Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's compare Batman V. Superman and Captain America: Civil War

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Let's compare Batman V. Superman and Captain America: Civil War

Old 05-11-16, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Let's compare Batman V. Superman and Captain America: Civil War

Maybe teasing Supes resurrecting at the end wasn't necessarily a bad idea. But the fact that we didn't care for him so much to begin with....
When they killed Batman on the Dark Knight Rises for 5 minutes as well. When you see him alive again you go "hell yeah Alfred got to see him happy now".
BvS spent almost no time building Superman as a character so when he died it barely made a difference on the audience
Old 05-11-16, 03:25 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Let's compare "Citizen Kane" and "Freddy Got Fingered."
Old 05-12-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
well if you look, i didnt get testy with anyone here.

but here are my reasons:

*snip*
Thanks. This is what I was hoping would show up in this thread, especially from people who did like BvS (which I haven't seen yet).

Edit: to be clear, I meant I haven't seen the movie yet, not that I haven't seen anyone who liked BvS.

Last edited by mndtrp; 05-13-16 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Thanks. This is what I was hoping would show up in this thread, especially from people who did like BvS (which I haven't seen yet).
all good... i mean i like both... i just like one alittle bit more than the other
Old 05-12-16, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

I gave both 4 star ratings in DVDTalk polls. I've enjoyed pretty much all MCU films, Thor flicks being the weakest for me. I also enjoyed MoS quite a bit as well.

I don't have a problem with the tone of MoS or BvS, so that's not an instant mark against BvS for me. I thought both vilians were pretty weak overall. I also though both had the problem of there not being any consequences (death) as a result of their direct conflict. Yes, Supes was gone at the end of BvS, but at the hands of a bad guy (and, well, we all know he's not dead). Rhodes was the only physical "casualty" of the Civil War battle (although that impact should have killed him instantly). I got the feeling that everyone was holding back during the Civil War fight (I mean Vision and Scarlett Witch could have just wrecked everyone if they wanted too).

The "Martha" situation is kind of cancelled out by the instant we're back to best friends Bucky moment.

I would have rated Civil War higher if it didn't make me dislike to two biggest characters (Stark and Cap). Starks instant turn via contact with one victims parent and Cap turning his back on the team for a known murderer (even moreso because of the one particular killing).

Both had specific highlights for me. Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne and Holland as Spiderman. I also like Ant-Man's brief appearance in Civil War as well.

I think I'm lucky in that I am not a comic reader so I have no specific slant on any of the takes on these superheroes, I just like what I like.
Old 05-12-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I gave both 4 star ratings in DVDTalk polls. I've enjoyed pretty much all MCU films, Thor flicks being the weakest for me. I also enjoyed MoS quite a bit as well.

I don't have a problem with the tone of MoS or BvS, so that's not an instant mark against BvS for me. I thought both vilians were pretty weak overall. I also though both had the problem of there not being any consequences (death) as a result of their direct conflict. Yes, Supes was gone at the end of BvS, but at the hands of a bad guy (and, well, we all know he's not dead). Rhodes was the only physical "casualty" of the Civil War battle (although that impact should have killed him instantly). I got the feeling that everyone was holding back during the Civil War fight (I mean Vision and Scarlett Witch could have just wrecked everyone if they wanted too).

The "Martha" situation is kind of cancelled out by the instant we're back to best friends Bucky moment.

I would have rated Civil War higher if it didn't make me dislike to two biggest characters (Stark and Cap). Starks instant turn via contact with one victims parent and Cap turning his back on the team for a known murderer (even moreso because of the one particular killing).

Both had specific highlights for me. Affleck as Batman/Bruce Wayne and Holland as Spiderman. I also like Ant-Man's brief appearance in Civil War as well.

I think I'm lucky in that I am not a comic reader so I have no specific slant on any of the takes on these superheroes, I just like what I like.
awesome and agreed. the similarities is kind of funny of both movies... especially the martha/bucky similarities
Old 05-12-16, 01:30 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I got the feeling that everyone was holding back during the Civil War fight (I mean Vision and Scarlett Witch could have just wrecked everyone if they wanted too).
they pointed that out twice (Wanda to Hawkeye during his fight with Widow; and IM to Widow -- says something like "the plan was to go easy on them, wanna switch it up?).

They didn't want to kill each other, just containment.

Last edited by HN; 05-12-16 at 01:37 PM.