Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Get Out (2017, W/D: Jordan Peele) S: Kaluuya, Williams, Whitford, Keener

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Get Out (2017, W/D: Jordan Peele) S: Kaluuya, Williams, Whitford, Keener

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Get Out (2017, W/D: Jordan Peele) S: Kaluuya, Williams, Whitford, Keener

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Strange. The showing I attended on Thursday evening only had 12 people and was in the theater's smallest room. I guess the sneak showings aren't the best gauge this time of year, and that's a good thing as this movie deserves success. Still, I would have liked to see this one with a crowd to see some reactions.
The Alamo Drafthouse Thursday Screening in San Francisco completely sold out.
Old 02-26-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Strange. The showing I attended on Thursday evening only had 12 people and was in the theater's smallest room. I guess the sneak showings aren't the best gauge this time of year, and that's a good thing as this movie deserves success. Still, I would have liked to see this one with a crowd to see some reactions.

I saw mine on Thursday at 8:45pm in one of the smallest theaters and it was about 75% full.
Old 02-26-17, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Despite the reviews being good for this I'm always skeptical on modern horror films. Particularly mainstream types. I remember big praise for The Babadook and It Follows too and not being overly impressed with either. The last mainstream horror film that got a lot of praise I liked was probably The Cabin in the Woods or The Conjuring.
Old 02-26-17, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
The Alamo Drafthouse Thursday Screening in San Francisco completely sold out.
I think the theater I chose may have had something to do with it. I went to one whose clientele is typically senior citizen Mon-Thurs in an affluent area of Daytona Beach. Also, there are quite a few other theaters in the area.
Old 02-26-17, 07:03 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

My 10:15am Sunday showing was pretty crowded. More than normal for that time of day.
Old 02-26-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the theater I chose may have had something to do with it. I went to one whose clientele is typically senior citizen Mon-Thurs in an affluent area of Daytona Beach. Also, there are quite a few other theaters in the area.
That will do it! My area has about 5 theaters in a 9 mile radius, which breaks up the Thursday Screening crowds.

The theater I went to for a 9:50p Screening last Thursday was about half full?
Old 02-27-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Beware that the only negative review on rottentomatoes supposedly has spoilers everywhere. I think I don't need to tell everyone who wrote it.
Old 02-27-17, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Despite the reviews being good for this I'm always skeptical on modern horror films. Particularly mainstream types. I remember big praise for The Babadook and It Follows too and not being overly impressed with either. The last mainstream horror film that got a lot of praise I liked was probably The Cabin in the Woods or The Conjuring.
I agree. The tendency of the day seems to be apportioning too much praise for horror movies that are pretty good but not outstanding (e.g., It Follows, Don't Breathe), and not enough word-of-mouth praise for genuinely good, scary horror movies (e.g., The Den, which, along with Insidious, might be the best horror film of the past 10 years, imo).
Old 02-27-17, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I agree. The tendency of the day seems to be apportioning too much praise for horror movies that are pretty good but not outstanding (e.g., It Follows, Don't Breathe), and not enough word-of-mouth praise for genuinely good, scary horror movies (e.g., The Den, which, along with Insidious, might be the best horror film of the past 10 years, imo).
My sense from some of the reviews on this is that it is being praised not so much for the scare factor, but rather for the clever, layered social commentary angle.
Old 02-27-17, 05:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB
Beware that the only negative review on rottentomatoes supposedly has spoilers everywhere. I think I don't need to tell everyone who wrote it.
Such a douche.
Old 02-27-17, 09:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Just saw this...wow! So good, so creepy, so witty. Peele nailed the direction and he wrote it too, no? Just a great sense of tension buildup, not knowing what the fuck is going on and just breathlessly waiting for the reveal. Everyone did great. Always loved Whitford. Keener got old. And Allison Williams was kinda pretty downed. The lead male was great as well as the TSA agent. That would have been Craig Robinson a few years ago. Really well done and is going to make a hell of a return. The actors were probably paid scale due to such a low budget, but do you think they get % of gross? That would be killer for all them.

Can't wait to see what Peele does next. I bet this was a passion project for him.

4 stars
Old 02-28-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I can't believe Adam Tyner would do that.
Old 02-28-17, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Why the hell is he still being used on RT, the guy is a troll
Old 02-28-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was in the bathroom after this got out two guys walked in and said "That was a good movie but it doesn't deserve a 99 on Rotten tomatoes". I honestly 100% agree with them. That tomato score is ridiculous and shows why I can't take RT seriously.

As for this movie I really enjoyed it. It has moments of humor and the plot moves at a pretty brisk pace. I don't know if it could really be classified as a horror movie though. There's horror elements but their pretty light and don't really come into play until the end. I also thought the movie was predictable. I knew what the twists were from watching the trailer and I pegged everything that was going to happen in the finale.

I thought Alison Williams totally stole the movie. She does everything the movie wants her to do incredibly well and it seems like she could be a much bigger star.

Overall I would give this a 4/5. I liked it and I dug it but I don't know if it's something that I'll have to watch again.
Old 02-28-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
When I was in the bathroom after this got out two guys walked in and said "That was a good movie but it doesn't deserve a 99 on Rotten tomatoes". I honestly 100% agree with them. That tomato score is ridiculous and shows why I can't take RT seriously.

As for this movie I really enjoyed it. It has moments of humor and the plot moves at a pretty brisk pace. I don't know if it could really be classified as a horror movie though. There's horror elements but their pretty light and don't really come into play until the end. I also thought the movie was predictable. I knew what the twists were from watching the trailer and I pegged everything that was going to happen in the finale.

I thought Alison Williams totally stole the movie. She does everything the movie wants her to do incredibly well and it seems like she could be a much bigger star.

Overall I would give this a 4/5. I liked it and I dug it but I don't know if it's something that I'll have to watch again.
To be fair, the rottentomatoes score is actually an 8.2 out of 10, roughly equal to the 4 out of 5 you gave it.

Read straight through, it more or less states there's a 99% chance you'd like it, and likely rate it roughly a 4.1 out of 5.
Old 02-28-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
To be fair, the rottentomatoes score is actually an 8.2 out of 10, roughly equal to the 4 out of 5 you gave it.

Read straight through, it more or less states there's a 99% chance you'd like it, and likely rate it roughly a 4.1 out of 5.
Yeah, I think people misunderstand that the high percentage of fresh tomatoes doesn't necessarily mean that critics absolutely loved the movie, since a mildly positive review will get as much of a fresh tomato as an extremely positive review.

So even if every single critic thought that the movie was just good and not great, it would still get a 100% fresh rating.
Old 02-28-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Yes, what you have to understand about rotten tomatoes is that it's not a score in the traditional sense. It takes every review and reduces them to good or bad. So if every critic in the world gave a movie a 7 out of 10, that would be a 100 rotten tomatoes score, as all the reviews say it's good.

It doesn't mean that it's the best movie ever, it means that there's a pretty good chance you'll like it.

EDIT: ^Beat me to it.
Old 02-28-17, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Right. If every critic gave a movie say a 3 out of 5, a movie could technically have a 100% where a movie with all 2.5 out of 5 ratings could have a 0%
Old 02-28-17, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I notice that hardly any movie ever uses its Metacritic score in previews, only RottenTomatoes %. A movie could score a 75-85% average on that site and have a RT score of over 90%.
Old 03-04-17, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this again last night. This time I took a friend of mine to see it, who seemed to enjoy it.
Old 03-10-17, 09:27 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Saw this last night and loved it. Creepy as all hell, but I couldn't help but laugh at some of it because it genuinely was funny at times. I loved the hypnotism stuff too. I just loved how the film played out. Sure, a lot of it was predictable, but it was well made thriller that deserves all its praise and box office.
Old 03-10-17, 09:36 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099

You can't take RT seriously? They don't review they just aggregate all the reviews. You are basically saying, "I don't take every single review seriously." Also remember, all it takes to get 99% is for everyone to give it a unanimous C+
Old 03-10-17, 10:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,185 Likes on 837 Posts

I had someone say, about a totally different movie mind you, "Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 95%"
Like, they literally have no idea how that stuff works...

Anyway... I saw this last night. I thought it was great. Loved the awkward conversations and the genuine creepiness of it all. As a horror movie, it was pretty by-the-numbers (no real surprises in the way it played out), but the well-played social commentary elevated it quite a bit.

I'm not sure it's one I'd re-watch many times, but I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone, except maybe my own mother
Old 03-12-17, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw it today and loved it. A modern horror classic.
Old 03-13-17, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Liked it. I want a sequel with Mexicans and White people.

Really thought Williams was Amanda Peet for most of the film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.