy Boy Records, a one-off with Beyonce’s father (The Grind Date), a project with Nike, a self-proclaimed (and self-released) bootleg, and a spin-off that we can’t quite consider a De La LP.

Throughout that time, the trio from Long Island, New York has seemingly shunned going digital. While De La Soul has found plenty of success in the web era, through work with the Gorillaz, Twitter, and nonstop touring, the group and their former labels have never been big on releasing music and video content to places like Spotify, YouTube, and Pandora—with few exceptions.

In the most exciting sneak attack since Beyonce’s LP in December, De La announced, via Rolling Stone, that they’re giving away their entire catalog for 25 hours, beginning tomorrow at their WeAreDeLaSoul.com website (11 am to 12pm on Saturday).

This includes:

3 Feet High and Rising (1989)
De La Soul is Dead (1991)
Buhloone Mindstate (1993)
Stakes Is High (1996)
Art Official Intelligence: Mosaic Thump (2000)
AOI: Bionix (2001)
De La Mix Tape: Remixes, Rarities and Classics (2004)
The Grind Date (2004)
The Impossible: Mission TV Series – Pt. 1 (2006)
Are You In?: Nike+ Original Run (2009)

And possibly more?

This is probably a better Valentines Day gift than you’re giving or getting. What’s more, the group told RS that an EP is on the way, with three joints produced by Pete Rock, and three produced by DJ Premier.
http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2014/02/...-for-25-hours/

Get 'em here: http://www.wearedelasoul.com/

I love De La and this is pretty great of them. While I have just about everything listed above, I ripped those CDs during my early iPod years when storage capacity was low, so bit rates followed suit. This'll save me the bother of ripping them again.

Also: I feel old now.
Old 02-14-14, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: De La Soul at 25: Giving away their entire catalog for one day (TODAY 2/14/14)

Their first three albums are great, the rest not so much.
Old 02-14-14, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: De La Soul at 25: Giving away their entire catalog for one day (TODAY 2/14/14)

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Their first three albums are great, the rest not so much.
I dunno, even though the later albums did take a little dip in quality I still enjoy them all. Stakes is High are Grind Date were among some of my favorite hip-hop releases the year they were released. It's pretty awesome they are doing this.
Old 02-14-14, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I download all of them. De La Soul is part of my youth and part of a great era in hip hop.
Old 02-14-14, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Lost my copy of 3 Feet High and Rising, so I'll get all of them. That album now sounds like a children's album or something with the basic rhymes, but it's still fun.
Old 02-15-14, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

So awesome!
Old 02-15-14, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Not really a fan of their music, but that's a really cool thing to do.
Old 02-17-14, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Apparently they hit overload pretty quickly. I signed up on Friday, but didn't get my links until Sunday afternoon.
Old 02-17-14, 06:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got all of them. They were free, why wouldn't I?
Old 03-26-14, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

New mixtape out today over Dilla beats.

http://www.wearedelasoul.com
Old 05-14-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another 25th anniversary for De La, this time it's for the release of De La Soul Is Dead. They set up a couple of "memorials" in NYC, as well as an online one that you can sign:

http://www.delasoulisdead.com/

And they just put out an unreleased song from those sessions:

https://soundcloud.com/wearedelasoul...nreleased-1991
Old 05-16-16, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Saw De la Soul at Riot Fest last year, enjoyed their set quite a bit.
Old 02-27-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

De La's back catalog is finally going digital...

De La Soul's Early Albums To Hit Streaming Platforms, But Will Not Benefit Artists
February 26, 2019 - 5:31 pm by Jessica McKinney

"Your purchases will roughly go 90% Tommy Boy, 10% De La."

De La Soul's early albums are finally coming to streaming platforms. After a long and exhausting battle with their label Tommy Boy Records, the group announced the news on social media on Tuesday (Feb. 26).

While De La's music will soon be available to the masses, it will come at a hefty price. "Dear Fans, the music WILL be released digitally," the group– which is comprised of Posdnuos, Trugoy , and Mase– wrote. "After 30 years of good music and paying their debt to Hip Hop, De L Soul unfortunately will not taste the fruit of their labor. Your purchases will roughly go 90% Tommy Boy, 10% De La." In other words, Tommy Boy will be reaping the profit of De La Soul's digital sales.

The bittersweet announcement comes briefly after the group revealed that they were engaged in intense negotiations with Tommy Boy. "Dear fans…just got wind that Tommy Boy was not happy about our last post. Touché. We are not happy about releasing our catalog under such unbalanced, unfair terms," they wrote in a previous Instagram post.

It's unclear if the deal has been set in stone or when De La Soul's projects will hit streaming services at this time.
https://www.vibe.com/2019/02/de-la-s...digital-albums

'Bout time. While that is indeed a shitty deal for them, I wonder how much uncleared samples come into play, especially for their debut.
Old 08-08-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They just posted this on their FB page:

Well friends, after 30 years of profiting from our music and hard work... and after 7 long months of stalled negotiations, we are sad to say that we’ve been unable to reach an agreement and earn Tommy Boy’s respect for our music/legacy.

With some helpful consulting and long careful consideration, we’ve decided we will not do our 30+ years the disservice of settling on Tom Silverman’s terms.
Tommy Boy says they are “not in the business of giving artists back their Masters.” We realize, there is a process in reclaiming ownership but we do not trust Tommy Boy in this process after so many years of disappointment. Therefore, our catalog will not see the light of day by way of our involvement or consent. This means, if you see De La Soul music/albums available for streaming or purchase anywhere, BE AWARE, all parties involved WILL profit but De La Soul WILL NOT benefit or earn deservedly/fairly. We really tried. More details to come.

Nevertheless, our fans have/will keep our legacy alive!
We appreciate and ask for your continued support.
Onto new things, new music and more amazing respectful business relationships.
#dontpressplay
#respectourlegacy
#respecttheculture
#tommyboycottcontinues
I honestly didn't expect them to get their masters back, but I was hoping the negotiations would end in a better share of the royalties for them.
Old 02-13-23, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

De La Soul rapper David Jolicoeur, known as Trugoy the Dove, has died | CNN

David Jude Jolicoeur, better known under stage name Trugoy the Dove as one third of iconic rap trio De La Soul, has died.

The news was confirmed to CNN via Tony Ferguson, the music group’s publicist. Jolicoeur was 54 years old. Ferguson said Jolicoeur’s passing was “a huge loss” in a phone call to CNN. A cause of death was not provided.

Jolicoeur, a Brooklyn, NY native is widely considered to be one of the most influential hip-hop artists of the 1980s and 1990s to produce music in the genre that reflected a gentler tone.

Jolicoeur and De La Soul members Vincent Manson, known as Pasemaster Mase, and Kelvin Mercer, known as Posdnuos, formed the rap trio in 1988 after attending high school together in Amityville, New York.