Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Rodriguez & Miller, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Rodriguez & Miller, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
3.03%
6.06%
6.06%
21.21%
21.21%
21.21%
15.15%
3.03%
0%
3.03%
0%
Sin City: To Little To Late
0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Rodriguez & Miller, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-14, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Rodriguez & Miller, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

I wonder if I watch Death Proof 3 times i'll like it better
Old 08-23-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Rodriguez & Miller, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Rodriquez self indulgent, have you guys seen Kill Bill?
Seen it, hated it. QT's worst film IMO

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Desperado, El Mariachi, and From Dusk Till Dawn are much better than Death Proof.
I agree with El Mariachi and the first half of From Dusk Till Dawn.

Originally Posted by Coral
I was thinking the same thing... except you can attribute that to the last 4 Tarantino films. I bet he masturbates to his 30 minute scenes of mostly pointless dialogue because he's so in love with it.
Ever since Jackie Brown.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zItF0ZpWGZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-23-14, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Has anyone on here actually seen this movie? I tried to talk my wife into going last night but she didn't want to despite us being able to go for free.
Old 08-23-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Has anyone on here actually seen this movie? I tried to talk my wife into going last night but she didn't want to despite us being able to go for free.
And this is the reviews thread, too!
Old 08-23-14, 11:17 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You must not be looking for them.
Old 08-23-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
You must not be looking for them.
Well, looks like my enthusiasm to see this has been taken down several notches.
Old 08-23-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm still catching this tomorrow, but my expectations are pretty low now.
Old 08-23-14, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, looks like my enthusiasm to see this has been taken down several notches.
A few of us have had our say on the film here after we saw it.
Old 08-23-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222

the first half of From Dusk Till Dawn.
Are you talking about the part of the movie that Tarantino basically directed?
Old 08-23-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I don't get the Death Proof hate. I fucking loved it. Especially the what? The last 30 mins of car chase awesomeness?
Damn complainers.
Old 08-23-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

6 people have voted in the poll. Not looking good for scores and number of votes.
Old 08-23-14, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Damn complainers.
Yeah, let's go back to complaining about people who love Guardians of the Galaxy!
Old 08-23-14, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Yeah, let's go back to complaining about people who love Guardians of the Galaxy!
What a bunch of a-holes.
Old 08-23-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andy434343
Are you talking about the part of the movie that Tarantino basically directed?
Tarantino directed none of FDTD. He's always been very clear that he respected Rodriguez during filming and never stepped on his toes as a director. A lot of people assume he ghost-directed it but there's zero evidence to support it.

The Grindhouse films, on the other hand, were really unofficially co-directed by both.

I've even seen people suggest that Tarantino co-directed True Romance but he never even set foot on the set. I think it's easy for people to confuse writing and directional style when you're dealing with someone who works as a writer/director most of the time, but to me FDTD fits right in alongside RR's "Mexican Spaghetti Westerns" and doesn't really fit at all with the look of QT's other films.

FDTD, TR and even the disowned Natural Born Killers are required viewing for Tarantino fans as far as I'm concerned but all three still land squarely in their respective director's filmographies.

If there's anything that accounts for the schizophrenic nature of FDTD it's Tarantino taking a story from another writer (KNB Effects co-founder Robert Kurtzman) and fleshing it out to a screenplay, but that's not nearly as interesting as spreading the false "QT directed the crime half and RR directed the horror half!" nonsense.

Last edited by Guru Askew; 08-23-14 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-23-14, 02:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tarantino's worst are Reservoir Dogs and Django, both of which are at least as good as Rodriguez's best films (Desperado, Planet Terror, and Sin City).
Old 08-23-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-23-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If there's anything that accounts for the schizophrenic nature of FDTD it's Tarantino taking a story from another writer (KNB Effects co-founder Robert Kurtzman) and fleshing it out to a screenplay, but that's not nearly as interesting as spreading the false "QT directed the crime half and RR directed the horror half!" nonsense.
I've never read the Kurtzman draft but FDTD always seemed to play out like a remake of Vamp. Shit, Vamp even has that crazy dance number by Grace Jones.
Old 08-23-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

QT's worst is better than GOTG. Don't get it twisted, holmes.
Old 08-23-14, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went into this one blind other than seeing the trailers. I knew the reviews were trashing it, but I kept my head up high. Like, I got a kick out of Machete Kills. Really, how bad could this be?

This film is nothing but style over substance, but it doesn't work because it has absolutely no energy. This may have been the longest 100 minutes in my life in quite a long time.

The film looks better than the original due to advancements in technology and utilizes the 3D extremely well in spots, but everyone here is just going through the motions. To second other posters' comments, the stories are extremely anti-climatic and I just really didn't care about what was going on screen?

The whole thing felt like a chore once all was said and done.

I really wanted to like this film, but man, Rodriguez has really fallen hard over the past decade.
Old 08-23-14, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
QT's worst is better than GOTG. Don't get it twisted, holmes.
I'm not your holmes, homie. Regardless, I disagree.
Old 08-23-14, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm sure this has been addressed in the thread multiple times already, but I'm too lazy to scroll back...what the hell was up with those timelines? They didn't match up with the 1st one. Now, it's been awhile since I saw Sin City, but as I recall, the 3 stories occurred simultaneously. We see Dwight, Marv, and Hartigan together at the bar. Marv was killed via electrocution after he was caught killing the priest (Rutger Hauer's character). Hartigan shot himself in the head after killing Rourke's son and rescuing Nancy. Dwight kills Manute with the help of the Old town gals.

In Sin City 2, the Nancy revenge story occurs after the events in Sin City. Why is Marv alive and helping Nancy, isn't he dead at this point?
The Dwight story is a prequel to the events in Sin City. So Manute is killed twice? Ava kills him in the sequel, Dwight kills him again after he's had his facial reconstruction surgery. By the way, Brolin looked terrible in the Clive Owen wig.

I liked JGL's story, until the end. Him getting killed made it feel like a complete waste of time.

Eva Green was great, the constant nudity rocked. Some pretty sweet kills and some good individual scenes (liked the poker game scenes).

Other than that it felt like a sequel that was made just to quiet all the fans of the first one asking RR over and over about it. I didn't feel the same energy and passion in the direction as I did in the first one. I'm sure Miller's poor writing didn't help matters.

I gave it 3 stars. It was entertaining, but something I doubt I'll revisit.
Old 08-23-14, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

2 1/2 stars. One star for each of Eva's boobs. Half star for some nice kills.
Old 08-23-14, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

The stories in the first film do not take place at the same time. Marv, Hartigan, and Dwight are never all seen at Kadie's at the same time. The scene where Marv and Hartigan are at the bar is a different time than when Marv and Dwight are at the bar. Hartigan's death is 5 years before Marv's, according to the timeline in the comics.

The events are not in chronological order. The new film occurs both before and after the first film.

In the First film, the entirety of Hartigan's Story takes place before any of the others. Marv's story starts 4 years after Hartigan's Ends. Dwight's story takes place after the majority of Marv's, but it occurs while he is on death row and before he is executed.

I haven't seen the new film yet, but Manute did not die in ADTKF in the comics.

Dwight's story in the new film takes place before his story in the first film, after Hartigan's and overlaps with Marv's.

Marv's story in the new film takes place before his and Dwight's story in the first film, but overlaps with Hartigan's

I think Nancy's story in the new film takes place after Hartigan's in the first film, but before Marv's and Dwight's.

I don't know when JGL's story takes place, as it doesn't exist in the comics (nor does Nancy's for that Matter).

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 08-23-14 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-23-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll be seeing this tomorrow in a big theater before they pull it and move it to a small hall.
Old 08-23-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I think Nancy's story in the new film takes place after Hartigan's in the first film, but before Marv's and Dwight's.

I don't know when JGL's story takes place, as it doesn't exist in the comics (nor does Nancy's for that Matter).
Thanks for that. I was flipping through the graphic novels to find "Johnny", the JGL character. I found this on wiki:
"Two original stories ("The Long Bad Night" and "Nancy's Last Dance") were created exclusively for the film written by Miller."
Not sure why he decided to create new material when there was still so much to draw from.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.