Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Don't Breathe (2016, Alvarez) S: Lang, Levy, Minnette

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Don't Breathe (2016, Alvarez) S: Lang, Levy, Minnette

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Don't Breathe (2016, Alvarez) S: Lang, Levy, Minnette

Heh, it made its production costs back on the first day of release.

Budget: $9.9 million
Friday Box Office: $10 million
Old 08-28-16, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Dude, do you have to start every single review of yours with "Saw it." I'm sorry but that's just irritating, you do it every time. We KNOW you saw it, you're giving your opinion about it.

Been doing it ever since I joined this forum back in the early 2k . It's a trademark and it ain't going nowhere. Sorry if it annoys, but I'm not getting rid of it.
Old 08-28-16, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Heh, it made its production costs back on the first day of release.

Budget: $9.9 million
Friday Box Office: $10 million
So now for the sequel question:

Spoiler:
Will the blind man be stalking Levy, or will another hapless bunch of idiots stumble into his home?
Old 08-28-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

My only question(s) about the movie is:

Spoiler:
Did he have someone else kidnap the young lady to impregnate her? Could he really count on someone else to keep their mouth shut? Also, wouldn't her family be out there looking for her and he be one of the first for the police to go snooping around on based on her having killed his daughter?

The movie was intense and we enjoyed it quite a bit. I really liked the Money shot.
Old 08-28-16, 06:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally do not like slasher type horror movies, For those that have seen it is it more suspense/thriller than slice and dice? Thnx
Old 08-28-16, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brtcmfn
I personally do not like slasher type horror movies, For those that have seen it is it more suspense/thriller than slice and dice? Thnx
More of a suspense/thriller.
Old 08-28-16, 08:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
More of a suspense/thriller.
Great- thank you-
The last one I saw was Krampus and because of the feedback here I did watch it and there was no gore and really enjoyed it.
Old 08-29-16, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

It's a well-made and efficient suspense machine, though it's one of those that spurs a lot of audience interaction, and it drew a larger crowd than I've seen in a while. I appreciated that the director didn't go for the usual laugh-lines or comic relief that often turns up in these things to take the edge off.
However,...
Spoiler:
The final scene bothered me because there was no time for the blind man to clean the crime scene and there's just no way in the real world that they'd just take his word for things. There was blood, semen, and his kidnap rig just for starts.
Old 08-29-16, 07:11 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

The end scene was really dumb and didn't add anything. It could have just ended when it cut to black.
Old 08-29-16, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Enjoyed the movie, but did have a few nitpicks:

Spoiler:
-When the boy and girl (sorry, I don't remember any of the characters names except Money) lock themselves in a room and then realize they can't escape because the windows are barred, yet once the dog gets into the room the boy falls through a window...
-The dog disappearing when the girl takes the dive in the air ducts. That dog was pretty fucking determined and I'm sure would have gone down right after her.
-They played up the guys heightened sense of smell at times like when he eventually smelled their shoes from another room, yet other times he didn't even notice anyones scent when walking right by them.
-And yeah, I'd be curious to know how a blind dude pulls off a kidnapping. And since he claims he intended on letting the girl go once she gave birth, how he intended to raise a baby on his own.

Last edited by Maxflier; 08-29-16 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-29-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

This was a fun, suspense-filled film. I understand many of the flaws that have already been pointed out. But I didn't find myself thinking about them during the movie.
Old 08-29-16, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

I dunno. I didn't really like this one so much. I didn't find any of the main characters to be very sympathetic. Hard to build tension when you don't care if anyone dies.

Also, most unrealistic thing about the movie? How quickly the Detroit cops show up at the end.
Old 08-31-16, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Definitely a flawed film but I loved it. Fun performances all around and the atmosphere that Alvarez built had me fidgeting in my seat the entire time.

Originally Posted by dex14
The end scene was really dumb and didn't add anything. It could have just ended when it cut to black.
Agree 100% on that.
Spoiler:
While it feels like it was there to give some sort of some closure on Rocky & her daughter moving out West, everything about it feels like it's way more exposition than this film needed. After being on a roller coaster ride for the 85-86 minutes.

Last edited by asianxcore; 08-31-16 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-31-16, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Also, most unrealistic thing about the movie? How quickly the Detroit cops show up at the end.
lol
Old 09-01-16, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
So now for the sequel question:

Spoiler:
Will the blind man be stalking Levy, or will another hapless bunch of idiots stumble into his home?
Originally Posted by dex14
I must have missed it, but apparently some of the TV spots showed

Spoiler:
The Blind Man walking (his back towards the camera) in the airport - clearly following Levy

Alvarez did an AMA on reddit and confirmed that it was cut from the final film because he didn't like it, and thus removed it.
Old 09-08-16, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I really liked this a lot but man does it have a lot of plot holes in it. Even by horror movie standards the plot holes are pretty bad. Still it's a pretty effective thriller with Levy(who should really be a bigger star) and Lang stealing the show. I would probably give it a 4/5.
Old 09-19-16, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Well, this is the film that pulled me back into the theater after years of not going - loved it - like another person mentioned already, I was too into the movie to notice the holes - don't really care though as it was a fun flick and I definitely didn't see the reveal coming.
Old 09-21-16, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw it this afternoon, and agree with the good reviews, but also the major plot holes in hindsight. But it was still a well made and gripping movie, that's for sure. So hopefully you can just enjoy the ride and not think too much about some issues with the plot.

Now, I'd like to know exactly what did I miss at the starting of the movie? What happened was, I had walked into the wrong theater, sat through the trailers, then suddenly 'Snowden' started. At first, I thought the projectionist had mixed up the movies(it happened when I saw It Follows last year, a Disney movie was put on in it's place, until it was corrected). So when I got into the theater, it was during a scene where
Spoiler:
the gang is basically talking about their plans for the heist, sitting at a table somewhere.
I'm sure I didn't miss much, but it's annoying to have missed the very beginning of a movie just like last time, since I was on time for it this time around. But it was a simple mistake since the two theater doors were right next to each other, and I thought I walked into #4 instead of #5.
Old 09-23-16, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Guess I'm in the minority. Thought this was pretty terrible and the glaring errors (falling through glass when no window was available, massive crime scene) were unforgivable and required too much suspension of belief. The ending was tacked on and forced. Too many horror cliches to count.
Old 11-09-16, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I finally got around to watching this and liked enough. Lang is the standout and badass. Dude is captivating as hell. I hated the Evil Dead remake but really liked this one and think Fede has a potential franchise. He can write/direct the prequel/sequel, because there is plenty to tell leftover.
Old 11-17-16, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Lang is awesome, Alvarez is a fine director, but this movie was very by-the-numbers.
Old 08-23-17, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Finally got around to watching this tonight on Starz. Maybe I expected more but honestly it didn't do much for me. I thought it was pretty much by the numbers and overall I found it pretty dumb. I felt like the characters had a couple decent chances to escape and it felt unrealistic for the blind guy to be able to just keep popping up at almost every turn. I get that he had his house pretty well memorized but still it seemed unrealistic. Also agree about not caring about any of the characters. The three had it coming to them by breaking into the guy's house and the guy himself was obviously a sick fuck too.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-23-17 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-25-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Three mentally challenged burglars try to rob a blind John Rambo. An 88 minute story that could have been told in half the time. Predictable and boring.

1/5
Old 11-25-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

The jizz in the face was predictable?
Old 04-09-18, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I really enjoyed this movie right up until the ending, which was ludicrous and contrived. But the filmmakers did a good job of creating tension and atmosphere and I thought the pacing was quite good. Solid all around.