Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers:AOU vs. Star Wars:TFA; which will open higher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Which will have a larger opening?
Avengers: Age of Ultron
21.18%
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
78.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers:AOU vs. Star Wars:TFA; which will open higher

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-15, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Avengers:AOU vs. Star Wars:TFA; which will open higher

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Very true. And there's a whole new generation of fans thanks to the current cartoons, toys, games, and stuff. We had a family vacation at the beach a couple of weeks ago and during that time my 8 year old nephew would not shut up about Star Wars. Though he's also really into the MCU, right now SW is his main thing. That kid knows way more about the universe - characters, ships, planets, weapons, etc. - than I ever did and I was super into the movies when they came out. It's actually pretty neat that the franchise has remained so popular for so long. Anyway, my nephew is *really* looking forward to seeing the new movie, his first SW one in theaters. I imagine there are plenty more out there like him.

As for which film will take home more money, I have no idea.
Out of curiosity what does he think of the OT? Does he consider them boring and old compared to the PT?
Old 04-22-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

The Force Awakens will open higher simply because you will have a load of older casual fans who will see it who saw it back in 1977. Simply put, these are the not the type of people who see 'blockbuster' movies these days. And when you have these type of people seeing a movie like this that is where you start setting records. (Titanic, Avatar, Jaws, Star Wars 77, ET, etc.)

I can say I have already talked to 6 people from work/my family who will see TFA that didn't see the Prequels, simply because they saw Harrison Ford in the trailer. Even my mom mentioned that she is interested to see it as the last SW movie she saw was ESB in 1980 when I was a kid. Now I think Episode 8 won't set records because you will lose those older casual fans, but of course it will still be gross huge numbers. But if you look at the history of SW films, the first one in each trilogy always grosses the most.
Old 04-22-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Out of curiosity what does he think of the OT? Does he consider them boring and old compared to the PT?
I haven't asked him to rank the movies, but I lent him my OT DVDs a while back. I watched ANH with him and he was really interested in them, though there were slow periods where his iPad seemed like a more entertaining option. Then the action would pick back up and he'd be drawn in again. At the beach my dad (his grandpa) took him to the toy store and said he could pick out his own Easter present. Maybe it's just because they're a part of the whole "universe," but he chose this set, as well as the ESB and ROTJ ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Excl...ars+figure+set

We spent the week setting up fight scenarios with them. Ha. He hadn't seen AOTC and ROTS yet, so we watched those during vacation. He was into those movies, too. I hadn't seen them in years and forgot just how shitty they were. (AOTC more so.) All of the green screening looked very, very fake, the terrible dialogue, the boring plotting, etc. These Lucas-free movies can't come soon enough.

I did shed a small tear when I realized that my nephew experienced these not knowing that in reality Han shot first.

Right now he thinks movie trailers are the shit - maybe because of the new SW one? - and the other day he wanted me to show him some for other movies coming out. (We did Ant Man, the new Pixar, etc.) I'm planning on introducing him to the Indiana Jones series next, so I showed him the old one for Raiders. It was funny when he realized that the guy playing Indy is also Han Solo.
Old 04-22-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
so I showed him the old one for Raiders. It was funny when he realized that the guy playing Indy is also Han Solo.
...for some reason that reminds me of when I was a kid, it confused the fuck out of me that James Bond was in Mrs Doubtfire. I figured once you had an iconic role, that's all you could do.
Old 04-22-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
...for some reason that reminds me of when I was a kid, it confused the fuck out of me that James Bond was in Mrs Doubtfire. I figured once you had an iconic role, that's all you could do.
I was confused what the guy from Mrs. Doubtfire was doing in James Bond. James Bond shouldn't have a pepper allergy or be attracted to the Flying Nun!
Old 04-22-15, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I was confused what the guy from Mrs. Doubtfire was doing in James Bond. James Bond shouldn't have a pepper allergy or be attracted to the Flying Nun!
I saw Mrs Doubtfire (I think it was airing on HBO or another premium network) a week or two after renting Goldeneye

So my comment really doesn't make any sense since Doubtfire was two years before he was Bond.
Old 04-22-15, 01:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
The Force Awakens will open higher
No it won't.
Old 04-22-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 767 Likes on 375 Posts

The Force Awakens will open higher
Originally Posted by EctoCooler
No it won't.
Old 04-22-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 825 Likes on 697 Posts

Avengers will definitely be more front-loaded, that is how sequels always end up. I've seen a couple of troubling reviews for Age of Ultron, though that may not matter for international audiences. Where the first film really made its money was overseas, it blew away all international projections.

I think the two movies will end up fairly close in overall box office at the end of their runs. Star Wars has the deeper fan base but I don't think it is nearly as fanatic as it once was in my generation.
Old 04-23-15, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Variety posted this 2 weeks ago regarding Avengers 2:

The picture formally went on tracking Thursday, with services predicting a debut of between $190 million to $200 million, roughly $70 million more than the first film was predicted to make when it first went on tracking. Other analysts, such as BoxOffice.com, are projecting the film will make more than $210 million in its inaugural weekend.
Old 04-23-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
No it won't.
How about giving a reason why?
Old 04-23-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 990 Likes on 698 Posts

Clearly you are unfamiliar with EctoCooler and his contributions to this forum.
Old 04-23-15, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 246 Posts

I read that they're now projecting TFA might do half a billion worldwide on its opening weekend alone.

Impressive...most impressive.
Old 04-23-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 255 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I read that they're now projecting TFA might do half a billion worldwide on its opening weekend alone.

That'll just about cover the profit sharing clause in Ford's contract. This will be HUGE. We're talking people camping out in line for days. People going to see it multiple times. It will still be playing in top five Feb. 1st. It'll be on every magazine cover, potato chip bag, soft drink cup. It'll be talked about in the news.
All because of Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie. When the characters first appear on screen people in the theater will stand up and cheer.
The only thing I can think of that would be bigger is if all four Beatles were alive and did a reunion tour.
Old 04-23-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
That'll just about cover the profit sharing clause in Ford's contract. This will be HUGE. We're talking people camping out in line for days. People going to see it multiple times. It will still be playing in top five Feb. 1st. It'll be on every magazine cover, potato chip bag, soft drink cup. It'll be talked about in the news.
All because of Luke, Leia, Han and Chewie. When the characters first appear on screen people in the theater will stand up and cheer.
The only thing I can think of that would be bigger is if all four Beatles were alive and did a reunion tour.
Now that I would go see!
Old 04-23-15, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

Wouldn't be surprise. And that's before you factor in the marketing, which will probably be more than the gross domestic earnings of Cuba.
Old 04-23-15, 05:13 PM
Banned

Because it's a December release. Even if it doubles the current December record-holder, that still wouldn't be as much as what Age of Ultron is about to make next weekend. It will play well through the winter, however, and will most likely be the years' top-grossing film, domestically and internationally.

--
Old 04-23-15, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
I figure SW has a longer (cinematic) history and deeper cultural appeal than Avengers.
I don't know about that... I have young nieces and nephews and they couldn't give a shit about Star Wars. It's like vinyl records to them, old and outdated. But they love The Avengers, it's what's current to them.
Old 04-23-15, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ultron will easily make more in its opening weekend, around $200M or so. December releases open modestly but tend to have legs, as January and February are usually pretty bleak. Titanic's opening weekend was only in the high $20M range. Even Avatar's was only in the $70M+ bracket. The Hobbit and LOTR movies all opened in that general vicinity as well. People are busy in December with holiday stuff, so they don't necessarily rush to see a movie opening weekend as they will usually have plenty of time during their break to see it. The people predicting Star Wars to have some crazy high opening are probably the same people who predicted a $150M opening for Prometheus a couple years ago.

The better question to ask is which one will earn more domestically and globally. That could go either way.
Old 04-23-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

I don't know which opens higher, but I sincerely hope its Star Wars. Fuck The Avengers. The first one was basically a Transformers movie.
Old 04-23-15, 09:07 PM
Banned

It was hardly a Transformers movie. It was actually enjoyable.

--
Old 04-23-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Star Wars will open higher.

The hate for the PT is overblown. Only nerds on the internet bitch about it. The general public is okay with the PT for the most part.
I don't think the general public hates it, but I don't think most are “ok” with it.

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
I also think you overestimate the age of the typical Star Wars fan. They're not so old that they never leave their house to go to the theater. They're not that old. The Star Wars crowd is probably 40 and under. Not 60 and older...
Anyone who saw the original Star Wars in their mid-20s is now AARP age. Kids who saw The Phantom Menace when they were 3 are now in college. Time comes for us all.
Old 05-02-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts

Anyone care to make an updated more educated guess at this time? I feel sorry for the studio that invested in a bomb that can only make a tad over $200 million opening weekend. I'm sure the one behind this one will do much better.
Old 05-03-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Anyone care to make an updated more educated guess at this time? I feel sorry for the studio that invested in a bomb that can only make a tad over $200 million opening weekend. I'm sure the one behind this one will do much better.
Looks like around $187M. Those "definitely will make $500M domestic" posts are looking questionable now especially since it is not a very good movie.
Old 05-03-15, 02:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Looks like around $187M.
The Mayweather/Pacquiao fight most definitely cut into its gross. That is a certainty.

--

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.