Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's compare Batman V. Superman and Captain America: Civil War

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Let's compare Batman V. Superman and Captain America: Civil War

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,142 Likes on 696 Posts
Re: Let's compare Batman V. Superman and Captain America: Civil War

Watching Captain America on Friday night, Winter Soldier on Saturday and then Civil War today, the CA movies really should have been the tone that the last two Superman movies should have taken.

Colorful and fun with fantastic action sequences instead of drab & dull and watching people destroy buildings over and over.

It makes me sad because I love Superman.
Old 05-08-16, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
How's this for a comparison:

I went to a late afternoon showing on opening Friday ffor both movies.

Even though the reviews for BvS were negative, the theater was sold out and the crowd was energetic.

Civil War was half full, and there did not seem to be excitement at all.
You can't possibly use your single showing and extrapolate that for the entire country.

How's this for a comparison:

BvS opening $166M. CW opening $181M.

BvS Cinemascore B. CW Cinemascore A.

BvS Metacritic score 44. CW Metacritic score 75

So to conclude with actual data, Civil War made more money and was better liked by both the general public and critics.
Old 05-08-16, 05:50 PM

Received 41 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't seen either yet, but I'll compare the two by saying: I decided to not pay money to see something that did not appeal to me (BvS), but once I get the time, I'll be seeing one that appeals to me quite a bit (Civil War).

And Superman is my favorite character. I have a near-complete run of his comics from Crisis on Infinite Earths to Flashpoint. I'm not a DC hater. I can't wait to watch a Superman movie that has Superman in it. And I'd love it if Cavil actually gets to play "Superman" sometime. I think he'll be great.
Old 05-08-16, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
I think BvS had a big opening more from the general public - everyone alive knows who Batman and Superman are. I think CW leans a little more toward the Marvel fanboy crowd; it certainly requires you to have watched the previous movies for it to make a lick of sense. It'll do a hell of a lot better than BvS of course but at this point if a superhero movie doesn't break every record in the book there's always gonna be some pundits proclaiming "peak superhero fatigue." (Which is entirely likely to happen at some point, of course, nothing succeeds forever.)
I feel like Marvel movies are so mainstream now that we're way past any reliance on Marvel fanboy crowds. Civil War wouldn't be beating out Batman and Superman on an opening weekend if the movie going public wasn't well aware of the Marvel franchise now.
Old 05-09-16, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Obviously this thread will become a let's praise Civil War by bashing BvS thread, but I think BvS is the better of two very very mediocre movies.
Old 05-09-16, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

They're both flawed, I found CW much more entertaining than BvS though. Then again, I think I find naps more entertaining than BvS as well.
Old 05-09-16, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

funny how i found it more entertaining to see BVS. CIvil war was great but the ending let me down big time.
Old 05-09-16, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Obviously this thread will become a let's praise Civil War by bashing BvS thread, but I think BvS is the better of two very very mediocre movies.
You gave BvS 4 1/2 stars in the reviews thread, that's pretty darn good for what you're calling mediocre now
Old 05-09-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
You gave BvS 4 1/2 stars in the reviews thread, that's pretty darn good for what you're calling mediocre now
It was on a scale of 10 stars. Makes perfect sense in hindsight.
Old 05-09-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

I have yet to see BvS but I was blown away by CW. It was the culmination of what the MCU has been up until now. WB did nothing to make me want to see BvS however with the one trailer before CW they've got my interest with Suicide Squad. It looks fun and that something they never made BvS feel. It's not the characters it's how WB is presenting those characters that is the problem IMO.
Old 05-09-16, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts

This piece actually contains some of the best thoughtful analysis of the difference between two similar movies I've seen yet:

'Civil War' vs. 'Batman v Superman': What Marvel Is Getting Right
Old 05-10-16, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 402 Likes on 269 Posts

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 7/10

Captain America: Civil War 5/10
Old 05-10-16, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

number of drinks you have consumed: 10/10 and a shot of tequila
Old 05-10-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
This piece actually contains some of the best thoughtful analysis of the difference between two similar movies I've seen yet:

'Civil War' vs. 'Batman v Superman': What Marvel Is Getting Right
Damn good article, thanks for posting. I totally agree that Marvel just lets Cap be Cap, square or not, but Superman is dark dark dark.
Old 05-11-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 224 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I've seen several posts about why Civil War is good, and BvS isn't, but I haven't seen many going the other way. If you feel that BvS is better, please give us some examples.
Old 05-11-16, 11:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I've seen several posts about why Civil War is good, and BvS isn't, but I haven't seen many going the other way. If you feel that BvS is better, please give us some examples.
You might be waiting a while. In my opinion, I think it's just that some folks have to have a different opinion from a mainstream consensus opinion, just for the sake of being "different". Not directed towards anyone in particular in this thread, just an opinion of mine. I think it's fairly clear which one of these films is better than the other.
Old 05-11-16, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

I think its more a group of DC fanboys who just want to proclaim that Batman V Superman was better just because and any of us who didn't love it are just haters and Marvel fanboys. I like both companies personally but I just feel like Marvel is making better films currently.
Old 05-11-16, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

not a fan boy and i like bvs more. not alot more but give it the slight edge. just opinion.
Old 05-11-16, 11:48 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

having the difference of opinion is fine. but once attacks are hurled towards those with the opinions (and they have to in turn defend themselves), it sets off DVDTalk: Civil War
Old 05-11-16, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I enjoyed BvS more

Spoiler:

than been hit on the balls

Old 05-11-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,142 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
not a fan boy and i like bvs more. not alot more but give it the slight edge. just opinion.
But what's the reason(s)? I don't care if people like one more than the other but if one seems totally inferior, as BVS felt to me, then I would like to hear why someone liked it better.

I am not going to argue with your or their opinion but hearing why may at least let me look for something to like in BVS. Just saying you like something better and not giving any reason is not very informative.
Old 05-11-16, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
But what's the reason(s)? I don't care if people like one more than the other but if one seems totally inferior, as BVS felt to me, then I would like to hear why someone liked it better.

I am not going to argue with your or their opinion but hearing why may at least let me look for something to like in BVS. Just saying you like something better and not giving any reason is not very informative.
Entertainment value was probably higher for that person? I dunno. I fell asleep during BvS, and found Civil War somewhat entertaining.
Old 05-11-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

well if you look, i didnt get testy with anyone here.

but here are my reasons:

The build up: Alot of people didnt like this. It was too long and could have been trimmed. However, it answered the question for all those non comic book fans as to why those two were going to fight? i mean shit, i was asked everytime why both heroes are fighting each other. It had to make sense. I think they did a good job of explaining it.

The fight- Again, it showed how Batman could even stand a chance. It was somewhat realistic fight . God fighting man but again its a comic book movie. If it was really real, it would have ended in two second with Superman crushing batman. But this is what makes this comic a good one. Superman keeps trying to be a goody two shoes. It wasnt a super destruction fest like man of steel but again its 3 gods and a super hero fighting in modern times

The ending- They had the balls to "kill" superman. Yes we all know he isn't really dead but for storys sake, they did it. Plus it gives them the motivation to continue on. It shows that they need to find the other superheros because something bigger is coming.

Batman- Not sure if im the only one but Ben Affleck was a helleva Batman. I think he brings a fresh look. He gave that savy look to an iconic hero. Also the bad ass attitude was great.

The bad:

Didnt like Lex. They needed someone older for that role. Sure he was a mastermind indeed but i think if he were older, it would have looked better.

Wonder Woman- I liked her but she could have had more too her.

Lois- God she was fucking annoying.

Doomsday- Sure it was good to have him kill superman but i would have saved him for another movie.

As for Civil War

Good

Superhero battle- Loved the battle of the superheros. It was cool to see all of them fight each other. The little kid in me.

Humor- nothing wrong with alittle lively humor. Thats what i loved about Deadpool as it wasnt so serious but then again his character isnt haha.

Black Panther- He was badass. Didnt need much of his origin. I mean most dont need an origin because its almost a given who they are.

Bad:

The ending- this movie would have been the best of the bunch if Cap died. for fuck sake, i wish they had the balls to do it. Cap dying would have been a great way of losing the leader of the group. Would have left them all in shambles. I mean they are divided now but it just isnt the same.

Casualities- They needed more. I mean this would have been the perfect platform to have Thanos pulling the strings. Some dead Avengers would have been a good segway to the Infinity wars. Nothing is leading to it.

The story- It was ok. Could have been better. Zemo just a regular guy doing all this. Kind of hard to believe. When the general gave the reasons why all this happened and why the avengers need to be put in check, it was stupid. Ok the military was there already and couldnt do shit. duh...

So as i said before, If cap died, i would have said the movie was way better. But to me, BVS was better.
Old 05-11-16, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it ballsy to kill Superman? Like... he wasn't ever written that well to be so connected to him. And it's his second appearance. But we know he isn't dead either by the end of BvS. Sooo that kind of nixes out the impact of his death.

If anything... it would have much more impactful for Cap to die than Supes. Just cuz we've had this amount of build up and relation to the character. The moment the film is giving ya the nods that Supes is going for a sacrifice play... I wasn't really surprised. That script really needed some detailed passes.

And Zemo wasn't a regular civilian either. The guy was a Colonel of some armed forces in Sokovia. So the guy just wasn't some nobody w/o any talent involved. Add in his obsession w/ the records released in Cap 2.
Old 05-11-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Is it ballsy to kill Superman? Like... he wasn't ever written that well to be so connected to him. And it's his second appearance. But we know he isn't dead either by the end of BvS. Sooo that kind of nixes out the impact of his death.

If anything... it would have much more impactful for Cap to die than Supes. Just cuz we've had this amount of build up and relation to the character. The moment the film is giving ya the nods that Supes is going for a sacrifice play... I wasn't really surprised. That script really needed some detailed passes.

And Zemo wasn't a regular civilian either. The guy was a Colonel of some armed forces in Sokovia. So the guy just wasn't some nobody w/o any talent involved. Add in his obsession w/ the records released in Cap 2.
It was ballsy for storys sake. He sacrifices himself after being bashed and blamed for everything. Yes you are right, cap would have been a more impactful death but he didnt die. He becomes a wanted man and a cellphone call away... to me thats dumb.

Zemo was just a human with no powers. He was able to infiltrate the whole organization with no help. Again, kind of dumb.

but again
My opinion sir.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.