Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.00%
32.00%
38.00%
9.00%
9.00%
1.00%
0%
0%
1.00%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 08:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

So who is this "Adam" Ayesha was creating?
Old 05-10-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So who is this "Adam" Ayesha was creating?
Adam Warlock

https://marvel.com/universe/Warlock,_Adam
Old 05-12-17, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Saw it today and liked it, but the first is definitely better. I agree with the sentiment that alot of the movie felt forced, whether it was the humor or emotion.
Old 05-13-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rewatched Guardians 1 a few hours before watching Guardians 2 last night. I loved both movies. IMAX 3D is without question the best way to watch this movie.
Old 05-13-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Just got back and thought it was a blast. The opening battle was a blast. Kurt Russell was the highlight for me. He reigned supreme in every scene he was in. The de-aging stuff was amazing. I liked that it seemed like a smaller story at the same time as being on a grander scale.

I'd give this a slight edge to the first film(which I loved) if only due to the MCU connections. I just don't give a shit about Thanos and Infinity stones and tying everything together. I don't mind a cameo here or a character there but I prefer my storylines kept separate. Probably the reason I enjoy the X-Men films to the MCU stuff.

So despite liking it a tad more, it did fall short in a couple of areas:
#1 Awesome Mix 2- I love classic rock but the selection here just couldn't match the first.
#2 Pop culture - I LOVE and am a HUGE Pac-Man fan, but that was cheesy as fuck. The Hasselhoff nods are one thing, but to put him in the climax of the movie? That's going to be extremely dated in no time. I did enjoy the Cheers references though... because that's all they are references. Sam and Diane didn't show up in the movie's biggest moment.
#3 Drax laughing... talk about overkill. He was stoic and serious in the first which made him laughing actually funny. Dude was fucking cracking up in every scene in this one.

Lastly, I spent the entire movie looking for Michael Rosenbaum. Needless to say I didn't catch him and had to google it a few minutes ago.
Old 05-13-17, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

That Cliffhanger reunion at the beginning of the movie was pretty cool. Fun movie overall, but with the constant jokes, I half expected Yondu to wake up during the funeral.
Old 05-13-17, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

I don't see how Pacman and Hasselhoff are going to be dated, those are already old references as far as pop culture goes. Same goes for the Zune reference, though that will probably be lost to time soon.
Old 05-14-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Oh boy...was this GREAT!!! I can't remember the last time I had so much fun at the movies. This would be one I would see again in the theater and I rarely do it. So rare that I believe that last time was the first Spide-Man movie the Rami one. Loved every minute of it. The de-aging stuff was amazing as several pointed out. The first part in the car was a little off but then it was perfect.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
That Cliffhanger reunion at the beginning of the movie was pretty cool. Fun movie overall, but with the constant jokes, I half expected Yondu to wake up during the funeral.
Same here I expected him to yell hey this is hot or something like that. This movie really hit a home run. I only liked the first one but with Kurt Russell in this it made it a must see for me and I am so glad I did. Most likely I will see it again in a week or so. Didn't think Baby Groot was overused at all. It was the perfect amount. This is on par (IMHO) with Lethal Weapon 2 or Spider-Man 2 (Rami) where a sequel is better than the original.
Old 05-14-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't see how Pacman and Hasselhoff are going to be dated, those are already old references as far as pop culture goes. Same goes for the Zune reference, though that will probably be lost to time soon.
Kinda. I mean Peter's life on Earth ended in the 80s, so I get they are dated to begin with, but both come off as corny as hell. So maybe 'dated' is the wrong word. I just have a strong feeling that both the Pac-Man & Hoff cameos will age poorly with the film with future viewings.

Good call on the Zune. Hell that reference was probably already missed by many.
Old 05-14-17, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I read a post today from James Gunn and he said Volume 3 won't happen until after Avengers 3 and 4, which already feature the Guardians.

So we're probably looking at at least 4 years for another solo Guardians movie possibly.
Old 05-14-17, 08:59 PM

That sucks. I hope that changes, but they'll do in Infinity War until then, if they have decent roles that is...
Old 05-14-17, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I really liked the Pac Man thing, especially since Peter mentions the character earlier on and it kind of makes sense in the scheme of the fight. I didn't like the Hasselhoff cameo though, I think that is something that will feel silly and probably should have been something done earlier in the movie rather then during the climax.
Old 05-14-17, 09:15 PM

Eh, I liked both. It made sense for Quill character and he mentioned both. Didn't bother me. It was funny...
Old 05-14-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I read a post today from James Gunn and he said Volume 3 won't happen until after Avengers 3 and 4, which already feature the Guardians.

So we're probably looking at at least 4 years for another solo Guardians movie possibly.
That sucks. I hope that changes, but they'll do in Infinity War until then, if they have decent roles that is...
This was pretty obvious though. And no reason to think it will change given they're filming Infinity War right now and back to back with the following Avengers movie.
Old 05-15-17, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Saw it on Saturday night in a packed house and it was outstanding. I'd say it is in my top 3 of most liked movies of all time right now.
Old 05-15-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Eh, I liked both. It made sense for Quill character and he mentioned both. Didn't bother me. It was funny...
Didn't bother me at all, as they specifically had lines calling out that Peter used the Hoff as a stand-in father figure in stories when he was younger.

What bothered me was that it was current Hoff - it should have been the Night Rider-era Hoff. Use the de-aging tech for that, too!
Old 05-15-17, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When Yondu asked Peter "is he cool?" (referring to Mary Poppins) and then said "I'm Mary Poppins, ya'll!"... that had me rolling. What a hilarious line.
Old 05-15-17, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I had the day off for my birthday and caught a Monday showing. I loved it. I thought they had the right balance of humor and balls to the wall action. I managed to avoid spoilers so it was a thrill to see that Russell's character was Ego the Living Planet. Fantastic Four is my favorite Marvel comic series and I remembered that they had a run in with Ego and how powerful he was.

The Ego effects were incredible seeing him morph into shapes. Yondu was one of my favorite characters in the original so I was thrilled to see him get a major role here. The sequence where he takes out the crew was one of my favorites. My only minor gripe was the joke of Groot constantly bringing back the wrong items got old for me.
Old 05-15-17, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Rob V
When Yondu asked Peter "is he cool?" (referring to Mary Poppins) and then said "I'm Mary Poppins, ya'll!"... that had me rolling. What a hilarious line.

I expected to see backlash over that line, but that one cracked me up. Probably my favorite in the movie. And yes, I get the irony in my criticism of the pop culture references.
Old 05-15-17, 08:54 PM

That was a great line and so glad I caught it...
Old 05-15-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

I liked the line so much that I bought this T-Shirt yesterday.

Old 05-16-17, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So despite liking it a tad more, it did fall short in a couple of areas:
#1 Awesome Mix 2- I love classic rock but the selection here just couldn't match the first.
#2 Pop culture - I LOVE and am a HUGE Pac-Man fan, but that was cheesy as fuck. The Hasselhoff nods are one thing, but to put him in the climax of the movie? That's going to be extremely dated in no time. I did enjoy the Cheers references though... because that's all they are references. Sam and Diane didn't show up in the movie's biggest moment.
#3 Drax laughing... talk about overkill. He was stoic and serious in the first which made him laughing actually funny. Dude was fucking cracking up in every scene in this one.
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Kinda. I mean Peter's life on Earth ended in the 80s, so I get they are dated to begin with, but both come off as corny as hell. So maybe 'dated' is the wrong word. I just have a strong feeling that both the Pac-Man & Hoff cameos will age poorly with the film with future viewings.

Good call on the Zune. Hell that reference was probably already missed by many.
I agree with most of what you said. The first movie's music seemed to flow naturally while this one seemed a little forced...along with a lot of the humor.

That Hasselhoff reference seemed like a cheap laugh taking away from the awesome and funny Kevin Bacon reference in the first one. I hate it when sequels copy the same jokes.

I disagree with you on Drax though. He was happy in this one. He was unhappy in the first movie. He found a new family and is thus giddy throughout Vol. 2. Hell, Drax stole the entire movie in my opinion. Peter was fantastic in the first one but all of his lines feel with a dull thud for the majority of this one.

Funny what you said about the Zune reference. I think I was the only person in the theater that got it since I only heard myself laugh out loud. The Pac-man reference was okay but a little too silly.

And I agree with everyone who said that Baby Groot was annoying. He was just too cute, if you know what I mean. He wasn't half as funny as I was expecting.

Big Thumbs up for Bradley Cooper and Michael Rooker. Both were standouts in this movie in my opinion.

This one did drag toward the end and I was getting a little tired of all the family drama. Mommy Drama. Daddy Drama. Sibling Drama. But the movie was a visual feast for the eyes. Some of the best 3D I have seen in several years and hard to believe it was a conversion (I saw it at a LieMax 3D). Thumbs also the the sound production. Awesome production values all around save for the weak story.

I gave the first one a 5 out of 5. We watched it the night before seeing the new one and it holds up great and the humor still hits. I would give this one a 3.5 out of 5. While good, it does drag and has several weaknesses the first one does not.

One question...in regards to gods in movies like this, American Gods, Clash Of The Titans, etc.: Why do gods want to look old? If they have ultimate power, why don't they make themselves super healthy and young and handsome? I wouldn't would rather be a young Ian McShane, young Kurt Russell, etc.

And the de-aging they did on Kurt Russell was fantastic by the way.
Old 05-16-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni

Where did you get that? I must have.
Old 05-16-17, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni

Originally Posted by Rob V
Where did you get that? I must have.
I would love to have the link as well.
Old 05-16-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd pick one up as well. That was probably my favorite line in the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.