Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that tanked but later became hits: Were you there in the empty theater?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that tanked but later became hits: Were you there in the empty theater?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movies that tanked but later became hits: Were you there in the empty theater?

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The Iron Giant
I had a friend who wanted to get a group together and show up at the local multiplex in full KISS regalia the week Detroit Rock City opened, go up to the ticket booth ... and buy tickets to The Iron Giant.

We talked him out of it.
Old 04-22-14, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Movies that tanked but later became hits: Were you there in the empty theater?

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I had a friend who wanted to get a group together and show up at the local multiplex in full KISS regalia the week Detroit Rock City opened, go up to the ticket booth ... and buy tickets to The Iron Giant.

We talked him out of it.
Just think how much better this story would be if you'd actually done it--and had pictures to boot!
Old 04-22-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

This is Spinal Tap
My brother and I went to see it at a matinee and there was one other group of 3 guys in the theater. On the way out, it seemed as if they were not aware it was a parody.
Old 04-22-14, 11:24 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I saw the first Austin Powers in theaters. Though it didn't bomb, it wasn't a hit until it came to video, and the rest is history.
I think this is the perfect example (I also saw it theaters). For some reason, it didn't do well at the box office, but the response on DVD was so good that the studio greenlit a couple sequels.

As I recall, Austin Powers 2 made more money in it's opening weekend than the first film made in it's entire box office run. Prior to that, the "rule of thumb" for sequels was that they made about 80% of what the prior film pulled in.
Old 04-22-14, 11:40 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Swingers
Old 04-22-14, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Eddie and the Cruisers wasn't a hit until it was on VHS.
Actually it was HBO where it bacame a hit.

I will add Blade Runner, me and my buddy were the only two in the theater when I saw it when it opened.

The Thing only came to our Drive-In. That wasn't a good sign in our town.

Last edited by d2cheer; 04-22-14 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-22-14, 02:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Donnie Darko - not really became a hit, more 'cult' status - but yeah, opening day ... not a soul there. kind of odd and creepy
Old 04-22-14, 02:07 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Getting Even with Dad - no one else in the theater!
Old 04-22-14, 02:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

The only movie where I was the only person in theater was Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead.
Old 04-22-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I recall the opening weekend showing of The Big Lebowski being pretty well attended...in northern Kentucky, no less. It got a great reception, too.

The Shawshank Redemption attendance, however, was pretty sparse. A buddy and I were driving back from out west and went to see it somewhere in Wisconsin when we stopped for the night, which I'm pretty sure was on a Friday.

Similarly, there were maybe six of us in the theater for the opening weekends of The Usual Suspects, Dark City, and Equilibrium, although I'm not sure the latter two are considered hits now.
Old 04-22-14, 03:04 PM

I arrived a bit late to the opening night premiere of Uwe Boll's Postal, and they actually had to turn on the projector just for me. Obviously I was the only person in the theater for that initial showing, but it wouldn't surprise if I found out I was the only person to watch it all in that particular theater. I'm pretty sure it did get a very, very limited theatrical showing and the movie didn't become a hit (deservedly so), but I still find it funny that I was the only one there. Not really sure why I even went.
Old 04-22-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The only movies where I was the only one in the theater:

THE REF (1994)
DIGIMON THE MOVIE (2000)

Although I can't vouch that either became a hit later.

There was hardly anyone at SPEED RACER when I went to see it, but a few dudes sprinkled in as it played. One jerk came in in the middle and sat two seats away from me (in the back row) in a nearly empty theater and started to laugh and cheer at everything that happened, as if he'd been there all along. At some point I moved away to the other side of the row to get away from him.
Old 04-22-14, 03:38 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

came across this old thread while looking for something else.

thought it might be interesting...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...y-theatre.html
Old 04-22-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
The only movie where I was the only person in theater was Savini's remake of Night of the Living Dead.
That remains as one of my most favorite movie-going experiences. Saw it with a large, vocal crowd. The roof nearly went off when Ben ran over that zombie with his truck (Great introduction to his character, now that I think of it)

Others mentioned:
Tron
Boogie Nights
Pulp Fiction
-Saw this in it's Fall release. The box-office returns were obviously small by this time, but it was already a huge hit with the critics. Besides being a Palm D'or winner, it was the first movie that I ever saw get an "A+" by Owen Gleiberman (Back when I had an E-Weekly subscription)
Old 04-22-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Does Idiocracy count? Since it was barely released in theaters at all, it never had a chance to be a hit or a dud, although I'm guessing it wouldn't have done very well.
Old 04-22-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blade Runner
Dune
Office Space
Dredd

And I think these two may count - Big Trouble in Little China & To Live & Die in LA
Old 04-22-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

In choosing between Blast From the Past and Office Space to see in theaters (which my Grandfather was taking me to), I chose the former. Not the best choice, but I kind of liked it. Unfortunately, I didn't see Office Space until years later.
Old 04-22-14, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dredd.
Old 04-22-14, 06:18 PM
Suspended

When I was in I wanna say high school my girlfriend and I saw the movie Go and there weren't many people in the theater. I think i even felt her up while we were making out under the shirt boob touching. Oh, my awkward teenage years.
Old 04-23-14, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
Donnie Darko - not really became a hit, more 'cult' status - but yeah, opening day ... not a soul there. kind of odd and creepy
that one i think was dumped because it was post 9/11 & the ending didn't feel like a wider release
Old 04-23-14, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's see:

Tron
Earth Girls Are Easy
UHF
No Holds Barred (kind of a cult hit)
Old 04-23-14, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara

We talked him out of it.
That would have been fantastic. Or even better yet. Go in the KISS getup and see a chick flick.
Old 04-23-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

On this board in particular, I'm pretty sure like 60% of us saw Dredd, so it doesn't seem like a niche thing, even though I know it didn't do well.
Old 04-23-14, 11:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Tank Girl (1995)
Fish Tank (2009)
The Tanks are Coming (1951)
The Woman in the Septic Tank (2011)
Think Tank (2006)
Tank Force (1958)
Tank Battalion (1958)
Tank Commandos (1959)
Yank Tanks (2002)
Tanks a Million (1941)
Stop That Tank! (1942)
The Battle of the Ancre and the Advance of the Tanks (1917)
Four Tanks and a Healer (2011)
Tank on the Moon (2007)
7 More Day s in the Tank (2006)
Tank (1984)
Tanks (1942)
Old 04-23-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
came across this old thread while looking for something else.

thought it might be interesting...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...y-theatre.html
I just had to post on that thread, nothing like reviving a thread that has been dead for 11 years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.