Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When you watch a foreign movie, do you prefer subtitles or dubbing?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you prefer subtitles or dubbing?
Subtitles
95.24%
Dubbing
2.86%
I don't have a preference
1.90%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

When you watch a foreign movie, do you prefer subtitles or dubbing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: When you watch a foreign movie, do you prefer subtitles or dubbing?

Originally Posted by foofighters7
I prefer dubbing so much I will buy foreign releases of American movies, activate the dubbing then put on English subtitles but close my eyes, while I have my wife read it to me...
Does she change her voice for different characters?
Old 04-25-13, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a foreign film, I know, but there's just something right about watching Disney's Mulan with the Mandarin audio track and English subtitles on.

For everything else, I'd rather import a DVD than sit through a dubbed track.
Old 04-29-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That reminds me--I tend to prefer watching Italian westerns dubbed in English, esp. when they have American stars. Because it's just too jarring to watch cowboys speak Italian. I do have problems watching American stars I know get dubbed in a foreign language, e.g. Burt Lancaster in various Italian films or Vic Morrow in MESSAGE FROM SPACE and Nick Adams in GODZILLA VS. MONSTER ZERO. I did see MESSAGE FROM SPACE in Japanese once and I prefer the English dub, with the actual voices of the three American performers.
Yeah, it gets weird since that era and those genres actually had people speaking different languages as they were filming. Kim Newman says on the terrific Bird with the Crystal Plumage audio commentary that it's actually pretty surreal to watch. He points out that many art movies actually have equally bad dubbing. Truthfully, I think it goes at least partially unnoticed by US audiences, I know I've been guilty of thinking that subtitles=more serious. Apparently, for many Chinese viewers, Chow Yun Fat and Michelle Yeoh Koo-Chen's Mandarin in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is pretty difficult to listen to, evidently their accents and pronunciation are off. Obviously, I don't notice. Grady Hendrix, on his sadly defunct blog Kaiju Shakedown, actually pointed out that that's part of the deterrent for some: subtitled movies are "serious art-house movies." Hong Kong action cinema? Bah, subtitled movies can't be fun!

I recently watched a French thriller on Netflix called Tell No One. I'd finished the Harlan Coben novel the day before, and I found the movie a rather mediocre adaptation of a novel that was likewise. But it basked in critical acclaim when it came out, and I've heard some people say of it and other movies like it that they get much the praise they do partially because they're foreign and if they were made in the US, they wouldn't get the attention. Aside from a few cosmetic changes, it was more or less the same as the novel, the French milieu and sexual frankness being the only things about it that were sort of "foreign" to me. Obviously, there's plenty to be said on the topic, but there's some food for thought.
Old 04-29-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Nearly always put on subtitles. The only time I don't is for cheesy Hong Kong flicks from the 70's-90's, mainly Jackie Chan films. Fortunately he usually does his own dubbing.