Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jurassic World (Trevorrow, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jurassic World (Trevorrow, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Jurassic World (Trevorrow, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

I gave it a B- in the other thread. Saw it a day early when it opened overseas ahead of the U.S. when I was on vacation.

I liked the Dino effects and was entertained for the most part. But I felt like a lot of this was a re-hash of the original movie, with some updates for the 2015 crowd. I felt like they could have given a little more meat to the story on how they managed to re-open this park after 20 years.
Old 06-17-15, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I really enjoyed this. I feel like this is the sequel we should have gotten 20 years ago.

It seemed like the setup was a bit rushed and felt like they just tried to throw us into the middle of the park right away. I also didn't particularly care for the younger kid, which is a shame considering I like that young actor. It almost seemed like they wrote his character as having as Aspergers or something which seemed a bit weird. Luckily, he and the older brother became far less annoying as th movie progressed.

Aside from that, I enjoyed every minute of it. The raptors weren't nearly as silly as the rumors lead us to believe and once Bryce Dallas Howard went into adventure mode she got super hot. The final battle was pretty badass too!
Old 06-17-15, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I liked it, but the original was better.

I liked the idea of the hybrid and using dinos as weapons. Fox should take notes on this for making a good Alien sequel.

I liked the cast, but the Claire character seemed pretty dumb compared to Arnold from the first one (yes I know he made mistakes too), as they were both managers of the park?

Universal is winning big now.
- I don't relaly buy toys, but I just bought the remote control jeep and matchbox set.
- I have the first one on blu-ray, but now actually kind of wish I had the trilogy set.
- I want to buy Jurassic Park and World posters and the action figures.
Old 06-18-15, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I really liked this one. A lot. Agreed with GoldenJCJ that it felt like the sequel we should have gotten years ago.

Without delving too deeply into things, I thought neither of the kids was annoying (the older brother's apathy made sense, especially since it was said that kids were no longer "wowed" by dinos).

Character development was static, but this didn't bother me much. I didn't need to see anyone here grow or mature, although to some degree the kids may have.

The romance angle was terrible and felt shoehorned. Luckily it was a small piece of the film.

Donofrio was a little too "mustache twirling" but I didn't mind so much because his big idea leads to a great sequence later on.

Man, BDH's assistant got it ROUGH.

Loved all of the call backs to the first film, and some nods/digs at JP2/3.

It made me happy to see a functioning park. I just wanted to see a little more of it. The kids riding the baby triceratops was a wonderful touch.

That. Final. Battle. I had a huge childhood boner the entire time. A raptor is riding a T-Rex, while fighting an I. Rex. And then a mosasaur finishes the battle. How in the name of Christ can anyone say that end fight isn't amazing? It fed directly into my fanboy wants and desires and I LOVE the film for that.

Perfect final shot.

The real problem: where to go from there? No doubt a sequel is coming, but I really don't know what they could do. I'd rather they just leave it alone and be stoked this one did so well, but being Hollywood and all...
Old 06-18-15, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

This movie has a website that's like one for a real theme park

JurassicWorld.com

"Excuse our mess"

"We're experiencing some dino-sized technical issues"

"Everything is under control"

Old 06-18-15, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

Saw this today. It was great fun. Stupid, but fun.

I like Chris Pratt a lot, but he felt kind of bland here. He's better when some of his boyish personality can come through the character he plays. The role here is written too straight.

Bryce Dallas Howard had a better character arc, and--damn, she was smokin' hot!

The kids were okay--better than those in the other sequels.

I really liked the amusement park setting. This was what I have been wanting to see ever since the first movie--a fully realized dinosaur park. I wish they had spent a little more time showing us the park before it all went to hell.

I liked the little twist with the raptors and the I-Rex. I should have seen it coming, but didn't.

The final dino battle was pretty cool, though I could have done without the Shamu dino getting in the last chomp.
Old 06-19-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I loved it. Gave it a 4.5/5. I can see where people with more sophisticated tastes than myself would have trouble with it. Some of it was so boiler plate, it almost said "boiler plate" at the bottom of the screen. Howard is definitely smoking hot as the movie progresses.

The kids were more annoying than the first one but not nearly as bad as Goldblum's kid in 2. A cameo from Ariana Richards would have been great but she's pregnant and out of the country.

Dinos were off the charts cool
Old 06-19-15, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As stated, that final battle was fun. A bit TOO obvious of an ending but I enjoyed it. It's rough but still enjoyable.

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xb3rRFGk0Y0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Much clearer take on latter section of the fight but in Spanish. With some audience very... Hispanic reactions...

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G82G4-_abi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 06-19-15 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-19-15, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I missed the nods/digs at JP2/3?
Old 06-19-15, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
A cameo from Ariana Richards would have been great but she's pregnant and out of the country.
But filming took place over a year ago, so that wouldn't have been an issue (in this theoretical scenario).
Old 06-20-15, 06:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really makes me wish they'd time it again for more natural based environmental color settings. That damn blue went too far in the movie. Stood out like crazy to me

--------

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jfcqQf61S-k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-20-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

RedLetterMedia's Half in the Bag review of Jurassic World:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iN6Rlh4KonQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This review video is bit too long and drawn out, but the "plot synopsis" early on is funny and the sensitive Joss Whedon joke around 15 minutes into it is perfect!
Old 06-20-15, 09:55 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Good points from that Half in the Bag by both guys, though I'm not as cynical overall as the skinny spiky-haired dude. The movie works, more or less, and the run time was just right. I'm growing tired of the 2 1/2+ blockbusters filled with bloat. I disagree that Owen was the worst character. He was by far the best character in the whole movie. Without him, the movie would not work.
Old 06-21-15, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
I think I missed the nods/digs at JP2/3?
Not sure about 2, but as for 3:

Spoiler:
The T. rex crashes through and destroys a Spinosaurus skeleton during her fight with the I. rex. Nice dig at how crappy JP3 and its primary villain were.
Old 06-21-15, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Sounds like a stretch to me.
Old 06-21-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No "stretch" about that at all. It's very clear Trevorrow was telling people the T-Rex is king by having her smash through that skeleton.
Old 06-22-15, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

https://movies.yahoo.com/video/scoop...000211617.html @1:50

A Dimorphodon eats a T-Rex stuffed animal during the Pteranodon attack. Clearly Trevorrow saying T-Rex isn't the king of the franchise anymore.

Old 10-10-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Saw it today at a dollar theater. Avoided it over the summer because it looked like trash, and my instinct turned out to be correct. Garbage movie, on par with II and III in the franchise.

Good things:
-hearing John Williams' theme again
-Pratt
-the callbacks and references to the first film ("spared no expense", the banner, the night vision goggles, the raptor wall paintings of the main lobby, etc)
-Vincent D'Onofrio (even though his character sucked)
-Dr. Henry Wu (even though his character was also written terribly)
-Bryce Dallas Howard reminding me of Jessica Chastain

Bad things:
-awful CGI, some of the worst I've seen in a major feature film with a huge production budget
-no practical effects
-the plot, everything about it
-the cliche "smart little kid" and "moody emo teenager" who start the movie with a distant relationship and become close. Ugh.
-smart little kid was even worse due to the kid playing him. Already hated this kid from Iron Man 3.
-the different dinosaurs teaming up at the end to kill Indominitus Rex
-Claire standing two feet from the T-Rex and outrunning it in heels to the hybrid Rex
-Jake Johnson's character and the knowledge that he's going to be in EVERYTHING Colin Trevorrow does in the future, including the upcoming Star Wars film. Speaking of which, my expectations for Trevorrow's SW movie are very low. At least he and his shitty writing team are not producing the screenplay, so there's hope. He needs to stick to indie stuff like Safety Not Guaranteed, which was great.

Terrible film, glad I only spent a buck on it.
Old 11-04-15, 02:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reason...-biggest-hero/

I... kind of agree with this. A lot.
The title of the article is kind of terrible (misleading, maybe? Reading through it, I don't see six "reasons" but rather six "bullet points" about the movie) but the substance is good.

In short:
When she watches the kids Claire dumps on her, she also spends most of her time on her phone, because she's trying to do her normal job in addition to looking after the kids. Also, she looks like she's in her mid-to-late 20s, but she's a personal assistant to Jurassic World's park operations manager. I'm impressed, because she's my age, but her job involves dinosaurs. So she's better at life than I am. Does your job involve dinosaurs? No? Then she's better at life than you too.

Last edited by Dan; 11-04-15 at 02:17 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 11-04-15, 02:53 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

i'm kinda surprised this only 2 pages of review discussions. even sucky movies can generate that much discussion on their suckage alone.
Old 11-04-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Oops, almost forgot to put my vote in.

Old 11-04-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I enjoyed the movie, but never held Jurassic Park in super high regard. It obviously lacked the craft that Spielberg brings to his projects, and the main dino seemed to have a scale problem (it seemed like he shifted size every other scene), but in general it was pretty damn enjoyable.

Liked the raptors more than I was expecting, the kids didn't bother me, and it was well paced. I'd probably give it a 3.5 out of 5.

I don't get the hate it seems to attract here, but hell different taste I guess
Old 11-04-15, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by HN
i'm kinda surprised this only 2 pages of review discussions. even sucky movies can generate that much discussion on their suckage alone.
Most of the discussion took place in the pre-release thread. This one was created late, hence the lack of replies.
Old 06-25-16, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Just watched it on HBO. It was quite good but two things irritated me.

1) D'Onofrio's character and plot thread. It feels like they stuck him in there just to have a villain, as though Indominitus wasn't enough. and boy has Private Pyle let himself go.

2) the convenient plot device of the boys being able to control the gyrosphere. Bullshit. There is no way even a sloppy park would allow visitors to control the vehicle to move on their own through the park.

Didn't see that ending for I Rex though. And I loved that scene where the raptors "spoke" with him and Pratt's character (basically a reincarnation of Muldoon from the first film) realizing that thing was part raptor.

And really, BDH running like an Olympic sprinter in heels? Come on.
Old 06-26-16, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
boy has Private Pyle let himself go.
Believe it or not, he looked better in this movie than he did in his last couple of seasons on Criminal Intent.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.