Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What concert did you recently attend?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What concert did you recently attend?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-16, 02:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: What concert did you recently attend?

Billy baby!!

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvidmg.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fv648%2Fscott1598%2FBilly%2520Joel.mp4&title=">
Old 12-19-16, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts

Was front row last night for X and Chris Shifflet (Guitarist for the Foo Fighters)...I have seen X dozens of times and last night was one of the best...Exene ripped up her setlist and came across the stage to give it to me, got Billy's Pick right off his forehead and Chris talked to us before the show...

Old 12-19-16, 09:39 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Hi Chrisedge... what do you use for audio in your recordings? I record with the Sony RX100M2 with the attached ECM-XYST1M microphone and can't quite get the sound quality that I would like, mostly I think because the microphone, while not distorting, gets overdriven causing muffled audio overall especially in the vocals. I think this happens to me since I'm in the front row right in front of the speakers or subs. I'm not sure if there is a better solution that is able to get by security. I only record a couple songs from each show for fun, but wouldn't mind a little crisper audio.
Old 12-19-16, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Those are just with the Sony HX9V audio. Often I run separate mics/pre-amp and recorder, but I kinda took the night off from taping since my wife was with me, and I hadn't been to the Casbah before.

As an example, this was recorded with the entire separate audio setup.

Old 12-31-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

For her Christmas present, I got my wife tickets to the final show of the Lionel Ritchie residency at Planet Hollywood which was last night. He's an old showman and very comfortable playing his repertoire; he still puts on a great show, even if he looks disturbingly like Larry Holmes now. I mention it because for the final song, they video taped it to play tonight "Live" for Ryan Seacrest's Rocking New Year's Eve show. When you see Lionel play "All Night Long" tonight, that was my show from last night. Wu Tang Clan is playing the venue tonight. Rocking New Year's Eve is built on a bed of lies!
Old 12-31-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

There's always a disclaimer that says West Coast portions are pre-recorded.
Old 12-31-16, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Alright, deceptions, not lies.
Old 12-31-16, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

Patti Smith In Chicago. It was her 70th birthday and it was packed. She put on a real good show.
Old 01-08-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

So I went to a tribute band show the other night. Place was fuckin packed! I would not have thought so many people would pack a place, butts 2 nuts for tribute bands but they did.
First band on was Up The Irons ( https://www.facebook.com/UpTheIrons1SD/ ) which is fronted by a female singer. She was pretty damn good. They played all the more popular Maiden tunes and did a really good job at it.

Second was Memory Layne ( http://www.memorylayneband.com/ ) . Dude looks exactly like Layne Staley! It was kinda creepy. They did all the good stuff but added a few snoozers that I wasn't really into. Overall though these guys are damn good. Very impressed.

Main band was Damage Inc. ( http://www.damageinc.us/ ) These guys killed it. Whole floor turned into a mosh pit. They even did new stuff off Hardwired and honestly if I closed my eyes, I'd tell you I was at a Metallica show. It appears they also have Chumlee on guitar (HAHA) They played for an hour and a half while the first 2 bands played 45 minutes each.
Old 01-16-17, 07:42 PM
Political Exile

Udo Dirkschneider performed an entire set of Accept songs, supposedly the last time he'll play any of them again. I really enjoyed the show and the old school metal antics.

Old 01-17-17, 10:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Tom Chaplin (i.e, Keane) at Lincoln Theatre - fantastic set of new 'solo' songs with some classic Keane songs
Old 01-19-17, 08:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Plaid - at U Street Music Hall
Old 01-26-17, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adam Ant at the Wilbur in Boston.
Old 02-15-17, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Tesla at The Ryman last night. They were like a time machine, sounds exactly the same as ever.
Old 02-15-17, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
Tesla at The Ryman last night. They were like a time machine, sounds exactly the same as ever.
I saw them last Saturday night at Hobart Arena (a little local hockey arena), and had the same impression. Everything sounded good except for 'Edison's Medicine' which sounded a lot more smeared.
Old 02-15-17, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Adam Ant at the Wilbur in Boston.
Crap, I saw that back when it was announced, and was planning on going--then I totally forgot about it. Was it a good show?
Old 02-16-17, 12:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw Devildriver about a week ago at The Regent in L.A. They were good, but their set was a bit short. Barely on an hour. They had 4 bands on before them. Azreal was quite good, The Agonist was pretty good; better than when I saw them in November. Winds of Plague was kinda meh. Death Angel was lots of fun.
Old 02-19-17, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Beth Hart @ The Space at Westbury Theater
Old 02-20-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Crap, I saw that back when it was announced, and was planning on going--then I totally forgot about it. Was it a good show?
I really enjoyed it.

Having never seen him live before and really didn't know what to expect. I assumed probably a half-decent '80s throwback nostalgia type show, but the band far surpassed that by swapping the pop sound of a lot of his hits, for more of a faster, heavier almost punk style. They played the entire Kings Of The Wild Frontier album, followed by an hour and change of what Adam/Stuart called "his favorites."

On a more somber note, Tom Edwards, the lead guitarist and musical director for the tour, passed away the following afternoon at only 41 years old.
Old 02-20-17, 01:51 PM
Political Exile

Saw Overkill and Nile last Friday. Nile just announced that their lead singer Dallas Toler-Wade had left the band, apparently to spend more time with his kids and get away from the touring rut. The current lineup seemed to be having a lot of fun on stage, so it looks like they are making the best of it. I tried to record an Overkill song (just one song), but a club security guy decided to shut me down. My spot front and center is just too visible and seems to set the occasional security guy off, but at least I got a Nile song. I only record one or two songs for memories sake, but maybe it's not worth the trouble.

Old 02-25-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was 2 years ago, and I probably already posted a video, but here is the complete U2 concert I shot, and edited with 7 cameras and sync to 12 different audio tracks (This YT version only has one of the audio tracks, but there is a video with an example of each of the tracks on my channel)

Old 03-09-17, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
I really enjoyed it.

Having never seen him live before and really didn't know what to expect. I assumed probably a half-decent '80s throwback nostalgia type show, but the band far surpassed that by swapping the pop sound of a lot of his hits, for more of a faster, heavier almost punk style. They played the entire Kings Of The Wild Frontier album, followed by an hour and change of what Adam/Stuart called "his favorites."

On a more somber note, Tom Edwards, the lead guitarist and musical director for the tour, passed away the following afternoon at only 41 years old.
Sorry--forgot about this thread.

Sounds cool--Kings of the Wild Frontier is my favorite of his--would have liked to have seen that live. I liked his Friend or Foe solo album a lot too, but not much after that.

I did see that about the guitar player passing away. That's pretty young.
Old 04-02-17, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Martin Barre Band (Jethro Tull guitarist) in Rockport, MA.

Not really my era of music, but I went with a friend who is more of a fan of early 70's hard rock. I have to say I really enjoyed it. He's got a band of incredibly talented musicians, and he's one of (if not the) best technical guitar player I've ever seen.

First half of the show was acoustic, and after an intermission they went full electric. As somebody who was not too familiar with his back catalog, I was quite impressed.
Old 04-04-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Aretha Franklin at Mohegan Sun Arena (CT).

I went mostly because she's an icon, and I've never seen her live. I had low expectations (I heard she only plays a 60 minute set, and her voice isn't that great anymore). I was pleasantly surprised! She had a crack 25-piece band, she played all her hits, played for 1h40m, and she still sounded pretty good. Yes, she's lost some power at the top of her range, but her phrasing and pitch still just can't be beat. She was in a good mood - told some funny stories, called a few audibles that lengthened the set, and dedicated several songs to friends in the audience (including Clive Davis!!).

Really glad I went; she tours very rarely these days (this one-off was her first full concert since last summer).
Old 04-10-17, 08:46 AM
Political Exile

Saw Kreator and Obituary Friday at the House of Blues in Chicago. I won a Meet & Greet with Kreator which was scheduled in between Obituary and Kreator sets, but the House of Blues security didn't know what to do, claimed to have contacted Kreator's stage manager to get me, but no one came, so I missed it by the time they figured out what was going on. Luckily I was able to meet them after the show.

Last edited by PerryD; 04-10-17 at 12:06 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.