Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
20.71%
42.14%
24.29%
6.43%
4.29%
1.43%
0.71%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Captain America: The Crimean Soldier
0%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-14, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by edstein
They could have left that scene out. It added absolutely nothing. Sorry now I stayed through all the credits.
Yeah, because it's not like the Russo clan have already confirmed they wanted to continue the Winter Soldier storyline, Sebastian Stan is contracted for at least seven more Marvel films, etc.
Old 04-06-14, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

I thought it was important for that character to want to know that information. Yeah, it wasn't a joke or slam bang moment. Nothing wrong with layering it in some character moment.
Old 04-06-14, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Can't believe I missed the tombstone gag. Also, it terrifies me that that movie turns 20 this year. Anyway, maybe I'll post my tl;dr full review which no one will read later, but overall, quite enjoyed this. A nice slight shakeup to the MCU, even if it's only the illusion of change like all superhero flicks. While having the directors of You, Me, and Dupree on didn't inspire confidence, they acquit themselves well, in spite of a bit too much flash cutting and occasional shaky cam. Looked like some parkour, and most of the fight scenes were nicely choreographed, if a little cut-happy at time. Nice to see Fury get an action scene of his own. It feels more like it's about SHIELD than Cap himself, although the rapport between him and Scarlett worked well, and she's sexier than hell. Toby Jones absolutely stole his brief bit. Feels more like a Tom Clancy-type spy thriller than a straight-up superhero movie, which felt like a nice change of pace, even if most of the twists and turns were predictable. Redford brings a wonderfully classy presence and is a great villain, and most of the fireworks are fairly tasteful by blockbuster standards, even if it does have the requisite big FX finale. Lots of fun and another solid addition to the MCU canon, Feige continues to fire on all thrusters and I continue to hate my life for getting out of school years ago and not trying to get some sort of real film industry job like a directionless millennial. Not that I would've been able to anyway. Having the central henchman be Roger's old friend was a nice touch, and he was cool throwing down with his mechanical arm. Nice reference for comics fans too with Batroc, Strange, etc. Sets the bar impressively high for the two non-Marvel Studios Marvel movies to come. Nice way of giving it a different flavor than the pulpy WWII adventure of Johnston's first one, though not having Hugo Weaving around to ham it up was a shame. This whole franchise really has been a fan's dream come true so far.
Old 04-06-14, 11:13 PM
Banned

Dude. Paragraphs.
Old 04-06-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
But the bad guy better be Red Skull!
oh please no

As much as I love the MU movies the one thing that has truly been lacking in all of them is a strong lead villain ... Loki was good but more of a backseat villain with others doing his deeds
I'm hoping Ultron (my favorite Avengers baddie) or Thanos finally brings us that great threat

Skull was a worthless antagonist in the first, I'd rather Zola was the heavy
If anything didn't the file Cap got indicate Barron Zemo would be the villain?
Old 04-06-14, 11:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tons of references throughout the movie. There was also a Star Wars one ("You may fire when ready"), a tease of Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange is one of the insight targets), and did anyone else notice Black Widow had a necklace with a tiny arrow on it?
Old 04-06-14, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
and did anyone else notice Black Widow had a necklace with a tiny arrow on it?
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

BTW, tumblr-chicks are freaking out that Natasha has an arrow (Love for Hawkeye) on her necklace.
Old 04-06-14, 11:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Right, I didn't read the whole thread. Sorry!
Old 04-07-14, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 485 Likes on 355 Posts

They could have left that scene out. It added absolutely nothing. Sorry now I stayed through all the credits.
I loved that scene. It really sets up the next movie nicely.
Old 04-07-14, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Edit: I guess The Russo Brothers directed a bunch of Community episodes.
They did. Strangely not the paintball episodes.
Old 04-07-14, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

That scene to me was way more important than the kids in the cage.
Old 04-07-14, 06:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That scene to me was way more important than the kids in the cage.
I also felt that. Though it was the most "boring" one in comparison, visually.

I like where both scenes were placed though. The Twins scene was important where it was to put some future mystery and intrigue to the aftermath of taking down SHIELD. Plus a tease into Avengers 2. The after credits bit is important for the character. And his future.

Was the twins bit directed by Whedon or the Russos? Just wondering who did it.
Old 04-07-14, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Tons of references throughout the movie. There was also a Star Wars one ("You may fire when ready"), a tease of Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange is one of the insight targets), and did anyone else notice Black Widow had a necklace with a tiny arrow on it?
Also a nice nod to Paul Newman with Redford opens his fridge.
Old 04-07-14, 08:06 AM

Received 4,691 Likes on 3,179 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I also felt that. Though it was the most "boring" one in comparison, visually.

I like where both scenes were placed though. The Twins scene was important where it was to put some future mystery and intrigue to the aftermath of taking down SHIELD. Plus a tease into Avengers 2. The after credits bit is important for the character. And his future.

Was the twins bit directed by Whedon or the Russos? Just wondering who did it.
Whedon.
Old 04-07-14, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the movie yesterday, and loved it. Cap and friends versus the entirety of SHIELD! A few quick observations about the movie and Agents of SHIELD:

- Sad to see that Agent Sitwell is Hydra. I rewatched last week's Agents of SHIELD show and noticed that he was called away on a mission to the hijacked ship. Nice touch to retain continuity. I wonder how Coulson will react to his buddy being a phony.

- The TV show will obviously be severely impacted by this movie, but I wonder if it will take a few weeks to catch up to give the audience a chance to see the movie. Maybe a few episodes take place during the events of CA2. Then, they can address the collapse of the SHIELD infrastructure.

- When Zola appeared, I did not think Ultron, rather the Clairvoyant. While I think the Clairvoyant storyline will be tied into the Hydra takeover, I do not think Zola was the Clairvoyant. I think it is still a person (like the teased Victoria Hand).

- Sad that Coulson may never get his confrontation with Nick Fury to find his answers.

- I did like that Garry Shandling's character returned and was also Hydra. As already pointed out, it adds a mind-blowing new perspective to IM2.

- Nice touch resolving the relationship with Peggy and Steve. Sharon's scenes were very limited, but that's what CA3 is for.

- While someone mentioned Stark Tower in the targeting scene... I did not see anyone mention that It no longer said "STARK" at the top, rather had the Avengers "A" logo. Is it officially Avengers Tower?

- Falcon was great. Good job introducing a new and valuable ally.

- I think I heard that Whedon directed the Strucker / twins scene.
Old 04-07-14, 08:09 AM

Generally I liked it -- a little dry, but I had the some reaction to parts of CA:TFA. For a sequel did a really nice job of winding down threads from three films -- the first film, IM2 and The Avengers -- and not feeling bloated.

Liked:
  • Leaving CA as the straight man to other characters quips -- making him one of the few adults of the Marvel movie universe
  • The reworking of the 'bodiless' Zola -- much better than an android with TV in its belly.
  • Batroc The Leaper as a serviceable minor villain.
  • Had big, arching plot points, but still felt small at times.
  • Jenny Agutter kicking butt.
  • Felt like it gave everyone something to do, which is hard to do in sequels -- kinda felt CA was short-changed at points in the film in favor of Black Widow, but that's minor.
  • The 'age of miracles' substitution for mutants in regards to Quicksilver and The Scarlet Witch

Can't wait to see the Stark-ified version of Falcon.
Old 04-07-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Does anyone think in these stand-alones that there should be a few throwaway lines on why the others can't help?
Old 04-07-14, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak
- I think I heard that Whedon directed the Strucker / twins scene.
Generally that's how post-credits have worked, incoming director sets up his own film: Branagh did the discovery of Thor's hammer in IM2, Whedon did the Loki reveal in Thor, and Gunn did The Collector scene in Thor:TDW.
Old 04-07-14, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Can't believe no one saw the little arrow on Black Widow's necklace!

Also: has anyone done any kind of analysis on all the names that were visible (or hinted at) on the Targeting List? I remember distinctly seeing the President (Matthew Ellis?) and what I'm assuming was Tony Stark (at Stark tower), but I'm sure they threw in a ton of Easter Eggs as well.
Old 04-07-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

Does anyone think in these stand-alones that there should be a few throwaway lines on why the others can't help?
I think that's just the genre. Superman could come in and find the Joker in 2 seconds of The Dark Knight, but then you wouldn't have a movie.

Plus things were happening pretty fast in Winter Soldier.
Old 04-07-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Also: has anyone done any kind of analysis on all the names that were visible (or hinted at) on the Targeting List? I remember distinctly seeing the President (Matthew Ellis?) and what I'm assuming was Tony Stark (at Stark tower), but I'm sure they threw in a ton of Easter Eggs as well.
Maria Hill, Stephen Strange, Tony Stark, Avengers, and a couple of unknowns.
Old 04-07-14, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
When she's onscreen I am not checking out her jewelry. But glad there are some that can point it out
Old 04-07-14, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nah. It's a big world and people are dealing with their own problems. I don't think it's necessarily helpful to run a laundry list of characters and why they're not there.
Old 04-07-14, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, seems strange no one would have called them in for this.
Old 04-07-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the first Cap but wasn't too impressed with the sequel. I was bored at times and just wasn't into the plot or The Winter Soldier as the villain. The action was top notch and so were the effects, but overall the movie just didn't make an impact on me like the first one did. Phase 2 has been really disappointing for me. Iron Man 3 was extremely underwhelming and Thor 2 was garbage. Cap 2 felt very average. Hopefully Avengers 2 is strong and we get a solo Hulk outing with Ruffalo at some point in the near future.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.