Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
14.12%
30.59%
41.18%
8.24%
3.53%
0%
2.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Homecoming (Watts, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Spider-man: Homecoming is great because they subtly did an 80's John Hughes movie disguising itself as a big-budget superhero film. I was so wrapped up in this thing, I did NOT see that big twist coming, and I should have. Nice surprise and gave the movie some real "weight" to it. We've rarely seen that in any of these Marvel or DC films.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 07-09-17 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-09-17, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is everyone ok with a 14-15 year old coming up with web shooters and web fluid?
Old 07-09-17, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
There is already a Thor 2.
I forgot about that. Do you think that's a good sign? And I really like MCU movies.
Old 07-09-17, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edstein
So is everyone ok with a 14-15 year old coming up with web shooters and web fluid?
It's established pretty early that he really is the smartest guy in the room, so yeah, I'm ok with it.
Old 07-09-17, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

I really enjoyed it -- a lot more than I thought I would. Lot of fun. Some great actors in small roles - loved seeing Donald Glover. Bokeem Woodbine, Michael Mando ("Nacho" in BCS) and Tony Revolori (from Grand Budapest Hotel) among others. Thought Michael Keaton was fantastic, and didn't see the big twist coming at all -- then it struck me how much better pretty much the same scenario worked here as opposed to in Amazing Spider-Man with Denis Leary.
Old 07-09-17, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Marisa Tomei is fucking hot in this.
No qualifier needed. She's been hot for over 25 years and is still hot.
Old 07-09-17, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Enjoyed it, didn't exactly love it but it was a lot of fun. Keeping Peter in high school turned out to be a great move, the inclusion of him dealing with just regular high school stuff worked really well for me, especially his friendship with Ned showing them act the way teenagers would if one of them was a superhero And it creates a different dynamic when you know it's a kid having to come up with the will to fight then a grown man or established hero. Keaton was great, and definitely one of the better nuanced villains in the MCU.

My main complaint is that the action was hard to follow at the end, especially in the dark. Couldn't tell what was going on with Vulture for a lot of it. Didn't like what they did with Flash, and prefer the normal Jock type. I wasn't a fan of Michelle, but with Feige basically saying that's not Mary Jane it makes me feel better.
Old 07-09-17, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Last I heard, 14-15-year-olds shoot a lot of fluid.
Old 07-09-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yup. Its been that way since 1962
Old 07-09-17, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Always Great to see Stan Lee...
Old 07-09-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

That car scene between Michael Keaton and Tom Holland - wow, just wow. Have ANY of these superhero movies given us anything that tense? Michael Keaton and the screenwriters deserve props for giving us the most "realistic" villain to date in a Marvel film. Keaton went all "Pacific Heights" in that scene.
Old 07-09-17, 11:45 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That car scene between Michael Keaton and Tom Holland - wow, just wow. Have ANY of these superhero movies given us anything that tense? Michael Keaton and the screenwriters deserve props for giving us the most "realistic" villain to date in a Marvel film. Keaton went all "Pacific Heights" in that scene.
yeah, he was stellar upon more reflection. just a down to earth gritty bad guy that you could root for. the car ride to the the Homecoming dance when he slowly discovers was great. i wonder if Spidey saving his life will affect any future revenge plans. i mean i know he ruined his life basically, but. and that last May moment was a great ender. i do wish she had a little more to do...
Old 07-09-17, 01:52 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've only watched Raimi's first Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 I passed on all the others because I lose interest pretty quickly. All the subsequent versions I have had zero interest in seeing. Homecoming on the other hand... with Spidey's debut in Civil War, damn, it's the most memorable part of that film.

Although not perfect, Homecoming was pretty damn fantastic. Loved the music/soundtrack especially the homage in the title sequence. Parker's home movie was hilarious, loved the tie-in. And Marisa Tomei (never noticed before) but she is smoking hot!

I like the fact that this was a slow burn, there isn't the typical overdone epic battle that leaves the entire city burning to the ground.

Personally, Homecoming is one of my top 3 favorite Marvel movies and I think that is largely due to the fact that Marvel is finally able to cross-over characters with competing studios. More of this is a good thing. As a viewer and casual super hero fan I hated the "walled-off garden" of each individual franchise. Going into a movie knowing you'll never see the guest appearance of same universe characters. Hopefully in the future this handshake can continue with other studios as well.
Old 07-09-17, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Caught it this morning and really enjoyed it. Loved Holland and Keaton in this. Finally, a "bad" (he wasn't really a villian in the traditional sense in that he was doing specific harm, but providing the tools for others to do as they would) guy with a motive that made sense. The car ride to the dance was quite excellent, Keaton turned on the menace instantly and effectively.

Only thing I didn't care for was the suit, way too Iron Man (of course it would be, considering who made it). I enjoyed Parker in his homemade suit more. It will be interesting to see where in the timeline the next movie will fall. They have his junior and senior year left and I'd like to see him develop while still in school. With the mid-credits scene It's seems safe to say that the seeds for a Sinister Six are being planted.
Old 07-09-17, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yup. Its been that way since 1962
Ok, just checking because the internet was up in arms years ago when the young girl in Jurassic Park knew a Unix computer operating system. Which was asking us to believe much less.

Back on topic, I also didn't care to much for MJ in this version, minor nitpick. Rest of the movie was very good.
Old 07-09-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I didn't get Stark's whole take away the keys to the car deal. Peter overextended himself and took matters into his own hands trying to do something good and gets punished for it. He does the same thing only this time he happens to catch the bad guy, causing all kinds of collateral damage but gets praised for it, presumably because innocents weren't hurt (besides whoever happened to be under the jet engine that fell).

I mean I understand the whole character arc where he pushed so hard to be famous as Spider man that he left school and everything else behind, and had to go rediscover it, it just seemed like there wasn't that much change between what he did "bad" and what he did "good." It's not like his selfishness or grandstanding endangered civilians.

Forget the web fluid, his friend is also some kind of computer genius that can hack into the Spider suit and turn off the failsafes, and also somehow smuggle in a lego Death Star into school and put it together there.
Old 07-09-17, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

GodDAMN if I didn't absolutely love this movie

They made a Spider-Man movie that truly honors the character while fitting him in the framework of the current Marvel Cinematic Universe. Everything felt perfectly realized, thrilling, and heartfelt.

Marvel has often been criticized for having "weak" villains. Michael Keaton's Vulture is not one of them. He was fantastic.

4.5 out of 5
Old 07-09-17, 06:49 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Marisa Tomei is fucking hot in this.
Last two words unnecessary.

Originally Posted by Decker
No qualifier needed. She's been hot for over 25 years and is still hot.
I've had a crush on her since My Cousin Vinny. And Seinfeld proved that she has a thing for short, funny bald guys.
Old 07-09-17, 06:50 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Oh, and great movie. Sony should realize that the Marvel people know how to do this shit, and they should give back all licenses to the Marvel characters. Except for the people who made Logan - they should re-make every X-Men movie.
Old 07-09-17, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I didn't get Stark's whole take away the keys to the car deal. Peter overextended himself and took matters into his own hands trying to do something good and gets punished for it. He does the same thing only this time he happens to catch the bad guy, causing all kinds of collateral damage but gets praised for it, presumably because innocents weren't hurt (besides whoever happened to be under the jet engine that fell).

I mean I understand the whole character arc where he pushed so hard to be famous as Spider man that he left school and everything else behind, and had to go rediscover it, it just seemed like there wasn't that much change between what he did "bad" and what he did "good." It's not like his selfishness or grandstanding endangered civilians.
I think Peter managing to avoid putting innocents at risk by downing the plane on the beach versus putting all those people at risk on the ferry was the main difference. Also, that Peter was able to do it himself and without the suit, given Stark's lecture about being nothing without the suit and Stark probably has the right to be extra mad with Peter hacking the suit and everything.

But I agree, the difference didn't seem significant and Peter could have messed up badly if that plane goes down in the middle of the city.
Old 07-09-17, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I liked the movie a lot, but I did have some issues with it. Peter is, as had been mentioned previously, missing that tragic backstory. In the comics it's what drove him. Here it isn't mentioned or even hinted at at all.

But other than that they got Peter/Spidey right. I'm not a big fan of making Aunt May a milf, but if they had to do that I'm good with Tomei being the milf.

I hated Flash and Michelle. They felt really out of place in a Spider-Man movie, and the lack of a big, physical bully really made it seem like someone else's Spider-Man as much as Stan Lee's. Peter had to learn how to deal with that bigger, stronger adversary in school in order to later on deal with bigger, stronger adversaries as Spider-Man. That's a lesson this Spidey never learns.

So while I have some significant reservations about the movie, I loved the tone, I loved Peter/Spidey, overall, and I loved Keaton as the Vulture. He really hit it out of the park!

I'd put this one just below the first two Raimi movies, and above the other three.
Old 07-09-17, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Oh, and great movie. Sony should realize that the Marvel people know how to do this shit, and they should give back all licenses to the Marvel characters. Except for the people who made Logan - they should re-make every X-Men movie.
Sony doesn't have any more Marvel Licenses, just Spidey and related characters. They used to have Ghost Rider, but that has already reverted.
Old 07-09-17, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Spider-Man: Homecoming (PG-13) - The world-famous web-crawler stars in his own teen comedy, and battles Marvel’s best “normal” villain to date

Tom Holland made quite an impression in his debut as Spider-Man during “Captain America: Civil War”. He was a burst of youthful energy going against the seasoned vets, and he practically stole every scene he was in. Now he has his first solo outing as part of the larger Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Spider-Man: Homecoming breaths fresh life into a genre that some fear is in danger of becoming a little stagnant.

The film opens just after the events of The Avengers (2012), and engineer Adrian Tooms’ salvage crew has been stopped from gathering alien tech scattered all over New York. Tooms (Michael Keaton) and his crew discover that some of the artifacts they’ve already collected can be combined with Earth tech to create hybrid weapons that they can sell to street level crooks and thugs. Tooms also builds himself a pretty nifty mechanical flying suit, reminiscent of a vulture, that he uses to hunt and steal alien and various advanced tech from Stark Industries and other sources.

Fast forward eight years, and we pick up with Peter Parker, whose Civil War adventure is recounted in an amusing video Peter has shot on his cell phone. Tony Stark AKA Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.), has allowed Peter to keep the Spidey suit Stark designed for him, and has instructed his assistant, Happy Hogan (Jon Favreau) to keep tabs on the fledgling superhero. Peter is trying to balance school and his relationships with his passion for street-level superheroing, and keep his nocturnal activities a secret from his guardian, Aunt May (an absolutely radiant Marisa Tomei).

His best friend, Ned, discovers Peter’s secret just as Spider-Man has an encounter with some of the hybrid tech during an ATM heist. Peter tries to convince Happy and Tony that the weaponry bears further investigation, but feels he is constantly ignored. In the meantime, Tooms’ and his crew discover Spider-Man’s interest in their operation, and try to stop the web-crawler.

For the most part, Homecoming is structured like an updated John Hughes teen comedy with superhero elements blended in to create a funny, unique and thrilling coming-of-age story for Peter Parker. He is NOT an experienced adult, but an enthusiastic, slightly naive and immature 15-year-old just wanting to do the right thing - but who also screws up. Just like we all do.

THANK YOU to director Jon Watts, writers John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein, and Marvel for NOT rehashing Spider-Man’s origin story. The story is interwoven with a ton of shout-outs both John Hughes movies and Marvel films going all the way back to Iron Man (2008). There’s also an amusing recurring cameo of Captain America that spoofs those lame videos they use to show in Phys-Ed, teen living, and detention.

Also, THANK YOU for the brilliant casting of Michael Keaton as Tooms, AKA Vulture. It’s refreshing to have a bad guy who comes from a place you actually can understand. He’s a blue collar Joe trying to earn a buck to take care of his family. No world-conquering demi-gods, insane robots, or exploding or metal-limbed super-soldiers here. Just a guy who used his engineering skills to create a hybrid weapons business.

Spider-Man: Homecoming is just fun, fun, fun, and everything you could want in a Spider-Man movie. It’s a terrific addition to the MCU line-up, and while it doesn’t reach the heights of humor that Guardians of the Galaxy (both VOLs) did, it IS actually funnier than Ant-Man. I am giving Spider-Man’s first solo MCU outing a 4 out of 5 lightsabers, and am looking forward to Web-head’s upcoming appearances in the next two Avengers films and Spidey’s promised sequel.

NOTES FOR PARENTS: Spider-Man: Homecoming is rated PG-13 for expected comic-book style action and violence, some crude comments, and a smattering of language. A bully substitutes the word “penis” for Peter’s name about three times. A** and sh** are used in various forms by different characters. A teen claims he’s “watching porn” to cover for the fact he is helping Spider-Man. A character utters an incomplete "What the f***?". A man is turned to ashes by a hybrid weapon. Civilians are put in harm’s way during incidents at the Washington Monument and a Staten Island ferry. The fights between Spider-Man and Vulture tend to be up close and personal.

MID/AFTER CREDIT SCENES: The mid-credit scene hints that some lesser-known “classic” Spider-Man villains could appear in the sequel. The after-credit scene, featuring one of the top-tier Avengers, is perhaps the funniest bit ever filmed for a Marvel movie.

SHARE this review with friends and family, and LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies!

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 07-10-17 at 08:10 AM.
Old 07-09-17, 07:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I liked the movie a lot, but I did have some issues with it. Peter is, as had been mentioned previously, missing that tragic backstory. In the comics it's what drove him. Here it isn't mentioned or even hinted at at all.

But other than that they got Peter/Spidey right. I'm not a big fan of making Aunt May a milf, but if they had to do that I'm good with Tomei being the milf.
I'm glad they didn't do backstory. Seen it, done that. This was a great, the right introduction of this version Spider-Man movie. We saw enough brooding from Tobey and Andrew. It was the first time I remember a Marvel movie that didn't have some tragedy for the hero. Perhaps in a sequel, but this was the way to do a fun movie...
Old 07-09-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I'm glad they didn't do backstory. Seen it, done that. This was a great, the right introduction of this version Spider-Man movie. We saw enough brooding from Tobey and Andrew. It was the first time I remember a Marvel movie that didn't have some tragedy for the hero. Perhaps in a sequel, but this was the way to do a fun movie...
I'm not talking about showing the backstory - I'm talking about that backstory still having an impact on him (and Aunt May). In this one it seems as if May has never been married and is a grown up party girl, and Peter doesn't seem to have a care in the world other than fitting in in high school. That tone is wrong for Spider-Man.

The death of Uncle Ben shapes Peter (creating his sense of responsibility) and devastates Aunt May. It is a life altering event for both of them - but not here. That just feels wrong.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.