DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/639856-guardians-galaxy-vol-2-gunn-2017-%97-spoiler-filled-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 04-25-17 03:13 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Might as well get this going for foreign release and reviews coming in...

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2" (Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Kurt Russell, Michael Rooker, Karen Gillan)

Release Date:
5/5/17

Rating:
PG-13 (for sequences of sci-fi action and violence, language, and brief suggestive content throughout.)

Running Time:
136m. (2h. 16m.)

Budget:
$175 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Set to the backdrop of 'Awesome Mixtape #2,' Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 continues the team's adventures as they traverse the outer reaches of the cosmos. The Guardians must fight to keep their newfound family together as they unravel the mysteries of Peter Quill's true parentage. Old foes become new allies and fan-favorite characters from the classic comics will come to our heroes' aid as the Marvel cinematic universe continues to expand. Written by Marvel Studios.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.5 (2,579 votes as of 4/25/17)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:51 Rotten:9 (85% as of 4/25/17)

Metacritic:
66 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 4/25/17)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...8/GotG%202.jpg

dex14 05-03-17 07:14 AM

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Still holding at 85% with Fresh: 111, Rotten: 19.

I'm excited to check this out tomorrow. I usually don't go for any IMAX or 3D stuff... but I won a pair of tickets (up to $30) so I figured I would make the most of that and go see this in the larger format for the experience.

TomOpus 05-03-17 08:42 AM

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Trying to decide if I want to do tomorrow night or Friday morning.

Deftones 05-03-17 02:09 PM

I will be seeing tomorrow night at 7:30 with a buddy. :up:

OldBoy 05-03-17 09:42 PM

Monday for me. Can't wait to have fun at a movie again...

story 05-03-17 09:49 PM

I'm watching the original with a group of friends on Friday night and we're catching a matinee on Saturday morning because we all have things to do later in the day. 15 or 16 or us, can't remember being at the movies with a group that big before.

TomOpus 05-04-17 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by story (Post 13065586)
I'm watching the original with a group of friends on Friday night and we're catching a matinee on Saturday morning because we all have things to do later in the day. 15 or 16 or us, can't remember being at the movies with a group that big before.

Going with reserved seating or getting there extra early so you can sit together. Hopefully you are doing the "first one there save 15 seats for everyone."

RoboDad 05-04-17 07:37 AM

Got tickets for tonight at 7:30 for my wife and me, and then going again on Saturday with a larger group. Can't wait!

fumanstan 05-04-17 09:52 AM

I'm going tomorrow afternoon for a team work event. Looking forward to it!

Obi-Wanma 05-04-17 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13065747)
Going with reserved seating or getting there extra early so you can sit together. Hopefully you are doing the "first one there save 15 seats for everyone."

If you're going with a group of 15, is it really important that everyone sits near each other? Once the show starts, you're not really going to see anyone except the person on either side of you until the movie is over.

TomOpus 05-04-17 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13065860)
If you're going with a group of 15, is it really important that everyone sits near each other? Once the show starts, you're not really going to see anyone except the person on either side of you until the movie is over.

I would figure the whole point of everyone going together would be to sit by one another. Otherwise save the hassle and just hit 2 shows with times close to each other and meet somewhere to eat afterwards.

Obi-Wanma 05-04-17 01:31 PM

I'm sure that would be preferred, but I don't see needing to break up into smaller groups as a deal killer, because like I said, no matter where you are sitting, you aren't really going to see most of those people until the show is over.

Even if you arrive early and chat for a while, you're still not going to be able to talk to someone 10 seats over from you.

james2025a 05-04-17 01:55 PM

Got my tickets for Saturday. A lot of friends in the UK have already seen it and a very mixed response. I think the people grumbling are the type that hate comic book movies in general though.

TomOpus 05-04-17 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13066030)
I'm sure that would be preferred, but I don't see needing to break up into smaller groups as a deal killer, because like I said, no matter where you are sitting, you aren't really going to see most of those people until the show is over.

Even if you arrive early and chat for a while, you're still not going to be able to talk to someone 10 seats over from you.

Personally, I wouldn't go with more than 5. The less, the better. Less hassle of coordinating arrival/departure times and where to sit. I had a friend who loved to sit on the aisle. Could never see a movie with him.

ViewAskewbian 05-04-17 06:30 PM

I'm probably going to be a minority but I got this at a press screening yesterday, rewatched the first today, and loved the second more. Loved the character development, the amped up action and, yup, baby Groot nearly steals the show but this has a lot of awesome Rocket moments! I want to go into more detail but will wait until most have seen it even if a spoiler thread.

But STAY for those credits...the one involving Groot is hilarious!

The Antipodean 05-04-17 06:38 PM

Reposted from the other thread (because movies DO open in other countries before the US sometimes ya know ;)

I liked it quite a lot but as others have pointed out it's lacking the novelty of the first. Some great moments - Drax, Yondu are highlights for me - but a few slow patches and another "throw as much exploding shit as we can in the air" climax. There are indeed 5 post movie scenes although they're spread out from just after the end to the last of the credits.

I'd give it a B+ right now - in my mind just to get where I'm coming from I think Age of Ultron was a better team building world expanding sequel imho.

ViewAskewbian 05-04-17 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Antipodean (Post 13066318)
Reposted from the other thread (because movies DO open in other countries before the US sometimes ya know ;)

I liked it quite a lot but as others have pointed out it's lacking the novelty of the first. Some great moments - Drax, Yondu are highlights for me - but a few slow patches and another "throw as much exploding shit as we can in the air" climax. There are indeed 5 post movie scenes although they're spread out from just after the end to the last of the credits.

I'd give it a B+ right now - in my mind just to get where I'm coming from I think Age of Ultron was a better team building world expanding sequel imho.

I really think Rocket is the MVP of this flick right down to the final shot of the movie. Yeah, Baby Groot has the cute factor...oh, and Mantis was hilarious!

stingermck 05-04-17 09:08 PM

Great flick, tons of fun, with some unexpected emotion at the end. And probably my favorite Stan cameo.

dex14 05-04-17 09:10 PM

This was a BLAST!

Draven 05-04-17 09:55 PM

Loved it - just a fun movie all around. And my god, a major motion picture featured Ego the Living Planet. What more can we ask for?

TomOpus 05-04-17 10:01 PM

Don't forget to vote in the poll. Looks like five have left comments but only one vote.

Obi-Wanma 05-05-17 12:06 AM

I loved this movie!

Deftones 05-05-17 12:15 AM

Holy shit was that fun. Sure, it wasn't as good as the first, but I felt the humor was so much better. I enjoyed the fuck out of it.

Mondo Kane 05-05-17 12:35 AM

Obviously not perfect, but MUCH better than the heavily-mixed WOM indicated. Glad I saw this with a big crowd. Will probably go back this weekend to see it in 3D.

raven56706 05-05-17 08:34 AM

where the end credits teasing infinity war or no?