Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

are criterions for douche-bags

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

are criterions for douche-bags

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: are criterions for douche-bags

Well, since 99% of the movies they put out have only been heard of by, like, 12 people....yeah...they are.
Old 06-12-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Sondheim
Welcome to the world of collectors - any label with spine numbers is going to inspire that sort of thing in a certain segment of the population. Personally speaking, there are a few labels that I used to "cultishly" collect (Criterion, Masters of Cinema, Second Run, Fox Noir, etc.), but nowadays I'm making far fewer blind buys. (Most of Criterion's recent releases have been films I've already seen anyways.)

I think one of the things Criterion (and certain other boutique labels) has done well is marketing itself as a "curated collection of some of the world's greatest films" or whatever. To many, especially those who are first getting into "art films," a Criterion release is like getting a recommendation from a trusted film professor or a film buff friend. Of course, Criterion, as great as they often are, has released its fair share of duds and films that aren't important at all - but the point is that they do a good job of marketing themselves as "the film school" label.
That's a valid point. Some see it differently, but my perspective is that I only buy movies I like. I know what I like, I know what I don't like, and I wouldn't buy a DVD/BR merely because it's being released by a well-regarded label. If it's a film that is unknown to me and sounds intriguing, I'll give it a look, which might lead to a purchase.
I have probably about a dozen - give or take - Criterion DVDs and LDs.
Old 06-13-13, 12:18 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't buy a lot of Criterions, but I watch a lot of them on Hulu+.
Old 06-13-13, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 985 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Well, since 99% of the movies they put out have only been heard of by, like, 12 people....yeah...they are.
So if someone is familiar with a movie that you are not, that makes them a douche bag?
Old 06-13-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
So if someone is familiar with a movie that you are not, that makes them a douche bag?
You just got added to the Spottedfeather ignore list.

Welcome, friend.
Old 06-13-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Own a couple of hundred.

Here's a picture of me :

Old 06-13-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't know about being a douche-bag but chances are if someone owns a fair amount of Criterions they're a bit of a film snob.
Old 06-13-13, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I don't know about being a douche-bag but chances are if someone owns a fair amount of Criterions they're a bit of a film snob.
Depends. You can own a fair amount and they can all be certified masterpieces from the great directors (Hitchcock, Kurasawa), or you can own a bunch of obscure ones that nobody has heard of.
Old 06-13-13, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

What if they own a lot of mainstream films as well...does that still make them a snob?
Old 06-13-13, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think if you own a lot of criterions then you are definitely a film snob.

on another note, I think if you post this thread, then you are a douchebag.
Old 06-13-13, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Depends. You can own a fair amount and they can all be certified masterpieces from the great directors (Hitchcock, Kurasawa), or you can own a bunch of obscure ones that nobody has heard of.
Originally Posted by Jaymole
What if they own a lot of mainstream films as well...does that still make them a snob?
That's why I said "fair amount" because there are several "mainstream" releases, the Wes Anderson flicks, the Michael Bay flicks and others. Also, to clarify, I'm only referring to the DVD/BD catalog, not the Laserdiscs. Chances are if you own more than 7 or so you're a bit of a snob just by virtue of knowing about the catalog enough to collect the films included.

Just by being someone who cares enough to seek these films out, learn about them and collect them you have to have a certain emotional connection and knowledge about them and generally the people that fit into that category are (even if it's just maybe a little) a snob.

Also, this isn't an indictment of these types of people, I would consider myself one.
Old 06-13-13, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still don't understand this mentality that if a mass audience hasn't heard of a particular movie, then that must mean it's only for douche-bags or snobs, or whoever. Like anyone else, I have my old favorites that I go back to again and again, but as movie lovers, shouldn't it be exciting to discover something new and unknown?

One personal example I would point to is The Red Shoes. This isn't exactly an obscure movie, but it's one I would say of which the general 21st century movie going public isn't aware. I remember I used to browse through the Criterion catalog that used to come packaged with their dvds looking for something to catch my interest and I would constantly pass over The Red Shoes, because a) I had never heard of it, and b) why would I be interested in a movie about ballet from the 1940's? Well, around the time of it's restoration and subsequent blu-ray release a few years ago I checked it out on Netflix and I LOVED it. I would definitely put it in my personal top 50, and maybe even my top 25. Not only that, but it introduced me to Powell & Pressburger, Jack Cardiff, and Anton Walbrook (among others) and gave me a new appreciation for the 3 strip technicolor process.

I guess the point of all of this is that this story is just one of many that I have and that you never know what you might discover when trying something new. The idea that there's some unknown/unseen (by me anyways) masterpiece out there that may one day become an all-time favorite of mine is really cool. I'm grateful that there are companies like Criterion/Olive/Masters of Cinema/Twilight Time/Kino/etc. that release some of the more "obscure" stuff, because otherwise I'd probably never see them. If all of that makes me a douche bag, or a film snob, then just call me Snobby McDouche.
Old 06-13-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you own The Rock, Armageddon, and Robocop, you are without question a film snob.
Old 06-13-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I still don't understand this mentality that if a mass audience hasn't heard of a particular movie, then that must mean it's only for douche-bags or snobs, or whoever. Like anyone else, I have my old favorites that I go back to again and again, but as movie lovers, shouldn't it be exciting to discover something new and unknown?
I don't understand that mentality either. Luckily, that's not what I said.
Old 06-13-13, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I'm a film snob...and get laid on a regular basis. FYI.
Old 06-13-13, 03:12 PM

Thinking about it more, to me it's kind of hard to define what a film snob is. I think it comes down to someone who is very vocal about their love for movies and articulates that in a passionate manner that some may construe as arrogant or prickly. Like I said it's kind of hard for me to "vocalize" it. I'm sure someone else can do a better job with that.

I love Seven Samurai and Yojimbo and several others that are considered classic Criterions but also Die Hard (which is hardly considered fine art) is one of my favorite movies. I still consider myself a snob but it's difficult to define.
Old 06-13-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

*Jules eats caviar off his Criterion This is Spinal tap DVD.*
Old 06-13-13, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm a film snob...and get laid on a regular basis. FYI.
I'm a film snob and I never get laid.

Actually I think to be a snob you have to not just be all about obscure criterions and arthouse films, but you must also reject blockbusters and mainstream movies and look down upon them as beneath you.

I'm a fan of the Criterion catalog, but I'm also a fan of Troma's catalog, so I don't think I qualify.
Old 06-13-13, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Thinking about it more, to me it's kind of hard to define what a film snob is. I think it comes down to someone who is very vocal about their love for movies and articulates that in a passionate manner that some may construe as arrogant or prickly. Like I said it's kind of hard for me to "vocalize" it. I'm sure someone else can do a better job with that.

I love Seven Samurai and Yojimbo and several others that are considered classic Criterions but also Die Hard (which is hardly considered fine art) is one of my favorite movies. I still consider myself a snob but it's difficult to define.
I definitely see where you're coming from. Sometimes I wonder when I talk about a movie with "Joe Blow" if they see me as a snob or if its my snobbish side coming out like "This person I'm talking to couldn't possibly understand the intricacies of film like I do, I wonder if I sound snobbish to them." That's when I laugh to myself and say it's definitely them being stupid. *Jules laughs elegantly while dabbing the corner of his caviar encrusted mouth with a Criterion Hard Boiled DVD.*
Old 06-13-13, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
I don't know about douchebags, but I wonder about those who blindly buy every Criterion there is, simply because of the name. Sounds fanboyish, cultish. I have a few, but only those of movies I like.
I don't have even close to all of them, but one reason could be it's just fun, as a collector, to have a complete collection of something. Another reason would be to see movies that aren't what you'd normally pick. It doesn't mean you'll like them all, but you'll probably end up loving some you never would have considered watching ordinarily.
Old 06-13-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh if I was rich I would buy every Criterion, because I could. I guess that's kind of snobby.
Old 06-13-13, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd argue that Die Hard is still an amazingly well made movie on a technical and storytelling level. Just because it's fun doesn't mean it's not an accomplishment.

It would be snobby to dismiss Die Hard because it's popular. Not to side track, but it was snobby of the Oscars to pick Chariots of Fire over Raiders of the Lost Ark, because Raiders is the better movie and it's a freaking blast to watch.

It's not snobby to love action movies and seek out the roots of those movies by finding stuff like Seven Samurai.
Old 06-13-13, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
You just got added to the Spottedfeather ignore list.

Welcome, friend.
We're a select group of folks. Only the best. To paraphrase the inimitable Pierre Trudeau, "I've been ignored harder by far better people".

Originally Posted by cnicholls44
i think if you own a lot of criterions then you are definitely a film snob.
Perhaps. I don't consider myself a film snob, but my tastes just happen to gravitate towards the more esoteric offerings in foreign, documentary, drama, horror, suspense, and away from mainstream Hollywood fare. I simply have no interest whatsoever in Hollywood blockbusters. And yet, I own only a fraction of Criterion's output. Maybe I'm a snooty douche, but I'd like to think not. Those areas just happen to be where my interests lie. I'm certainly not a hipster. I'm just me. I don't follow anyone else.
Old 06-13-13, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't understand that mentality either. Luckily, that's not what I said.
But you specifically drew a line between the so-called masterpieces (Kurosawa, Hitchcock, etc.) and the more obscure titles in response to RagingBull80's comment as if to imply that "yes, it is possible to own a large number of Criterions and not be a film snob because your collection may include these particular popular titles." If that's not what you were trying to say, then I apologize. My point still stands though, even if not in direct response to what you were saying.
Old 06-13-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I wasn't meaning to imply that it definitely made you a snob, just pointing out that having a bunch of Criterions could mean different things.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.