Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The all things METALLICA thread!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The all things METALLICA thread!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: The all things METALLICA thread!

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
BTW

New Album is being mixed...
Brought to you by the same guy who mixed Death Magnetic. I hope the new one is more listenable than the last one.
Old 06-14-16, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 186 Posts

James:

we're mixing it now so hopefully by Fall(September) it will out hitting peoples ears. We're super stocked about it, its been a long time coming. And you know this is what we do, we love playing and the next album is exactly what its suppose to be so, we are excited about it"
Old 06-17-16, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

FULL INTERVIEW https://mag.citizensofhumanity.com/b...6/lars-ulrich/

JO: First of all, I have to ask … 10th Metallica album is due this year?

LU: Yes, it is.

JO: Can you give us some insight about how it’s going to be, what it’s going to sound like?

LU: I don’t know if I have that kind of perspective yet, but I can tell you that it’s coming. Hopefully it’ll be out in the fall, and it definitely sounds like Metallica. It’s probably a little less frenetic than the last record. The last one Rick Rubin really encouraged us to for the first time be inspired by our past. It was the first time we sort of looked in the rearview mirror. This time around it’s a little bit of a different thing. We’re not working with Rick, we’re working with the engineer from the last record, who’s producing, Greg Fidelman. So there’s some of the same production elements at play, but we’re expanding a little bit on the sonics. It’s probably a bit more of a diverse record than the last one. It’s exciting, but I don’t have quite the perspective yet.

JO: Death Magnetic came out in 2008, so the gap between then and now is the longest in the band’s history. Has that hiatus given you a different perspective about how you approached this album? Has it been helpful to take a break?

LU: It’s funny you say that because when I think of the last six or eight years, the word “hiatus” is not that applicable in my view of it. Metallica’s busier than Metallica’s ever been. But we also have a different set of balances now in our lives, which is vital to keeping the band healthy. We prioritize our families and our kids. When we tour, we tour in two-week increments and we go home every two weeks. We found a new model for us, but we play probably two to three dozen gigs a year even in off years just to kind of keep the momentum going and keep ourselves connected and invested in the band.

I think what’s happened is our families and our domestic responsibilities are so important to us now, so we just have a new model. We’re sort of constantly doing something but never to the point of the needle going in the red, but Metallica really hasn’t sort of shut down since around 2005, and it’s a model that works for us. We never work at 110 percent to the point where we drive ourselves nuts, but are sort of constantly working at two-thirds, you know—when we make the record we’re writing and we’re recording, but we’re doing it incrementally. There’s always stuff going on. It’s the way we like it. It keeps us engaged.

JO: When you look at the music industry now, obviously it’s changed a lot in the last 35 years. Do you feel that it’s lost a little bit of the vibrance?
And so we’re going to put a record out this year, and you could argue that there’s two creative processes now. There’s the creative process of making the record, writing the songs and getting all that done, and the creative process of figuring out what the fuck to do with this record and how you get it out to people. There’s no “one way.” You know, do you want to leak it on YouTube, do you want to give it away, do you want to sell it. Whichever version … there’s no right or wrong way, it’s only what works for you.

There’s no boundaries to any of it, and that’s kind of an exciting thing, a new thing. I mean you sit there and look at Kanye and you go it’s kind of weirdly interesting, the thing that he’s doing where he’s making his music available and then taking it down two weeks later and putting it back a month later in a newer version. That’s kind of crazy. It’s almost like a public work in progress. That’s kind of cool. I’m not saying that’s what we’re going to do, but I admire it.
Old 07-08-16, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 07-28-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MASTER OF PUPPETS BOOK... Finally

Yes, it really does exist... Metallica: Back to the Front, the definitive story of Master of Puppets and the subsequent tour that followed its release, hits bookstores and online sellers on September 13, 2016!! A very special Collector’s Edition of the book will be available two weeks earlier on August 30, 2016 through Metallica.com and MoonriseMedia.net.

Two years in the making, we’re beyond excited to finally share it with you. To refresh your memories, we teamed up with acclaimed award winning author Matt Taylor (Jaws: Memories From Martha’s Vineyard) and you all jumped in to assist us in putting the pieces together by sending your photos, videos, stories and mementos. We hit the storage lockers, attics and basements to fill the book with hundreds of never-before-seen images pulled from our personal archives and have been involved every step of the way to bring you the complete story. The deluxe edition comes in a sleek case that includes a hardcover, clothbound, limited edition copy of the 276 page book and a portfolio containing a 1.25” x 1.25” piece of an original roadcase used to ship the band’s equipment to Denmark for the recording of the album and on the tour that followed its release.

Matt sat with us for exclusive, intensive interviews and we dug deep in our memory banks for stories, anecdotes, tidbits and tales from the studio, the road and beyond. A huge thanks to the people who were a part of our history at that time who sat with Matt, including record producer Flemming Rasmussen and the man who mixed it, Michael Wagener. Matt also tracked down the entire MOP road crew including John Marshall and members of the bands who toured with us, Anthrax and Armored Saint. Our booking agent, tour promoters and managers, Cliff Burnstein and Peter Mensch, all were overly generous with their time and recollections. Faith No More guitarist Jim Martin and drummer Mike Bordin and Diamond Head’s Brian Tatler spoke with Matt about their memories of those crazy times. Of course you, the fans who were at those shows gave us an amazing view of your memories and experiences. Finally, we’re honored that Cliff Burton’s dad Ray sat down for an extensive interview.

As we continue to celebrate 30 years of Master of Puppets, in honor of the release of the book we’ve teamed up with ESP Guitars to give Fifth Members a chance to win a very limited edition Master of Puppets guitar... read more about it here. Now you can customize Metallica.com with the new Master of Puppets skin. If you’re in the mood to hear some live music all eleven shows from the 2006 summer tour (those of you counting note that was the 20th anniversary of the release of the album!) featuring live performances of the entire album are now available on CD in the Met Store. Keep watching here and on social media for sneak peaks of the book, videos with us chatting about the making of and other fun and games as we’ll be celebrating all throughout August.

Oh, one more thing. We’re pretty sure that some of you will wonder about the re-mastered versions of Master of Puppets we told you were in the works. They still are! As we keep digging in the vaults, we’re finding more and more music and video so that we can bring you an even bigger, more comprehensive, no stone-unturned version of the album. As always this is the place for more info as we have it!

so most likely delayed to next year ... so new album this year then
Old 07-28-16, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

METALLICA: BACK TO THE FRONT - HARDCOVER BOOK

Metallica: Back to the Front tells the fully authorized story of the creation of Metallica’s third album, Master of Puppets, and its subsequent tour.
  • 276 page, hardcover, large format coffee table book
  • Features new and exclusive interviews with band members, important figures in the band’s history, and contributions from fans around the world
  • Includes hundreds of never-before-seen images from the band’s personal archives
  • Celebrate the 30th anniversary of Master of Puppets with this must have addition to any Metallica fan’s collection.

Written by critically acclaimed author Matt Taylor (Jaws: Memories from Martha’s Vineyard).

Foreword by James Hetfield – Afterword by Ray Burton

A random handful of lucky orders will receive their copy autographed by a member of the band!

https://metallica.com/store/books-ma...hardcover-book

"Guess what I have in my hand?... nope not that"

METALLICA: BACK TO THE FRONT - DELUXE EDITION

Exclusive to the Deluxe Edition:
  • Sleek display box featuring the Master of Puppets inspired Metallica: Back to the Front artwork
  • Includes not only the fully loaded book described above, but also your own piece of an original roadcase from the Master of Puppets tour!
  • The roadcase piece, an invaluable bit of Metallica memorabilia, comes in its own sophisticated display featuring “Damage, Inc.” artwork on the cover as well as “now and then” photographs of the band inside accented by embossed band signatures.
  • Get it first! Orders ship two weeks earlier than the standard book only edition.

Celebrate the 30th anniversary of Master of Puppets with this must have for any Metallica fan. Get your copy of this collector’s item while supplies last!

A random handful of lucky orders will receive their copy autographed by a member of the band!
Old 07-28-16, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

$40 isn't a bad price for the book.

The deluxe edition would be cool to have, but I don't know that a little chip of wood and four reproduction signatures are worth an extra $160.
Old 08-08-16, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

and PRE-ORDERED!

down to $21.15 (down from 31.xx)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-09-16, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
and PRE-ORDERED!

down to $21.15 (down from 31.xx)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That was quick. It's back up to $31.
Old 08-10-16, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We’re gearing up to step out of the studio and back onto the road next week and we can’t wait to be a part of opening weekend at the brand new U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. Thanks to you the show is sold out, but if you can’t be there in person we want to bring the music to you and we’ve teamed up with Pandora to do it! Next Saturday, August 20th our friends at Pandora will live stream the entire concert starting at approximately 9:00 PM local Central Time.

To celebrate the first rock concert at the brand new home of the Minnesota Vikings and the live stream, we only thought it would be fitting to give you a taste of what we’ve been listening to lately and have curated an exclusive mixtape featuring songs handpicked by all the members of the band. Tune in to Pandora.com/MetallicaLive to listen to a mix of favorites and new discoveries covering a number of different musical genres.

Log in to your Pandora account or create a new one for free if you live in the U.S., Australia or New Zealand. For those of you in the Metalli-family outside of those countries, we’ve tapped into the LiveMetallica.com team to bring you the live stream of the show. Come back here on August 20th and click here to listen.

See you next week in Minnesota!
Old 08-12-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Black album - 25 years ago today. I had just turned 18
Old 08-12-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Twenty-fiiiiiiiiiiii-vah!
Old 08-12-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS?
Black album - 25 years ago today. I had just turned 18
Well shit, I feel old....
Old 08-12-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Still love it today as much as 25 years ago.
Old 08-12-16, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This CD was my first "Midnight Madness" purchase my Freshman year in college. Good ol' Town and Campus Records. Ah, the good ol' days!
Old 08-12-16, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

The Black Album along with the two GNR Illusion albums made for an amazing year.
Old 08-15-16, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pablo LIVE From Metallica HQ This Thursday!
ROCK NEWS / AUGUST 15, 2016
Metallica Fans! Pablo will be broadcasting LIVE this Thursday from Metallica HQ in San Francisco! Tune in for exclusive interviews with the band as they rehearse one final time before Saturday’s sold out show at U.S. Bank Stadium.

http://www.93x.com/2016/08/15/pablo-...this-thursday/

this was posted, but got deleted later.
"Plus, we hear that the guys have a pretty cool announcement for us..."
so basically new album out this Friday
Old 08-18-16, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<iframe width="880" height="495" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Hhg90KY6CxU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The formative years of Metallica will be the focus of an upcoming four-part Spotify series titled Landmark – Metallica: The Early Years, which focuses on the legendary heavy-metal band's history from their 1981 formation through 1984's Ride the Lightning. The documentary, Spotify's first, premieres on the streaming service on August 18th.

Each chapter of The Early Years – Metal Militia, Metal Up Your Ass, Sophistication and Brutality, and Armageddon's Here – will feature exclusive interviews with James Hetfield, Kirk Hammett and Lars Ulrich plus rare archival footage, new animation by Anthony Schepperd and a themed companion playlist.

Chapter Two: Metal Up Your Ass sees the recruitment of Hammett as well as the making of the band's debut album. Chapter Three: Sophistication and Brutality revolves around the contributions of late bassist Cliff Burton, while Chapter Four: Armageddon's Here features Metallica's ascent from dive bars to packed stadiums.

All four chapters of Landmark – Metallica: The Early Years will be released simultaneously on August 18th.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-years-w434642
Old 08-18-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Whoa, I'm going to check out this series tonight. This is actually a really cool idea for Spotify, if this is successful for them, I could foresee more music documentaries, concerts, who knows what else. I already think I'm getting my money's worth, but if they start adding a bunch of video content to their streaming, I'd be thrilled!
Old 08-18-16, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Respect for Lars.

They just had to make it weird, didn't they?
Old 08-18-16, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, so I can only watch this on a Spotify mobile app, not on my PS3 Spotify app, for example? Well that's kind of dumb for a video series. I don't get it, am I old because I'd want to watch this on my TV instead of my cell phone?
Old 08-18-16, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first video from Metallica's upcoming album "Hardwired...To Self-Destruct" available everywhere on November 18.
Old 08-19-16, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 08-19-16, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I wonder how many times Metallica has sat down and told the how we got started story. I feel like I've heard it 100 times and know it beat by beat.
Old 08-19-16, 11:01 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974

Still love it today as much as 25 years ago.
Man getting old sucks.

In 91 it felt like a lifetime for 3 years in between Justice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.