Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Protector 2 (Tony Jaa's latest) -- 2014

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Protector 2 (Tony Jaa's latest) -- 2014

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: The Protector 2 (Tony Jaa's latest) -- 2014

I knew this would be bad but I had to see for myself. Awful, just awful.

What's with the all the wire work Tony? I thought your trademark was supposed to be that you don't need wires and CGI to make a great action movie. Speaking of the CGI, I've seen better in movies from 20-25 years ago. The scene where they are fighting around fire comes to mind.

Bunch of other things not to like:
-RZA. Goddamnit RZA, stay out of martial arts movies. Great, you're a big fan of martial arts films yourself, but anything you've been involved with has been awful.
-the scene when Tony and the black dude are fighting on the train tracks and electricity is shooting from their feet and hands. Also, the use of the light-saber swoosh sound effect during this scene was so lame.
-the doofus who had electrical clamps in his hair. Was that supposed to be funny?
-the gang who chased Jaa around on the rooftops of skyscrapers on their sport bikes.
-that idiot "comic relief" sidekick of his. Am I really going to have to see this guy in every Tony Jaa movie?

I will say there are two things I liked. The black guy (who's an unknown) that Jaa fights throughout the movie is clearly a talented martial artist. Hope to see him again. It was also cool seeing the actress from Chocolate, she is also very talented.

It is really disappointing (but I can't say surprising) to see Jaa make a movie like this, that's so heavily reliant on wire work and CGI. Hopefully this is just a misstep rather than a sign of things to come. He needs to get away from Thailand and start working with more established action directors.
Old 12-18-14, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

This was meant to be a comedy, right?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wGcELombmv8?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-18-14, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

God. I hate Tony Jaa. He's pretty really DTV style now, eh?
Old 12-18-14, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed the protector, but that video makes the sequel look ridiculous.
Old 11-28-16, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finally decided to watch this on Netflix. Holy fuck. This thing is so fucking shitty. Jaa somehow became a worse actor even among action actor standards.

I'm not even done w/ it yet but I remember watching that shit CGI vid up top. Oooooof.

I'm only.... exactly 60 minutes in....44 more shit filled minutes to go. Jesus. Even the action is bad, not sure if it gets better.Not even the music matches the action going on. It's like... club music w/ slow action going on.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 11-28-16 at 04:19 PM.