Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Box Office July 12–14 — Robots vs. Monsters vs. Grown Ups vs. Minions

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Box Office July 12–14 — Robots vs. Monsters vs. Grown Ups vs. Minions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Box Office July 12–14 — Robots vs. Monsters vs. Grown Ups vs. Minions

I own IMAX stock.
Old 07-14-13, 04:32 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I own IMAX stock.
Will you please buy enough shares, go to shareholders meeting, and convince the company to reopen the IMAX screen that closed at Newport, KY? :wink:

Kidding aside, we have a decent sized lieMAX, but the original IMAX theater closed a couple of years or so before the IMAX boom. The irony is it is only a few hundred feet away from the old one. What a waste of a perfectly good screen.
Old 07-14-13, 04:36 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I doubt it. PR is making more in IMAX than MoS would have at this point.
And PR looked superb on IMAX. It's not going to make a killing on the format, or anywhere else domestically.

Should look great on BD as it should fill up the entire screen due to the aspect ratio. And an extended version please.
Old 07-14-13, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fitprod
No one... Not even Disney.

Well, I take that back... There might be a Marvel property that he might fit, if the want to take the risk. I'd like to see his turn on Ghost Rider, but they may be too afraid to go hard R with any of the Marvel characters now... (Punisher, Blade, Ghost Rider, etc.)

fitprod
I think he'd fit Dr. Strange the most. I think he's even a fan of him from what I remember.
Old 07-14-13, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, he did say he was interested in Justice League Dark. I think he's gearing up to direct the pilot for "The Strain" and then that haunted house flick right after.
Old 07-14-13, 05:01 PM
Banned

Also I don't think WB wants to lose him to the competition.
Old 07-14-13, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own IMAX stock.
I'm sorry.
Old 07-14-13, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm sorry.
Hey, at least it's not RealD stock.

fitprod
Old 07-14-13, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Also I don't think WB wants to lose him to the competition.
They don't want to lose a director who's made ONE financially successful film to the competition?

No wonder WB's doing so badly.
Old 07-14-13, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'm sorry.
It's been doing great and I bought it when it was really cheap. It's all about compound interest and dollar cost averaging.
Old 07-14-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, this was a Legendary production, and they footed the majority of the bill and now they're over at Universal. We'll see how it goes. I forgot who was releasing that haunted house flick, though.
Old 07-14-13, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
They don't want to lose a director who's made ONE financially successful film to the competition?

Ease up.

WB has GDT for their DC film. I don't think it'd look good for them if he possibly did that film for them and then went Marvel. Granted I'm not sure if it'd entirely matter cuz this is film and not comics. In comics it was a big deal at times when someone would do that. In film, probably less so but still.
Old 07-14-13, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo

There's more to creating a successful film than getting a "hot" director. That's why unique directors get all the work they can handle. You take those with potential and talent, and then gamble with them. Producers look to create a marriage of art, entertainment, and business.

Same thing that producers do for musicians. And publishers do for authors.
Old 07-14-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is GDT really that popular of a director outside of the geek crowd? Blade 2, Hellboy 1 & 2, & Pacific Rim aren't exacly films most of the movie goers are lining up for. Never saw Pan's Labrinth.
Old 07-14-13, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by resinrats
Is GDT really that popular of a director outside of the geek crowd? Blade 2, Hellboy 1 & 2, & Pacific Rim aren't exacly films most of the movie goers are lining up for. Never saw Pan's Labrinth.
Watch his Spanish language stuff if you can. Pan's Labyrinth is a masterpiece.

Cronos and Devil's Backbone are great, too.
Old 07-14-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

He's definitely not popular at all outside of movie/geeks. Most people wouldn't recognize his name.
Old 07-14-13, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Is GDT really that popular of a director outside of the geek crowd? Blade 2, Hellboy 1 & 2, & Pacific Rim aren't exactly films most of the movie goers are lining up for. Never saw Pan's Labrinth.
No. But that's not terribly important. There's only 5-or-so celebrity directors out there. He's very well known and well received by filmmakers.

I think he's just a movie or two away from making a grand sci-fi movie that gets received on the level of Cameron or Nolan's stuff.
Old 07-14-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I didn't think much of Pan's Labyrinth as a movie but the visuals were fantastic.

To note, Warner was only on the line for 25% of the budget for Pacific Rim, roughly $47.5m plus advertising costs.
Old 07-15-13, 02:32 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally saw The Heat with my wife tonight in a surprisingly packed theater. Loved it, I'm pretty sure this will have a sequel (if it hasn't already been announced) considering the profit/cost ratio it's currently enjoying.
Old 07-15-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sort of fascinated that Pacific Rim got greenlit at all. It seems to have a potential audience of anime and mecha fans and kaiju eiga and tokusatsu fans, which gives it a grand total audience of what, 57 people? It was ballsy of the studio to greenlight it as a big tentpole movie, but I think this is sadly the end of Guillermo del Toro's shot at mainstream popularity, he's probably never getting more than $60 million or so ever again. Hopefully it'll do well overseas, particularly Japan, and hopefully they didn't sell the overseas rights ala Northern Lights/The Golden Compass. Hideo Kojima-san was apparently tweeting about it, which is cool. Exactly why they chose to make this a big summer thing and put it up against some big family movies and comedies, I don't know. I'm going tonight though, and I'm super excited. This has fanboy cult-favorite written all over it, I'm betting it'll build and audience on Blu-Ray, but whether that'll be enough to cover what the studio is bound to lose on it, I doubt. Sad thing is, this looks like everything that those hideous Transformers films should've been, and financially, it'll be anything but.
Old 07-15-13, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

The movie has been doing very well in the Asian territories it has opened in so far. Worldwide the gross is at nearly $91.3m.

To note, the movie is more of Legendary Pictures' than Warners choice. While they're a co-production team, Legendary footed 75% of the production costs (they can do that since they also co-produced the 3 recent Batman movies, Man of Steel, Inception and the Hangover movies). However, if Pacific Rim were to bomb as bad as Jack the Giant Slayer they would be in trouble, that doesn't seem likely though.
Old 07-15-13, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

It's been doing great and I bought it when it was really cheap. It's all about compound interest and dollar cost averaging.
I own it too. Up 5% today in a flat market. Want to cash out and take all our profits and buy a bunch of Pacific Rim tickets?
Old 07-15-13, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I own it too. Up 5% today in a flat market. Want to cash out and take all our profits and buy a bunch of Pacific Rim tickets?
Woo-hoo! Let's get some fur coats, too!
Old 07-15-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
The movie has been doing very well in the Asian territories it has opened in so far. Worldwide the gross is at nearly $91.3m.

To note, the movie is more of Legendary Pictures' than Warners choice. While they're a co-production team, Legendary footed 75% of the production costs (they can do that since they also co-produced the 3 recent Batman movies, Man of Steel, Inception and the Hangover movies). However, if Pacific Rim were to bomb as bad as Jack the Giant Slayer they would be in trouble, that doesn't seem likely though.
And MOS had already made back it's budget due to licensing even before the film opened. MOS's box office take is all profit. It's a nice buffer.
Old 07-15-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I'm sort of fascinated that Pacific Rim got greenlit at all. It seems to have a potential audience of anime and mecha fans and kaiju eiga and tokusatsu fans, which gives it a grand total audience of what, 57 people? It was ballsy of the studio to greenlight it as a big tentpole movie, but I think this is sadly the end of Guillermo del Toro's shot at mainstream popularity, he's probably never getting more than $60 million or so ever again. Hopefully it'll do well overseas, particularly Japan, and hopefully they didn't sell the overseas rights ala Northern Lights/The Golden Compass. Hideo Kojima-san was apparently tweeting about it, which is cool. Exactly why they chose to make this a big summer thing and put it up against some big family movies and comedies, I don't know. I'm going tonight though, and I'm super excited. This has fanboy cult-favorite written all over it, I'm betting it'll build and audience on Blu-Ray, but whether that'll be enough to cover what the studio is bound to lose on it, I doubt. Sad thing is, this looks like everything that those hideous Transformers films should've been, and financially, it'll be anything but.

It got greenlit when Mountains of Madness didn't. GDT came onboard and did it as a strict work-for-hire piece before getting more involved, as I understand it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.