Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Bruce Willis Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One and Only Bruce Willis Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-22, 02:50 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: The One and Only Bruce Willis Thread

you would think they would have SOME provision that they didn't want their likeness to be used to play something horrible.... a murderer or rapist, a pedophile, animal abuser, etc... some might not want to have their likeness play someone who is gay... I mean it's all crazy legal stuff and defintely interesting, but I agrees that the technology is not there yet, and when it is, will the audience care?

Old 12-27-22, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I mean it's all crazy legal stuff and defintely interesting, but I agrees that the technology is not there yet, and when it is, will the audience care?
Yeah. I mean someone could make a new deepfaked movie that starred Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Bette Davis, and Rita Hayworth, but would modern audiences care? Most people under forty probably couldn't pick any of these people out of a line-up.

As much as I'd love to see a Batman movie with Michael Keaton's Batman facing off against Billy Dee Williams' Two-Face that looks and feels like it was filmed in 1995, or a string of Indiana Jones and Ghostbusters sequels that, likewise, have deepfaked versions of Harrison Ford, Dan Aykroyd, Bill Murray, Harold Ramis, and Ernie Hudson de-aged to their 1990s appearances, I question whether there would even be audience for those movies by the time it's both technologically and culturally/legally possible. Just because I love those movies and grew up with them doesn't mean the the upcoming generations of moviegoers will want to watch those movies any more than I care about that Bogart/Gable/Grant/Davis/Hayworth movie I mentioned earlier in this post.

Old 01-11-23, 07:49 AM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts

Against my better judgment, I watched White Elephant. I mostly did this because Jesse V. Johnson was the director, and I generally like his stuff with Scott Adkins. Wooo... that was rough.

I haven't watched any others of this DTV stuff Willis has done, but it was actually kind of sad. He just sits there, blank-faced, saying simple lines. But then someone is dubbing him too...
Old 01-11-23, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Against my better judgment, I watched White Elephant. I mostly did this because Jesse V. Johnson was the director, and I generally like his stuff with Scott Adkins. Wooo... that was rough.

I haven't watched any others of this DTV stuff Willis has done, but it was actually kind of sad. He just sits there, blank-faced, saying simple lines. But then someone is dubbing him too...
Yeah, I knew not to make this mistake. I have never ever liked or respected B-movies, even going back to the days of video stores.

It’s really false advertising using him like this, just so some dumb red necks can think there is a NEW Bruce Willis movie at Red Box.

Im glad he’s getting the money though.
Old 01-13-23, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts

I recently watched the two newer Die Hard movies.

Live Free or Die Hard had all the budget it needed, and was basically Die Hard 3 in the modern age for younger audiences.

A Good Day to Die Hard was short and thin like it was on a low budget - but was better than I remembered.

I'll always remember watching Die Hard 3 so much when I was younger, and still revisit it. I still feel it's the best the 80/90 action genre ever gave me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Troy Stiffler:
Brian T (01-13-23), story (01-13-23)
Old 02-16-23, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Rumer gave a new update on Willis. Sounds like his condition has gotten worse. It’s frontotemporal dementia. Read the IG post to see her full statement.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-16-23 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-16-23, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 401 Likes on 323 Posts

Not really a surprise, but still sad.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (02-16-23)
Old 02-16-23, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20354737

This link tells the symptoms of Willis' condition. He's going to be facing some really hard challenges in the coming years. I wish he and his family the best. But, sadly the Bruce Willis we knew and grew up with is long gone now.
Old 02-16-23, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 834 Likes on 703 Posts

Tragic end to what had been a charmed life. I wonder what they will do with the Die Hard franchise, you know Fox/Disney is just itching to reboot it with a young star.
Old 02-16-23, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

He looks good in that photo. Don't know if that was recent. Man I hate seeing this happen to one of my favorite actors.
Old 02-16-23, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 430 Likes on 311 Posts

Did his head injury from making Tears of the Sun lead to his diagnosis?
Old 02-16-23, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Did his head injury from making Tears of the Sun lead to his diagnosis?
No one knows for sure. That's just speculation.
Old 02-16-23, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,274 Likes on 2,104 Posts

Yeah that seems like the type of thing they could never get a definitive answer for.

In the early 90s, when I was just a kid learning to enjoy movies, Bruce Willis was my favorite actor. I loved just about anything he made at the time. Some was good, some was shit, but I enjoyed it all.

All of these updates on his condition are really damn depressing.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 02-17-23 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-16-23, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I feel so bad for Bruce. Nobody deserves dementia or Alzheimer’s. So truly awful.

I know a person in their 50s with dementia. At a restaurant recently, walked into the men’s restroom, and she’s a woman.

Can’t drive . Can’t remember much.
Old 02-17-23, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Damn, harsh to hear. Hope the best for him and his family.
Old 02-17-23, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 650 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I wonder what they will do with the Die Hard franchise, you know Fox/Disney is just itching to reboot it with a young star.
There were two plans a while back. One was a movie structured like The Godfather: Part II called McClane, that would feature Bruce Willis and Bonnie Bedelia as John and Holly in the present day scenes, and two younger actors in the same roles during the scenes set in the past. Disney cancelled it when they acquired Fox. Then there was talks of a TV series reboot. I've no idea what became of the latter.
Old 02-17-23, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Watching The Last Boyscout right now. He had such a good stretch.
Old 02-17-23, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Watching The Last Boyscout right now. He had such a good stretch.
Prime recently added the Extended Action Cut of G. I. Joe: Retaliation. Though still not perfect, it flows far better than the theatrical cut. The reason I bring it up is because Willis was excited to play Joe Colton, as he used to play with the old 12" figures when he was a kid. Looking back at his performance, it's a shame we never got a third film with him in a more prominent role. Likewise, I was always bummed out we never got a RED 3.
​​
Old 02-17-23, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 430 Likes on 311 Posts

I believe his last movie ever is called Assassin which will be released at the end of March.
https://gamerant.com/bruce-willis-la...to-first-look/
Old 02-17-23, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Entertainment Tonight interviewed a doctor who is an expert on this condition. Sadly the long term prognosis is bad. The average lifespan is about 8 to 10 years after diagnosis. Once the brain completely deteriorates, the rest of the body goes.
Old 02-17-23, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Geez. The news just keeps getting worse. His family must be going through hell, even knowing ahead of time how bad it's going to get.
Old 02-18-23, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He had that great run. He was in some frequently trashed higher profile movies almost yearly. Bonfire of the Vanities, Hudson Hawk, Breakfast of Champions, North, etc. But all released alongside well received films (ie North and Pulp Fiction in the same year).
Old 02-18-23, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 491 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
He had that great run. He was in some frequently trashed higher profile movies almost yearly. Bonfire of the Vanities, Hudson Hawk, Breakfast of Champions, North, etc. But all released alongside well received films (ie North and Pulp Fiction in the same year).
That's what I liked best about him, is instead of just sticking to one lane, he'd take a chance on all kinds of smaller or stranger movies. It's impossible to tell ahead of time what's going to be a hit and what isn't, so why not choose eclectically.

I was listening to a podcast about Ghost, and they quoted an interview where Willis regretted turning down Ghost because he thought it would be stupid. Which is funny, because if he had done Ghost, he probably wouldn't have been offered The Sixth Sense out of fear his association with the previous movie would tip off the audience to the ending.
Old 02-18-23, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Rumer gave a new update on Willis. Sounds like his condition has gotten worse. It’s frontotemporal dementia. Read the IG post to see her full statement.
Well, this one hits close to home. I had a cousin in his early 50s that died during peak Covid when we were coming out of lockdown(don't recall what he died from exactly though). He had the same thing as Willis. His decline was rapid after the diagnosis. He was a well respected cop (yes, one of the good ones) and amateur woodworker and remodeler in his spare time. Remodeled my parent's kitchen and redid my sister's back deck. He was also artistic and would build and hand paint corn hole boards for various friends and family. In other words an average normal dude. About 6 months after the diagnosis he only had a single word left in his vocabulary, "Hello!" and he was always an upbeat friendly guy, so his delivery of "Hello!" reflected that every time. He always delivered it with a smile which I can still picture. It didn't matter what you asked him, the answer was always the same. "How was your day?" "Hello!" What do you want for dinner?" "Hello!" "Who do you think's going to win the big game?" "Hello!" Silver lining was that his final personality was just as affable as he always was.

Had he not died and progressed much further, Doctors said it would get to the point where he wouldn't know the difference between a fork and a spoon and wouldn't even know what to do with them if you handed them to him.

I only saw him a few times a year but it was always fun catching up at family gatherings or birthdays and the like. Despite the always friendly and now childlike demeanor, it was depressing as hell when I did see him after the diagnosis and still makes my eyes well up thinking about it. Nobody deserves to go through something like that.

Hopefully the Willis family keeps all this private and lets Bruce go out peacefully and out of the public eye. This isn't something that the media or fans need to see updates on just because he was an iconic actor. Paparazzi need to leave the man/family in peace and let fans remember him as he was and not thrusting "gotcha" footage out there of his decline. Sadly, the first thing I thought of when I heard of this new diagnosis was Robin Williams. It was sad to see him go, but at least he went out on his terms.
The following 3 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
Bluelitespecial (02-18-23), DJariya (02-18-23), RocShemp (02-18-23)
Old 02-18-23, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

The final film of Bruce Willis’ career. And he’s not even the lead. Sadly this looks like crap. I believe this comes on VOD next month.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.