Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)
10.68%
8.74%
20.39%
19.42%
11.65%
9.71%
6.80%
3.88%
2.91%
2.91%
2.91%
Man of Steely Convictions
0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Originally Posted by Brack
I just meant that reversing the spin of the planet wouldn't actually turn back time. It was done in a way that was easy to understand for the audience. No one misunderstood that he was turning back time. It was blatantly obvious he could do it, as implied by his father.
For me, I didn't think it was stupid because of the science behind it, just the fact that he did it and that was the climax/ultimate solution to everything.

In fact, even now I don't think the science ever really bothered me enough to think "that wouldn't work in real life!" (Because comic book movie)
Old 04-20-14, 10:53 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

But it wasn't the climax, just part of it, the tail end. It was an emotional response for Clark. He was able to save the woman he loved, and all the others. Yeah, it wasn't ever brought up in the sequels, but so what? It worked for the situation/that particular movie. He had the ability to "cheat", and he took it.
Old 04-20-14, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But it wasn't the climax, just part of it, the tail end. It was an emotional response for Clark. He was able to save the woman he loved, and all the others. Yeah, it wasn't ever brought up in the sequels, but so what? It worked for the situation/that particular movie. He had the ability to "cheat", and he took it.
Sounds like the climax to me. But that's the thing, I didn't think it worked for the situation and movie. It's fine that you did, but I agree with DaveyJoe that it was one of the dumber moments in a comic book movie. This and throwing the S shield.
Old 04-20-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Sounds like the climax to me. But that's the thing, I didn't think it worked for the situation and movie. It's fine that you did, but I agree with DaveyJoe that it was one of the dumber moments in a comic book movie. This and throwing the S shield.
Let's not forget the mind erasing kiss from Superman II.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Didn't you know, it's clear that the only reasons people dislike MoS is because it's not Reeve. That's only argument that keeps getting brought up. Never mind the horrid color palette, subdued score, dark & serious tone, lack of chemistry amongst the cast, etc. It's not Donner & Reeve so it sucks. We are all wrong and only enjoy Superman for nostalgia's sake.
I guess if those are complaints you have about the film that's your preference. I still think a lot of it does boil down to drawing comparisons to the Reeve films though. Like I say when you read so many complaints and a lot of them relate back to how it wasn't like this or that it's obvious people are a bit hung up on those films.

It's very easy actually. SR was too nostalgic and MoS is too serious. Somewhere in the middle of the two is the sweet spot.
Maybe a middle ground would have been better but I think in some ways Superman being such a boy scout was the reason why the character was somewhat declining in popularity over time. I think that's why people wanted a different slightly more serious take on the character. Maybe the next film could throw in a few more light-hearted moments though.
Old 04-20-14, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Let's not forget the mind erasing kiss from Superman II.
Which was taken from the comic books.
Old 04-20-14, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
Which was taken from the comic books.
Right but even so it doesn't make it any less corny.
Old 04-20-14, 11:38 PM

If you can explain why it's dumb, I'm game. Otherwise it's calling it dumb for dumb sake.
Old 04-20-14, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As stated before. The difference in MoS' Supes and Donner's Supes, quality aside. Is that the latter to inspire others. MoS didn't do that. It was just visual. No soul.
Old 04-20-14, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
As stated before. The difference in MoS' Supes and Donner's Supes, quality aside. Is that the latter to inspire others. MoS didn't do that. It was just visual. No soul.
I guess I disagree. To me Man of Steel built up the story of Clark/Kal/Superman finding his place in our world and coming to terms with himself. It brought a humanization to the character that I don't think was seen as much before. Superman to me growing up always seemed like this unrealistic boy scout who always did the right thing. Superman in Man of Steel was conflicted about what he had to do and how his choices would impact not only himself but the people around him. The film maybe showed it's soul in a different way but I think it had some soul to it.
Old 04-20-14, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If you can explain why it's dumb, I'm game. Otherwise it's calling it dumb for dumb sake.
DaveyJoe already did that, you just disagreed with it. Like many other instances in the old Superman movies, I dislike that it's a power he has that seems to come out of nowhere to save the day when there's never any indication that he could do in the rest of the movie, let alone never uses it again in the rest of the movies. I get that Superman in the comics of those days had all sorts of wacky powers (i've read plenty of those Cracked or Buzzfeed articles), but that's where some of the nostalgia argument kicks in as today it comes off as pretty silly to me.

Heck, to me Superman being able to travel back in time in itself is dumb for dumb sake
Old 04-21-14, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

The thing is I know that I'm coming off as a Reeve Superman hater but I'm really not. I don't particularly love them and I do think they have aged badly but they have their moments. What bothers me more about them is the fans of those films who seem to put them on a ridiculously high pedestal and act like nothing that gets made after them will ever be as good because it's different.
I don't know if you remember Superman 3 & 4??? Those movies sucked balls, and about 99% of Superman Fans like me from that era hated those movies. So I don't know how you can say we are not being objective on the Christopher Reeve Superman Films, when most of us can't stand 1/2 of them! I will even say that Man of Steel and Superman Returns are better then Superman 3 & 4.

That is why the nostalgia argument rarely holds weight to me, because a good movie is a good movie. The Christopher Nolan Batman movies were clearly better then the Burton/Schumacher Batman movies, even though I grew up with the Burton/Schumacher movies. I really liked Michael Keaton as Batman, but once I saw Christian Bale play him, he won me over in about 5 minutes.

I used to hear the same crap because I didn't like the Star Wars Prequels as much as the Original movies. because I was blinded by nostalgia. Its real simple: Man of Steel and the Star Wars Prequels are not as good as Superman: The Movie and the Star Wars Originals.

Now are you going to tell me I am nostalgic that I like Godfather I & II more then Godfather III?
Old 04-21-14, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Maybe a middle ground would have been better but I think in some ways Superman being such a boy scout was the reason why the character was somewhat declining in popularity over time. I think that's why people wanted a different slightly more serious take on the character. Maybe the next film could throw in a few more light-hearted moments though.
It can still be serious with some light hearted moments. What we got was basically the Dark Knight in a red cape. That's too far a departure, IMO.
Old 04-21-14, 08:17 AM

DaveyJoe already did that, you just disagreed with it. Like many other instances in the old Superman movies, I dislike that it's a power he has that seems to come out of nowhere to save the day when there's never any indication that he could do in the rest of the movie, let alone never uses it again in the rest of the movies. I get that Superman in the comics of those days had all sorts of wacky powers (i've read plenty of those Cracked or Buzzfeed articles), but that's where some of the nostalgia argument kicks in as today it comes off as pretty silly to me.

Heck, to me Superman being able to travel back in time in itself is dumb for dumb sake
It's not a matter of opinion. Supes dad said he could change history. Of course it's a cop out, no one is denying that. The idea of going back in time to save the woman he loves has less to do with being a cop out to the story and more about Supes caught up in the moment and playing God. Everybody can relate to what was going on emotionally. Logic had nothing to do with that scene.
Old 04-21-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Still can't for the life of me figure out how he could turn back time and stop both missles and casually save Lois the second time when he could only do one of those things the first time.
Old 04-21-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

It's not a matter of opinion. Supes dad said he could change history. Of course it's a cop out, no one is denying that. The idea of going back in time to save the woman he loves has less to do with being a cop out to the story and more about Supes caught up in the moment and playing God. Everybody can relate to what was going on emotionally. Logic had nothing to do with that scene.
You're right, logic had nothing to do with that scene. I'm impressed that people get hung up on the tornado scene from Man of Steel and give Superman a pass because the turn back time scene wasn't supposed to be about logic.
Old 04-21-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have to agree with Synder...

Maane Khatchatourian
@MaaneKhat
Zack Snyder took a lot of flack for depicting mass deaths and the destruction of Metropolis in last summer’s “Man of Steel.”
As he gears up to shoot the pic’s sequel, the still-untitled “Batman-Superman” movie, the director told Forbes that he’s merely depicting the “real world we live in.” Snyder said that fans are clinging to the more squeaky-clean Superman as depicted by Christopher Reeve in the iconic movies, instead of the comic book version of Superman, who wreaked massive damage.

“The thing I was surprised about in response to Superman was how everyone clings to the Christopher Reeve version of Superman,” he told Forbes. “How tightly they cling to those ideas, not really the comic book version, but more the movie version. … If you really analyze the comic book version of Superman, he’s killed, he’s done all the things. I guess the rules that people associate with Superman in the movie world are not the rules that really apply to him in the comic book world because those rules are different. He’s done all the things and more that we’ve shown him doing, right?”

Like in “Watchmen,” which he directed in 2009, Snyder said he wanted to depict the true nature of violence rather than the sanitized, unrealistic version.

“It’s just funny to see people really taking it personally … because I made (Superman) real, you know, I made him feel or made consequences (in) the world,” he said. “I felt like, it was the same thing in ‘Watchmen.’ We really wanted to show it wasn’t just like they thought, like the PG-13 version where everyone just gets up and they’re fine. I really wanted to show the violence is real, people get killed or get hurt and it’s not fun or funny.”
“Batman-Superman” will face off against “Captain America 3” in theaters on May 6, 2016. The movie stars Henry Cavill as Superman, Ben Affleck as Batman, Jesse Eisenberg, Jeremy Irons and Holly Hunter.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/za...n-1201159883/#
Old 04-21-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 176 Likes on 124 Posts

A building collapses and Perry White et al avoid certain death by merely ducking around the corner. #mosrealism
Old 04-21-14, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Of course it's a matter of opinion. This is the third time you brought up how "emotional" it's supposed to be. I already get that, you don't have to keep trying to explain it since it doesn't justify anything. To me, it's still stupid that Superman being sad is a good enough excuse for him to get away with pulling some random power out of his ass. If Batman invented a machine that turns back time just because Rachel dies in The Dark Knight, it would be pretty fucking stupid too. He doesn't get a pass because he's emotional.
Old 04-21-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Turning back time is absurd BUT I much prefer it coming out of nowhere than taking the Bond approach where the viewer is introduced to new gadgets early and then we're just waiting until he breaks them out one-by-one.
Old 04-21-14, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course it's a matter of opinion. This is the third time you brought up how "emotional" it's supposed to be. I already get that, you don't have to keep trying to explain it since it doesn't justify anything. To me, it's still stupid that Superman being sad is a good enough excuse for him to get away with pulling some random power out of his ass. If Batman invented a machine that turns back time just because Rachel dies in The Dark Knight, it would be pretty fucking stupid too. He doesn't get a pass because he's emotional.
If Batman did build a time machine in The Dark Knight it still wouldn't be the dumbest thing that takes place during the film.
Old 04-21-14, 12:30 PM

The matter of opinion it is not. He always had the ability to change the course of history. His dad said it was forbidden, but he just didn't give a shit. Watch the movie again if you don't believe me. Here's the clip if it makes it easier:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TjgsnWtBQm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-21-14, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
You're right, logic had nothing to do with that scene. I'm impressed that people get hung up on the tornado scene from Man of Steel and give Superman a pass because the turn back time scene wasn't supposed to be about logic.
Emotion trumped logic, that's the whole point of the scene. I give a pass to both. I like both Superman: The Movie, Superman II, and Man of Steel. I just think the former movies had more going on for them than MoS. Kind of disappointed they have to throw Batman into the mix so soon, because MoS2 could be great on its own.
Old 04-21-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Superman (at the time) in the comics was able to travel back in time as well, right? I mean, it wasn't necessarily the same visual as the Earth spinning backwards, but he was insanely overpowered before Crisis and Byrne's take depowered him.

That bus scene still makes me mad. And having recently been in the Frozen thread, where a lot of people are making fun of the parents for supressing their kid, isn't that what Ma and Pa Kent basically did to Clark? Pa basically tells him that maybe he shouldn't save people, if it exposes him (if I'm remembering this wrong, feel free to correct). That he does eventually expose himself for the good of humanity (mainly because he really likes Lois) kinda flies in the face of Pa's advice.
Old 04-21-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
It's "fairytale logic" that is tonally consistent with the villains plan to create a new coastline by impacting the SA fault line.

Viewed from an adult perspective now I would say the big weakness of it is that there is no implied cost or unintended consequence associated with it. At the very least it would have been better to see him fall to earth exhausted and drained, rather than hale and hearty with a jokey interaction with Lois.
This is also where they should have made it explicit that this action directly resulted in the release of Zod and company. They could have further driven that home with dialogue from Jor-el before he gives up his powers that "every thing you do has ramifications for other people".
Old 04-21-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The matter of opinion it is not. He always had the ability to change the course of history. His dad said it was forbidden, but he just didn't give a shit. Watch the movie again if you don't believe me. Here's the clip if it makes it easier:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TjgsnWtBQm0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
You sound like Yoda, I don't even know what you mean. Anyway, I'm aware of what Jor El says and still don't think it justifies or makes the ability any less silly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.