Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which film/movie magazines do you read?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-15, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently subscribed to Cinefex, and I was wondering: which film/movie magazines do you all read?
Old 10-15-15, 03:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 950 Likes on 795 Posts
Re: Which film/movie magazines do you read?

Entertainment Weekly, though i don't really read it as much as i scan nowadays...
Old 10-15-15, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,047 Likes on 863 Posts

Of magazines that are still in print, I most recently subscribed to EW but I let it lapse a couple years ago.
Old 10-15-15, 04:45 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Entertainment Weekly, though i don't really read it as much as i scan nowadays...
i subscribed all throughout college ('98 - '02). i thought it was one of the best subscription deals out there -- $20 for ~52-54 issues (one per week and a couple special editions) and read them cover to cover except the theater and books section.
Old 10-15-15, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I used to read Film Threat, but the print mag has been dead for about twenty years. (Holy shit! That can't be right can it?)

I bought Sci Fi Universe (Film Threat's sister publication) from the first issue to the last one.

I did read Premiere for a while, when I got free subs for it.

And that one that came with the DVD of trailers and shit that didn't even last for a year...

I don't read any and haven't for years... What's left? Cinefex and Fango?
Old 10-15-15, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A long time ago, I subscribed to Sight and Sound. Kept it for a few years. Then I decided that it was a bit too costly, and I could get some decent info and spend time reading other stuff online anyway. I did enjoy having it every month though.
Old 10-15-15, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

I let my subscription to Entertainment Weekly lapse a couple of years ago. The magazine had really gone downhill. Very little of interest in it anymore.

I subscribe to Video Watchdog.

I get occasional issues of Cineaste in Barnes & Noble and try to buy every issue of Shock Cinema, which has great interviews with lesser-known actors.
Old 10-15-15, 05:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 950 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I let my subscription to Entertainment Weekly lapse a couple of years ago. The magazine had really gone downhill. Very little of interest in it anymore.
i agree, sadly...
Old 10-15-15, 07:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I miss NATO magazine back during my projectionist days. Anybody actually remember that one?
Old 10-15-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,723 Likes on 2,675 Posts

Still subscribe to Entertainment Weekly as I pay only $20 per year for it. But, I skim it more than actually read it.

I did go downhill a lot, especially after they laid off so many of their top movie and TV writers. I primarily read the Tv section to see if anything notable is coming up that I may have missed and read the short caption reviews for new movies.
Old 10-15-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,111 Posts

It's really too bad there's so few options for movie related magazines. I read Total Film Magazine shortly before its demise. I enjoyed it the little I got to read (plus I seem to remember they provided a free DVD with short films/trailers/etc. that was fun to watch).

I read Fangoria to get my horror fix but aside from being expensive for a thin magazine, they often cream themselves and talk up the worst low budget pieces of shit being released. It's often hard to get a good sense of horror films through them.

Entertainment Weekly is the mostly widely available and sadly it caters to the masses in terms of quality. Not much in depth discussion on much beyond the latest blockbuster being released.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 10-15-15 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-15-15, 07:52 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

I get Entertainment Weekly but only because it's $2 a year thru the constant deals that pop up after the free magazines in our thread here.
Old 10-15-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 293 Likes on 185 Posts

I had a subscription to Premiere back in the day. I think it went out of print close to 10 years ago though.
Old 10-15-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

For years I bought and read Empire. I used to have a great collection of back issues dating right back to its start. I stopped buying it a few years back however as for one it's practically impossible to buy any international magazines where I live, but also I wrote a message to the editor complaining of every issue having the "Top 50/100..." lists. I explained that I find this lazy writing and childlike. They wrote back saying it was popular and people liked it. So that was that. I always collected Total Film as well, but these days just grab the digital version. There were also two magazines called Neon and Hotdog that I really liked Neon did not last too long, but Hotdog had a reasonable production timeframe and it was in my opinion the best movie magazine out there. It has superb articles on Classic movies and always provided insights that would not be read elsewhere. It was a sad day it stopped publication.
Old 10-15-15, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

What's a magazine?
Old 10-15-15, 09:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zero
What's a magazine?
Something our grandpa's used to read, and get this... they were made out of paper... WTF. PAPER!!
Old 10-15-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,171 Likes on 913 Posts

Surprised only one other person has mentioned Empire. I know it's not a US magazine but I think it's easily one of the best film magazines out there. I subscribed for a while but didn't renew once it ran out as I didn't always get time to read them and felt like I was wasting money.
Old 10-15-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

American Cinematographer. Haven't read it in a few months but I've been subscribing for years and collect back issues. Great articles, very in depth, and an ASC publication, so it's also tailored to industry professionals. Even the ads are interesting, if you're into cameras and rental house info.
Old 10-15-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 366 Likes on 280 Posts

Entertainment Weekly is a joke these days. I got a year subscription for free last year, and there were only three issues that I enjoyed (3 out of ~48).

When I started to see articles about binge watching old tv shows and drinking games, that's what made me hate the magazine.
Old 10-15-15, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
American Cinematographer. Haven't read it in a few months but I've been subscribing for years and collect back issues. Great articles, very in depth, and an ASC publication, so it's also tailored to industry professionals. Even the ads are interesting, if you're into cameras and rental house info.
One of the things I remember best from the time I spent in film school was that there were always free issues of American Cinematogapher available on the table in the hallway. There was some pretty great things in those magazines and made me appreciate cinematography in films.
Old 10-16-15, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

This thread just reminds me how much I miss STARLOG.
Old 10-16-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Fangoria, Horror Hound and Entertainment Weekly.
Old 10-16-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cinema Retro and Little Shoppe of Horrors.
Old 10-17-15, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Back in the day I subscribed to Premiere, Film Comment and Entertainment Weekly. Print media died, and I no longer seemed to have the time to settle in with a magazine. The only mag I read now is Video Watchdog, of which I wait breathlessly for 6 times a year.
Old 10-17-15, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 840 Likes on 707 Posts

I occasionally pick up an issue of Fangoria or one of the other horror magazines.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.