Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen getting a reboot

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-15, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Because why not?

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/le...ox-1201505537/

20th Century Fox is rebooting its 2003 historical fantasy film “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” with John Davis on board to produce through his Davis Entertainment banner.

Ira Napoliello and Matt Reilly are overseeing the remake, based on Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill’s graphic novel of the same name, centering on Victorian-era literary characters such as Captain Nemo, the Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde teaming to fight a common enemy.

A TV series was in development in 2013 with “Green Lantern” writer Michael Green on board as showrunner and exec producer alongside Erwin Stoff. Fox made a put pilot commitment but the show was not ordered to series.

The feature film starred Sean Connery as Allan Quatermain; it was the thesp’s final live-action movie before he retired. The studio had planned for “League” to become a franchise but the worldwide gross reached only $180 million.

“The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” comic book series launched in 1999. News of the reboot was first reported by The Tracking Board.
Old 05-27-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen getting a reboot

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Doesn't TOMORROWLAND sort of cover this territory with its quartet of scientific geniuses in 1899: Edison, Verne, Tesla, and Eiffel?
Old 05-27-15, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

It'd be great if it keeps the tone and style of the first volume of the comic book. And it'd be great if any sequels ignore the subsequent volumes. The second was uneven but still overall enjoyable. Everything else just got progressively shittier and more ridiculous. Like how
Spoiler:
Alan Quatermain was killed by a lightning bolt shot from the Antichrist's penis.
It was a great concept but eventually it seemed like Alan Moore stopped giving a fuck and farted out the rest of the storylines.
Old 05-27-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

The remake is really pretty good; I've been watching it.

It's called "Penny Dreadful" and Showtime is currently airing its second season.
Old 05-27-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
It'd be great if it keeps the tone and style of the first volume of the comic book. And it'd be great if any sequels ignore the subsequent volumes. The second was uneven but still overall enjoyable. Everything else just got progressively shittier and more ridiculous. Like how
Spoiler:
Alan Quatermain was killed by a lightning bolt shot from Harry Potter's penis.
It was a great concept but eventually it seemed like Alan Moore stopped giving a fuck and farted out the rest of the storylines.
Fixed that spoiler for you.
Old 05-27-15, 08:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Wow, they must have gotten my email.
Old 05-17-22, 01:05 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

More 20th Century IP for Hulu.

Twentieth Century Studios is returning to the Victorian age of heroes.

The Disney studio division is rebooting The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the acclaimed comic book franchise created by author Alan Moore and artist Kevin O’Neill.

Justin Haythe, whose diverse credits range from Revolutionary Road, the drama starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, to the Jennifer Lawrence spy thriller Red Sparrow, has been tapped to pen the screenplay for the project, which is intended to be made as a feature for Hulu.

Don Murphy, who produced 20th’s original adaptation of League in 2003, is back as a producer on the new iteration. Joining him is producing partner Susan Montford as well as Erwin Stoff of 3 Arts Entertainment.

A sort of Justice League of literary heroes from Victorian England, and mining works such as Dracula, Sherlock Holmes and Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, the initial concept featured Mina Murray, Allan Quatermain, Captain Nemo, Dr. Jekyll, and the Invisible Man squaring off against Fu Manchu, Professor Moriarty and aliens from H. G. Wells’ War of the Worlds.

The first two volumes were published by an imprint of DC Comics starting in 1999, but the creator-owned series moved to indie publishers after Moore, the author of comic classics Watchmen and V for Vendetta, saw his infamously prickly relationship with DC deteriorate even further. Several other volumes and graphic novels followed, with the last storyline wrapping up in 2019.

When the series initially hit, it was a sensation, thanks to Moore’s high-concept but dark and cynical tone, and to O’Neill complementing art, which captured the dingy and scrawly edge of the era. The first volume won the Bram Stoker Award for best illustrated narrative while the second won an Eisner Award for best limited series.

The 2003 movie famously took liberties with the source material, adding Tom Sawyer as a U.S. Secret Service agent, for example, and is notable as being the last role played by Sean Connery, who retired from acting soon after. The movie was also known for its troubled production, with Connery coming to blows with director Stephen Norrington. Still, the movie proved to be a moneymaker, grossing over $179 million worldwide, and a popular seller on DVD at the time.

Twentieth has attempted several reboots, including developing a female-centric feature take as well as a pilot for a series. None has gotten off the ground.

Sources say that Haythe and company are returning to the core comic books for their take.

Murphy and Montford are currently developing a Buck Rogers feature and series with George Clooney’s Smokehouse, set up at Legendary, and are coming off production on the Vampire Academy television series. The latter is due to premiere on Peacock in September. Murphy, a longtime Transformers franchise producer, also has the latest Autobot outing, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, set for a June 2023 release.

Haythe is repped by CAA, 3 Arts and Sloane Offer.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ulu-1235148573
Old 05-17-22, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

This is a remake I don't mind as I prefer remaking films that failed to do justice to the concept/source.
Old 05-17-22, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole
This is a remake I don't mind as I prefer remaking films that failed to do justice to the concept/source.
I knew nothing about the original source so I'm ambivalent about this.
Old 05-17-22, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

2015:
The studio had planned for “League” to become a franchise but the worldwide gross reached only $180 million.
2022:
Still, the movie proved to be a moneymaker, grossing over $179 million worldwide,
One man's flop is another man's hit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ash Ketchum:
GoldenJCJ (05-17-22), John Pannozzi (05-18-22)
Old 05-17-22, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

The first two series of the original comic is excellent, but very dark. Mr Hyde is the dominant personality. The Invisible Man is a serial rapist. Captain Nemo is a prince from India, and he is fiercely anti-Western. The boss of the organization is a horrible human. The Martian Tripods are killed by disease, but it's no accident of nature.

The movie makers need to add an upbeat American character to lighten the tone and attract US ticket sales. I suggest Polyanna, she's female, she's upbeat, and she's American.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick Danger:
John Pannozzi (05-18-22), majorjoe23 (05-17-22)
Old 05-17-22, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

At this point, I think Don Murphy is just trolling Alan Moore.
The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
IBJoel (05-18-22), John Pannozzi (05-18-22)
Old 05-17-22, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
The first two series of the original comic is excellent, but very dark. Mr Hyde is the dominant personality. The Invisible Man is a serial rapist. Captain Nemo is a prince from India, and he is fiercely anti-Western. The boss of the organization is a horrible human. The Martian Tripods are killed by disease, but it's no accident of nature.
They really are. Just great, well-crafted stories. Then it went off of the rails with The Black Dossier when Moore let it become an arcane, self-indulgent mess.

And then the fourth volume culiminated with Harry Potter-as-the-Moonchild-Antichrist killing people by shooting lightning bolts out of his penis. Which, borrowing a phrase from David St. Hubbins, there's a fine line between clever and stupid.

The movie makers need to add an upbeat American character to lighten the tone and attract US ticket sales. I suggest Polyanna, she's female, she's upbeat, and she's American.
Polyanna was one of the girls that was raped by the Invisible Man at the school for wayward girls in the first volume of the graphic novel.
Old 05-17-22, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
They really are. Just great, well-crafted stories. Then it went off of the rails with The Black Dossier when Moore let it become an arcane, self-indulgent mess.

And then the fourth volume culiminated with Harry Potter-as-the-Moonchild-Antichrist killing people by shooting lightning bolts out of his penis. Which, borrowing a phrase from David St. Hubbins, there's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I gave up after The Black Dossier.

Polyanna was one of the girls that was raped by the Invisible Man at the school for wayward girls in the first volume of the graphic novel.
I had forgotten that.
Old 05-18-22, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
2015:

2022:

One man's flop is another man's hit.

By recent Pandemic standards isn't 179mil now a successful Blockbuster?
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-18-22)
Old 05-18-22, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

The first two volumes of the comic were fantastic, I reread them often, but the rest of the series....not so good. I'd love to see a movie of the League vs. H.G. Wells' martians, complete with the comic's prologue featuring John Carter and Gulliver on Mars, damn that could be good.
Old 05-19-22, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I presume returning the property to its comic book roots would make it darker and grittier than the original action movie, which I did enjoy despite its vast tonal differences with Moore's comics. What's funny is that the movie's disappointing box office would be viewed as a real hit today and would net several sequels.
Old 05-19-22, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

If I wanted to buy the trade paperbacks of the comics, would you all just recommend vol 1 and 2 or a certain run of issues? I'm interested in reading them now after reading this thread.
Old 05-19-22, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
If I wanted to buy the trade paperbacks of the comics, would you all just recommend vol 1 and 2 or a certain run of issues? I'm interested in reading them now after reading this thread.
For sure 1 & 2. If you like those, then you can try the Black Dossier
lwhy? (05-19-22)
Old 05-19-22, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Volumes 1 and 2 are essential, but none of the other releases are, unfortunately.
lwhy? (05-19-22)
Old 05-20-22, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Volume one plus volume two is only a dozen issues. So buy that run.

The Black Dossier is there if you want to dive into surrealism, mysticism, sex magik, and difficult reading. That kind of thing works great for me or not at all, with no middle ground. The Black Dossier didn't work for me. YMMV.
lwhy? (05-20-22)