Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The VINYL Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The VINYL Thread!

Originally Posted by kefrank
Doing a little research, I believe it would be possible to use a Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 with the U-turn Orbit to change speeds, so that you don't have to ever move the belt. It should work with any belt-driven turntable that uses a 120V AC synchronous motor, which the Orbit has I believe. While it might seem like an expensive upgrade just for convenience, it would also potentially improve pitch stability/reduce wow & flutter as it is providing quartz-locked speed control to the motor.
I had Pro-Ject Speedbox on my Music Hall. Well worth it. I definitely heard the difference.
Old 02-23-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I had Pro-Ject Speedbox on my Music Hall. Well worth it. I definitely heard the difference.
Yeah, I use the Speedbox with my Music Hall MMF-2.2 which is what made me wonder about a similar solution for the U-Turn Orbit. The key thing about the Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 that makes it applicable for a wider variety of tables including the Orbit is that one of the outputs is a standard two-prong outlet rather than a specific power adapter barrel type. Pretty cool.
Old 02-23-17, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

How much do those Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0's cost?
Old 02-23-17, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
How much do those Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0's cost?
Let me Amazon that for you

It's not cheap.
Old 02-23-17, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well $300 and I hear it works on a VPI Scout... compared to the ADS or SDS it's a bargain. But too much other stuff I am focused on right now. My KEF speakers were sold to a friend on Sunday. Maybe I will buy it in a few months and return to Amazon if I don't like it.
Old 02-23-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. That's a lot. I'll just train myself on being able to witch out the rubber band. I cannot justify $300 on the device - I could buy Supermallet a brand new Custom Orbit for that much money.
Old 02-23-17, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spun:

and:

Old 02-23-17, 10:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$300 is cheap for a speed controller. Not worth it if your turntable is also $300 though. Everything is relative with this hobby. On another forum I post on, some guy was raving about the $1,000 he spent on cables for his whole system, which currently runs on a $250 DAC. Total nonsense.
Old 02-25-17, 04:55 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-25-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
On a more positive note, The Warriors Waxworks vinyl release is great. The first disc is all the songs played on the radio station in the film, and the second disc is the score. Looking forward to The Thing when the repress orders get shipped.
Is your The Thing on preorder still? I ordered the Warriors and the Thing so I assumed they would ship together. I have not gotten my Warriors And sorry to hear your setup is at risk. It appears mine is now on hold.....
Old 02-25-17, 09:17 PM

OK time to play a little catch up. So I have decided I will go the uturn route. The biggest piece is that this sounds like the unit I will have forever, and that's what I want. The affordable best as I never intend to upgrade to a $1,500 unit. Ill start kinda small and upgrade as I go, but man, I really want that walnut.

Its gonna have to be on hold a bit though as I just got a call from my property manager that the house I have for rent, the water heater gave out. So until I know whats that gonna cost I don't want to spend anything.

Now here's the long part that I understand if you don't stick with me on.... But I got my Electric Gram Scale! Dan, I know you were interested and with this scale I had some fun! So I had learn how much grams this cartridge was. I leveled it with the platter (If the cartridge is too high, it'll read higher weight, too low and its a whole different weight - so having it flush with the platter is key). The weight was 3.0g. Not bad! But here is where it got fun.

At 3.0 it skipped horribly, so I tried it with a penny. 5.2g. Way too heavy and it skipped still. I had used a nickel before and that weight was 8.0g!! With this new cartridge, even at 8.0g, everything still skipped. Makes sense. Everything I learned says that itll skip if its heavy or too light. Meaning I had to find the sweet spot. This experiment is leading me to probably getting the best sound of of a crosley one might be able to get. I started by putting weights on the back of the tone arm in order to get to 0gs. I needed something measurable though so I ended with 0.03 grams after putting 26.6g on the back of the tone arm. With that I started putting coins on the cartridge (or counterweight to get to see what my cartridge responds too) I was able to try 0.5gs, 1.0gs, 1.5gs, 1.9gs, 2.1gs, all the way to 5.0gs. It skipped on all of them except, 4.0gs. Amazing. This is what my cartridge responds too. Some might argue this is too heavy, but if you are getting the sweet spot for it to play perfect with your cartridge, it cant be too heavy. Cartridges can range from .5gs - 10gs (apparently). At 4.0gs, nothing is skipping and really, the records almost sound too good. Instruments sound distinct. There's no distortion and I can hear things I never heard before. Suddenly this toy, sounds pretty damn good.

It can sound like a waste of time or useless to try to get a toy to sound good. But I live in a place with no internet and I like to solve problems. I would like to think I solved one.

Now gimme my fucking Uturn!
Old 03-01-17, 10:38 AM

Doesnt seem to be much interest in my Frankenstein but I forgot to say that I made a slip mat Walmart sells these great stiff foam pads that are 1/8" thick and just right to shape into the 9 inches that my platter takes up. I removed those rubber stoppers, placed 3 near the center (to even it out with the platter since their is a depression) and the mat works great. I think its a big factor to the improved sount. It was worth the 30 cents.

Anyone grabbing some of the George Harrison vinyls that came out for his Bday? I already have Cloud 9 which sounds great already, but I may get that exclusive All Things Must Pass.

Im really on the fence for The Doors Mono release coming this month...
Old 03-01-17, 10:48 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 841 Posts

I missed your previous update
Anyway... yeah... Crosley's tend to be heavier on the records in my own experience. I'm guessing the skipping is due to the quality of the stylus, but it's hard to say. For whatever reason, your stylus responds best to 4g, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for your records. They say record needles have a breaking-in period as well. If it was broken-in at a higher pressure, that might explain why 4g is your sweet spot. Not sure.

When I measured my UTurn, I want to say it was 1g of pressure... and it never skips. The tone arm practically floats when I move it. It was actually a little hard to get used to at first!

Seriously though, when you do eventually upgrade, you'll wonder why you waited so long.
Old 03-01-17, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
I missed your previous update
Anyway... yeah... Crosley's tend to be heavier on the records in my own experience. I'm guessing the skipping is due to the quality of the stylus, but it's hard to say. For whatever reason, your stylus responds best to 4g, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for your records. They say record needles have a breaking-in period as well. If it was broken-in at a higher pressure, that might explain why 4g is your sweet spot. Not sure.

When I measured my UTurn, I want to say it was 1g of pressure... and it never skips. The tone arm practically floats when I move it. It was actually a little hard to get used to at first!

Seriously though, when you do eventually upgrade, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

I noticed that about the U Turn and i'm naturally heavy handed. The arm really does float.
Old 03-02-17, 03:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Has anyone heard of FridayMusic.com? They sell a lot of remastered LP's that look & sound pretty good. I've purchased from them before a few times. They offer a 10% discount code for joining their mailing list which I have tried doing numerous times but was never sent the code. Been collecting their Billy Joel LP's & was looking to buy another but wanted to wait for a sale. I received an email last week advertising a sale for Black History Month so I went to check it out but unfortunately only albums by black artists were on sale. I decided to contact customer service last week & asked if they had any future plans on having sales for white artists lol. I mainly wanted to know why I never received the coupon code. Here is the reply I received today.

CoM Customer Service (Church of Merch // Customer Service)
Feb 28, 13:07 PST
Hello James,
Unfortunately we are unable to provide any coupon codes at this time
If you have any other questions or concerns let me know and I will do everything I can to help out.
We're going to go ahead and close this ticket out, but if you need to open it again simply give us another reply.
Thank you for your patience and have a great day.
-Leroi

Here is a snapshot of the offer:

I'm sure I'm not the only one they've done this to. How can they get away with doing shit like this?

Last edited by JZ1276; 03-02-17 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-02-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JZ1276
Has anyone heard of FridayMusic.com? They sell a lot of remastered LP's that look & sound pretty good. I've purchased from them before a few times. They offer a 10% discount code for joining their mailing list which I have tried doing numerous times but was never sent the code. Been collecting their Billy Joel LP's & was looking to buy another but wanted to wait for a sale. I received an email last week advertising a sale for Black History Month so I went to check it out but unfortunately only albums by black artists were on sale. I decided to contact customer service last week & asked if they had any future plans on having sales for white artists lol. I mainly wanted to know why I never received the coupon code. Here is the reply I received today.

CoM Customer Service (Church of Merch // Customer Service)
Feb 28, 13:07 PST
Hello James,
Unfortunately we are unable to provide any coupon codes at this time
If you have any other questions or concerns let me know and I will do everything I can to help out.
We're going to go ahead and close this ticket out, but if you need to open it again simply give us another reply.
Thank you for your patience and have a great day.
-Leroi

Here is a snapshot of the offer:

I'm sure I'm not the only one they've done this to. How can they get away with doing shit like this?

It's Black History Month. Duh.
Old 03-02-17, 04:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's Black History Month. Duh.

OK? And?
Old 03-02-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, I fucked up. I thought you were wondering why they had a sale just black artists. The problem was that you never got the 10% off coupon to begin with. My fault.
Old 03-02-17, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Hey, if any of you guys are into Paul Weller's early solo stuff, they just re-released his first 4 albums on vinyl (the original pressings were going for outrageous money), and they're good pressings, made in Germany, flat, quiet, great audio, etc. BUT, if you want them, get them now, because even these new pressings are limited, and they're not doing any more any time soon!
Old 03-02-17, 06:58 PM
Banned by request

God damn it Paul!
Old 03-02-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
God damn it Paul!

(mostly because my name is also Paul, so I read that directed towards me)

I only got his 1st and 3rd. Didn't really feel like I "needed" the others on vinyl - I have all the deluxe CD versions, which are hard to come by now.
Old 03-03-17, 01:51 AM
Banned by request

The only one I would consider is Wild Wood, but aren't these albums long? Are they on two discs?
Old 03-03-17, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope, single discs. Yeah, they squeezed a lot of grooves into the records.
Old 03-03-17, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by slop101

(mostly because my name is also Paul, so I read that directed towards me)

I only got his 1st and 3rd. Didn't really feel like I "needed" the others on vinyl - I have all the deluxe CD versions, which are hard to come by now.
Haha!! Thats my name too, I had to think WTF did I do... and how the fuck he know my name?
Old 03-03-17, 04:43 PM
Banned by request

I love you Pauls!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.