Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Chu, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Chu, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
0%
2.04%
20.41%
20.41%
22.45%
20.41%
8.16%
2.04%
2.04%
0%
0%
Yo Joe? Hell No!
2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Chu, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: G.I. Joe: Retaliation (Chu, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Stunned that this is getting bad reviews
I know, right? I was just about as shocked when they drubbed both Tomb Raider movies and all of the Resident Evils.
Old 03-29-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a fun enough movie to watch, so I felt like I got my moneys worth. I am pretty biased though, becase I like the Rock in anything.

I have to admit to being a bit disappointed by the movie's scale. The pictures of the Rock made the movie seem much grander in scale than it actually was. I sort of assumed it would have a bigger budget, but alas, it clearly did not.

I also expected more Channing. If he
Spoiler:
would stop dying in movies before I finish my candy, that would be great.
That's just me though.

The cast was all pretty on point, except for the guy playing Flint. He was kind of dull. Ok, really dull. zzzzzzzzzz

Edited to add: The 3D was not impressive and not worth the upcharge in my opinion. Most of the time, I forgot it was even in 3d.
Old 03-29-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

It was great to see Adrienne Palicki again, I hope she has more movies coming out this year or is working on another tv show.
Old 03-29-13, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Received 701 Likes on 466 Posts

Saw it today. I thought it was a good/fun movie. I'm a fan of the comics and cartoon, and thought this was done pretty well. It probably wouldn't do well, but I'd love to see a proper Storm Shadow/Snake Eyes movie. I think this team would work well enough for a Transformers/GI Joe crossover, I'd see that too.

BTW, I haven't seen the first one in awhile, didn't they kill off Storm Shadow in that one? It wasn't explained here how he is still around, unless I missed it.
Old 03-29-13, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
BTW, I haven't seen the first one in awhile, didn't they kill off Storm Shadow in that one? It wasn't explained here how he is still around, unless I missed it.
He re-programmed the Kobayashi Maru test... He cheated.

fitprod
Old 03-29-13, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
You know, if he thinks the plot was plain vanilla for one movie, he should have tried watching it play out almost the same way five days a week in syndication.
Haha, touche.

I didn't necessarily think it was bad. It had some entertaining parts - hence 2.5 / 5.0, a pretty average score. But it's not something I'm going to recommend someone go out of their way to see.
Old 03-29-13, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

Received 701 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by fitprod
He re-programmed the Kobayashi Maru test... He cheated.

fitprod
He's bad-ass, but not on James Tiberius Kirk levels.
Old 03-30-13, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Paramount’s long-delayed G.I. Joe: Retaliation sequel (3,719 theaters) looks like an easy #1 with $15+M Friday after opening to $10.5M Thursday including $2.5M from some Wednesday night and Thursday midnight screenings. Audiences gave it an ‘A-’ CinemaScore, better than the first installment’s ‘B+’, and that should boost word of mouth for a $45M-$50M four-and-a-half-day Easter Weekend.
Old 03-30-13, 03:44 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I saw it in 2D last night and liked it well enough.

It was a solid "B"... but felt like a very small scale movie.

One beef I had (and it had to do with the lack of scale)...

Spoiler:
... there was no way that all of the Joe's were in that valley and were picked off that easy.

Are we to assume that Scarlett, Ripcord, Breaker, Heavy Duty,etc., were in that same valley?

No way. Maybe they're all retired like "Joe".

I had to suspend my belief quite a bit for that.

... but still, for what it was worth, it was a good romp (sans the hollow acting by Flint).
Old 03-30-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
One beef I had (and it had to do with the lack of scale)...

Spoiler:
... there was no way that all of the Joe's were in that valley and were picked off that easy.

Are we to assume that Scarlett, Ripcord, Breaker, Heavy Duty,etc., were in that same valley?

No way. Maybe they're all retired like "Joe".

I had to suspend my belief quite a bit for that.
Here's another scale issue of sorts.
Spoiler:
In the first movie, G.I. Joe wasn't an American military branch but rather a joint worldwide effort. Did this movie ever address how they went from that to simply an American team?

Also, given the enmity established previously between Duke and CC, it's weak to not only off Duke at the beginning but also to not at least let CC kill Duke directly.

On the subject of Duke and MIA Joes,
Spoiler:
anyone else recall that Marlon Wayans had once let it slip that the original plan was to kill of Ripcord early in the sequel? If so, does anyone else feel that all of Channing Tatum's scenes were intended for Marlon Wayans and all of the Rock's scenes were intended for Channing Tatum?

Heck, they even try to shoehorn in a life long friendship between Duke and Roadblock that seems more in keeping with the previously established relationship between Duke and Ripcord.
Old 03-30-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the MIA Joes

Spoiler:
It's possible that Zartan as the president had been cutting their funding and the team had to scale down to a smaller strike team. It's happened plenty of times in the comics.

Old 03-30-13, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
On the MIA Joes

Spoiler:
It's possible that Zartan as the president had been cutting their funding and the team had to scale down to a smaller strike team. It's happened plenty of times in the comics.

That's a good explanation but, if it's not in the movie, it doesn't count. It's akin to people saying "well it's explained in the book".

My theory on Ripcord is that
Spoiler:
he finally transferred to the Air Force, as he always wanted.
But again, it doesn't count.

I wonder if there will be an extended cut on BD.
Old 03-30-13, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp

I wonder if there will be an extended cut on BD.
According to this Chu is working on the disc now, and says theres a lot of deleted scenes

<iframe id="co007_692763" src="http://cms.springboardplatform.com/embed_iframe/122/video/692763/co007/collider.com/10" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Old 03-30-13, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was something that I would like a deleted scene to address
Spoiler:
Storm Shadow is there when the Joes are arming up at Willis' house. Then he is immediately at the side of Cobra Commander as they arrive at the world power meeting. There should have been at least a throw-away line where SS explains how he got away (since he would have last been seen getting captured at the mountain fortress).
Old 03-30-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
According to this Chu is working on the disc now, and says theres a lot of deleted scenes
Deleted scenes are cool but I would rather there be an actual extended cuts. If they're not in the actual feature, they simply don't count.

Last edited by RocShemp; 03-30-13 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-30-13, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought it was ok; not terrible, but not particularly good either. I liked the first one better as far as all around action and fun. I liked parts of this one, especially how they fixed the problems in the first movie with Cobra Commander and did a decent job re-introducing him given the ending of the first. Despite that, the film still doesn't do a very good job with a lot of the characters and the action scenes are cut pretty poorly. I don't blame Sommers for that, as Chu seemed to figure out how to get the characters to look and act the way they should to start, but just had no idea what to do with them afterwards.

Cobra Commander looked awesome, but really does nothing in the movie and is wasted. They do a good job reintroducing Commander and talking about Destro, but just ignored Storm Shadow reappearing which seemed bizarre. Roadblock was decent and I know it makes sense to capitalize on the presence of Dwayne Johnson, but I actually missed Duke, and thought they did a good job with his character early on and wish he was the lead. Decent supporting characters with Firefly and Flint, but I just really missed Baroness and Scarlett, and wish Vosloo was in the movie instead of just flashes of his face.

I don't know, they did a better GI Joe movie overall character wise, but still felt like something was missing.
Old 03-31-13, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I saw this tonight and thought it was pretty good. I did see it in 3D and thought the 3D effects were just okay. 3D is really hit and miss for me.

I actually liked it better than the 1st movie. This one felt alot more grounded and realistic and not as cartoonish and borderline science fiction like the 1st movie.

I liked Dwayne Johnson alot as Roadblock. He IMO is alot better than Duke. Much more commanding presence. Channing Tatum has grown on me as an actor, but I don't think in this series he works as a badass leader of a covert military unit like the Joe's. Roadblock feels more like a leader.

So was the video game scene between Roadblock and Duke supposedly the new scene they shot?

Bruce Willis' glorfied cameo was cool. I actually liked Colton more than John McClane in a A Good Day to Die Hard. Colton had alot of the snarkiness, funny 1-liners that was missing from McClane.

Overall, a very fun action-packed pre-summer movie. Looking forward to seeing Johnson again in less than 2 months for Fast and Furious 6.

So Johnson has 3 movies released in less than 6 months. That has to be close to a record for an actor. I don't recall anyone else having that many come out in such a short period of time.
Old 03-31-13, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Early weekend numbers.

‘G.I. Joe 2′ Debuts With 2nd Best Easter Weekend: $41.5M Domestic ($52.0M 4 day total) & $120M Worldwide.

Paramount is reporting “very strong” international results for sequel G.I. Joe: Retaliation more than double the first installment’s overseas cume for the same group of territories on the first Friday.
Old 03-31-13, 07:31 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn.
Old 03-31-13, 08:20 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

bring on G.I. Joe 3: Weather Dominatorrrrrrrrr!!!
Old 03-31-13, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guess adding the Rock to it really amped it up for people to go to it.
Old 03-31-13, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya
So was the video game scene between Roadblock and Duke supposedly the new scene they shot?

So Johnson has 3 movies released in less than 6 months. That has to be close to a record for an actor. I don't recall anyone else having that many come out in such a short period of time.
Yes, the scene was shot last spring.

Four within three months to be exact: Snitch, G.I. Joe, Pain & Gain, Fast & Furious 6.

Funny as this was Bruce Willis' 2nd franchise picture of the year. We still have him to look forward to in Red 2 and Sin City 2 later this year.
Old 03-31-13, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
We still have him to look forward to in [...] Sin City 2 later this year.
How is that even possible?
Old 03-31-13, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Yes, the scene was shot last spring.

Four within three months to be exact: Snitch, G.I. Joe, Pain & Gain, Fast & Furious 6.

Last Spring? You mean last Summer or Fall right? I assume it would have been filmed shortly after the postponement.

If that scene wasn't added, I wonder if we would have seen Roadblock's kids at all. I know there was another scene at the end where he comes home dressed in uniform greeted by his kids. Was that also added as well?

Forgot about Pain and Gain. Damn, that's alot of flicks for such a short period of time.
Old 03-31-13, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RocShemp
How is that even possible?
Supposed to come out October 2013

Red 2 is supposed to come out in August.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.